Requesting Pen Recommendation.

Kasbe

Hello FPN.

I have fallen into the trap. As I purchased my first pen, a Lamy Safari, I thought I wouldn't get hooked. But this is the case no more. The "Why not try a Preppy to feel the difference? It's cheap" thought came, and I fell for it. Then a professor from my lab let me try more different pens...

I would like to have a second, reliable pen. Some good friends of mine are visiting Japan this summer and I am thinking about asking them to get one from there for me. My budget is not that great, I'm looking to spend around 60$ on it (which would lead me to something like the Platinum Plaisir or Balance if I ordered online). But I wonder, if someone is getting the pen for me directly in Tokyo... does this open other possibilities, models or choices? What pens would you consider in the price range of <60$ in Tokyo?

Suggestions, recommendations and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Sasha Royale

• Kasbe

• Dragonmaster Lou

What if you go next door to Taiwan and get a TWSBI ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You can save a great deal of money on some items by shopping directly in Tokyo. For example, the Iroshizuku line of inks are in the $12-$14 range (depending on exchange rate). Platinum Preppies are about $1 (these make excellent backup pens or ones that you want to just throw in your bag). You'll also find some good Platinum and Pilot pens that will get you in the < $60 price range. Platinum Plasir, Cool, and Balance come to mind. You might even be able to land a PTL-5000 (14k nib). Sailor has some good pens in the $50 range as well. The Japanese are very fond of fountain pens and carry a complete selection of Western manufacturers, but you would expect to pay full retail for these.

If I went back today, I'd probably start with getting some unique inks that are hard to find in the West or the ones that are much more affordable. Then, I'd look at getting another Nakaya, but that's an answer to a different question!

Buzz

I would look for a pen not available in the US. If your friends are fountain pen challenged, then do some research online and give them a few options for them to choose from.

uhhh you wont go far with a 60USD pen budget... especially if your going to look for exclusive pens when I say exclusive no they arent exclusive price but only X shop sells them

if ever i would budget at least 500USD to have a bigger budget but of course 300USD wont hurt either else 60USD can buy you 3 exclusive sailor inks I wonder about that if you know where they are going and you want inks drop by the thread in my signature

at least this will ensure you your pen would be unique in your immediate vacinity once you have it... the problem will be the after sales support :X

Sailor pens are more common in terms of exclusivity

Pilot comes second

Platinum comes third

I can not guide you to this venture I mean sure you can get pens under the 60USD price range some of them can be good but people can probably acquire them through other channels

if ever

Pilot Celemo or Pilot Custom

Platinum 15kt 5000 standard

will be your max price point pens under this budget

100-200 gives you more leeway at at least access to more options from Sailor X Shop colaborations

that just pretty much depends on the body your after

Profit, Pro gear slim, Profit standard and their various forms

Heritage 91 from Pilot (but people can acquire this from engeika if they so wish)

but the pens will be "cheaper" but since your not in the 100USD mark that means you got to pay with tax

Edited by Algester

• 5 weeks later...

If you're looking for a great writing pen that will fit in your pocket the Pilot Prera is a great steel nib pen. The Sella 90s (stargazer here) is a great gold nib pen in the same size. I have both and love them.

Ok I'll go with Algester - add a bit of cash and get a Sailor Pro Gear Slim. Under 60$ you'll just waste your money on a pen that won't give you that much pleasure. The ProGear Slim is hands down the best value for a gold nibbed pen and who knows - in Tokyo you may get a special edition to sweeten the deal!

Btw - that's a funny story about your lab prof -

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

You can get a Platinum Balance (a great inexpensive pen, btw) from Japan for under $30 with shipping through the dreaded online auction so put that aside and go for maximum bang for your bucks. If you can spend an extra $10-$15, I think the Platinum 3776 Century is an excellent pen with a springy 14K nib.

People are going to pimp for their favorites and I'm no different - I have a preference for Platinum. I love their nibs.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

You can get a Platinum Balance (a great inexpensive pen, btw) from Japan for under $30 with shipping through the dreaded online auction so put that aside and go for maximum bang for your bucks. If you can spend an extra $10-$15, I think the Platinum 3776 Century is an excellent pen with a springy 14K nib.

People are going to pimp for their favorites and I'm no different - I have a preference for Platinum. I love their nibs.

And the Plaisir is a wonderful pen considering that it goes for anywhere from $12-24, and comes in F and M.

I'm thinking of adding a Gun Metal to my Plaisir collection. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I'm actually quite torn between the Platinum 3776 Century and the Pilot Custom 74 myself... Both cost about the same coming from Japan, so it's a tough choice...