Question About Parker 51 Empire Cap Tarnish On It

lisantica

Hello,

I am preparing to sell some pens and this one will be for sale, but I was shocked when I saw that it has tarnish on it.

Does this seem like an authentic cap? I ask because I bought it second hand, so I was hoping some of you may know more about this pen.

Thank you.

Lisa

19182572601_462a7b45a7_z.jpg

19182572301_a766e47599_z.jpg

18991428308_44214c4141_z.jpg

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Matlock

• lisantica

• PAKMAN

That's not a vintage "Empire" cap Parker "51"; it's the modern Parker 51 SE, which I believe was issued in 2002. The cap is sterling silver with gold plating; you're seeing the silver migrate through the plating and then tarnishing.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Yes a modern LE 51 SE. Check ebay for pricing, these actually go for lots more than vintage 51's.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Yes a modern LE 51 SE. Check ebay for pricing, these actually go for lots more than vintage 51's.

...though they go for lots less than vintage "51" "Empire" pens...

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

I just posted it in the sale area here on FPN for $295…much less than I paid.

Thank you for the help, hopefully someone gets a deal.

Edited by lisantica

That's not a vintage "Empire" cap Parker "51"; it's the modern Parker 51 SE, which I believe was issued in 2002. The cap is sterling silver with gold plating; you're seeing the silver migrate through the plating and then tarnishing.

--Daniel

The cap is not Sterling Silver as it is not hallmarked. Only in the USA was it claimed to be silver. This claim was not made by Parker. As it was a UK made pen it would have to be hallmarked to be Sterling Silver. At best it is 'White Metal'.

Quote from a US advert by Sanford/Newell Rubbermaid. "...with all white metal cap in Empire State design...".

Be also aware that early pens in the series suffered from barrell cracking.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

The cap is not Sterling Silver as it is not hallmarked. Only in the USA was it claimed to be silver. This claim was not made by Parker. As it was a UK made pen it would have to be hallmarked to be Sterling Silver. At best it is 'White Metal'.

Quote from a US advert by Sanford/Newell Rubbermaid. "...with all white metal cap in Empire State design...".

Be also aware that early pens in the series suffered from barrell cracking.

You're thinking of the Vista Blue model. This one's black.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

You're thinking of the Vista Blue model. This one's black.

--Daniel

True, but I have heard of one black 51 SE that developed cracks.

Peter

True, but I have heard of one black 51 SE that developed cracks.

No, I was referring to your description of the cap.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

No, I was referring to your description of the cap.

--Daniel

I see. The only difference is that the black pen has gold plated highlights. The cap is still white metal.

Peter

I see. The only difference is that the black pen has gold plated highlights. The cap is still white metal.

Is it described as "white metal", or as "vermeil?

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Is it described as "white metal", or as "vermeil?

--Daniel

Depends which advert/announcement you read. One does describe it as "vermeil". However if it was real vermeil i.e. gold plated sterling silver, it would be described as vermeil and not as "vermeil". The fact that it is not hallmarked indicates that it is white metal. If you tried to sell it as Sterling Silver in the UK you would probably end up in The Tower on bread and water :) .

Peter

Depends which advert/announcement you read. One does describe it as "vermeil".

How do the other adverts/announcements describe the cap of the black pen?

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

No wonder we declared our independence.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm wondering now if I should drop the price. This one shows no cracking on the black barrel.

I have it listed here and auction site.

I'm wondering now if I should drop the price. This one shows no cracking on the black barrel.

I have it listed here and auction site.

No. Don't drop the price, they are great pens if no cracking is apparent.

Peter

No wonder we declared our independence.

The law is very strict in the UK, and in several European countries especially France. If an item is not hallmarked it is illegal to describe it as silver, it must be marked as white metal. If Parker had decided to make the caps from silver they would have been hallmarked. In the USA silver items are normally marked as Sterling Silver and this is accepted in the UK providing they were not itended for sale in the UK in the first place.

Peter

How do the other adverts/announcements describe the cap of the black pen?

--Daniel

Usually white metal with gold plated highlights. If something is described as "vermeil" that means that it is giving the impression of vermeil but is not real vermeil. Hence the saying something is "so and so in inverted commas", meaning it is not as it appears. The English language is very strange.

Peter

Usually white metal with gold plated highlights. If something is described as "vermeil" that means that it is giving the impression of vermeil but is not real vermeil. Hence the saying something is "so and so in inverted commas", meaning it is not as it appears. The English language is very strange.

Can you post some examples of adverts/announcements that describe the black pen's cap as white metal with gold plated highlights?

How are the sterling grid Sonnets marked for metal content?

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer