Question For Kaweco Sport Users...

Moynihan

I have for a few years, carried one of my Kaweco Sports (not always the same one) in the little leather slip case Kaweco makes, in my left front pants pocket, every day. I am wondering about other folks experiences re the following.

Knock on Wood, :rolleyes: , ef through B nibs, using cartridges, no or very very little, rare, creep: and starting up without any hesitation every time.

Only work done on the nibs (when first received), flushed first, shimmed the nib's channel, and one nib 's tip halves finger-nail-aligned.

I am not coming at this as "my favorite pen...etc. It is not. But, I have come to be kind of amazed this cheap pen's performance despite riding in pants pockets every day, all year.

What ya say, your experience?

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawndp

• Barkingpig

• fly_us

• tinto

Top Posters In This Topic

i only have mine for a few days but i really like it. it writes a little dry but i think that is a good thing since a lot of the time i have to use cheap copy paper. the nib is pretty smooth and it looks really nice.

i was thinking of buying a aluminium one later but im not sure if it will scratch a lot. i will buy the leather protective case for it but i still think that it will scratch the middel when screwing the cab on it.

does anyone else have that problem that you get scratches from screwing on the cab? i have that litle bit on my plastic one but you dont really see in the the black plastic

i only have mine for a few days but i really like it. it writes a little dry but i think that is a good thing since a lot of the time i have to use cheap copy paper. the nib is pretty smooth and it looks really nice.

i was thinking of buying a aluminium one later but im not sure if it will scratch a lot. i will buy the leather protective case for it but i still think that it will scratch the middel when screwing the cab on it.

does anyone else have that problem that you get scratches from screwing on the cab? i have that litle bit on my plastic one but you dont really see in the the black plastic

I have had a blue al sport for a few month, and it goes in my pocket along with my keys. It pretty much looks like the stonewashed version at this point. The threaded area under the cap and the section are just about the only areas that aren't scratched

I have a love-hate relationship with Kaweco Sports - I have two and they are both amazing writers for the most part. I use them bulk-loaded with ink as well as with cartridges - the clear one has a tendency of burping ink occasionally even with a cartridge installed. I just found my black one the other day and I don't remember the last time I used it but tried to scribble with it anyway - out came a perfect line of Baystate Concord. OP's right in that while this is not my fav pen, it is an amazingly good one for what I paid for it. Makes for a great casual gift as an introduction to FP's.

It does what it is designed for, a pocker travelling pen, nothing fancy or shiny, but reliable and could be bring along in any trip.

I have 5 ("art," AL, brass & 2 plastic regular sports) all have BB nibs & START immediately no matter how long since you have used them. I cannot say the same for my other pens except for one Pelikan & I am amazed a $20. pen can compare with one of the "high priced spreads." They were flushed before use but otherwise have all been remarkably problem free. I keep some of them in cases but usually just carry one in my pocket without the case. The AL is beginning to get a sort of patina & I will be glad when the brass shows a little more character. I do like the weight of the heavier pens but for casual use the plastic ones are "just fine."

I received one as a gift in January. I forced myself to finish the first cartridge just to try and smooth the nib a little. Hard startings, skipping and an irregular flow have been a constant until now.

I don't want to give up with this pen though –it was a present from my GF.

For me, the Kawecos are my go-to pens for travel. Never lost one, but not a big deal and the little things just keep on working.

I had a Stipula Passoporto as my travel pen, but when I had it in my front pocket it actually broke in half - so I grounded mine - no more travel!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Glad to hear of your good experience; I was given one as a gift, a black and gold job, it looks like a stub, something an old lady would use, the gold on the nib has worn out even though I've used it maybe 4 times, and since I can't find a converter it's stuck to cartridges, which I don't buy in general, so they eventually dry out. When I have used it it has been very dry and scratchy, the least buttery of all my pens by far. Lesson learned: don't let anyone give you a fountain pen as a gift, unless it's stipulated on a wish list. As for Kaweco, this pen has taught me to stay away, no matter how interesting they look. Yuck!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I also carry mine in the left front pocket. I use a broad nib and it is so smooth that I looked at their other pens-- but i dislike the smooth metal grip on the student. I do have an old Kaweco Dia that is also a good writer but not the equal of the sport, sadly.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I put mine in my tablet purse bag sometimes. It's also made it through the morning in my shorts pocket, which is potentially a dangerous place to be.