Sailor Bungbox L'amant

SNAK

So I compared the L'Amant ink against a few of my purple inks (Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses Version 1, Version 2, De Atramentis Purple Violet, and Diamine Pansy). Aussie Roses version 1 was leaning too red/brown and Aussie Roses version 2 had the right kind of purple but had muddy tone which didn't suit. De Atramentis Purple Violet was the right kind of purple too, but because Diamine Pansy was similar and was made by the same brand as the other component of the mixture I was going to use (Hope Pink), I went with Diamine Pansy as the base ink to mix the Hope Pink into, to try and get colour of the mixed ink as close as possible to L'Amant.

So I mixed 1 part Diamine Hope Pink to 4 parts Diamine Pansy and the colour is similar to L'Amant, but now that I look at the photos in detail I think I could have added a little more Hope Pink in the mix to shift the colour pinker. Perhaps I will test it again next time as I am still curious about paper chromatography test of the mix.

Diamine inks are relatively easy to get a hold of and now that the Pansy ink is available as an individual bottle rather than as the whole Flower Set, the components of this mixture are much easier to come by compared to the L'Amant ink itself. The colour can be made to be pretty close to L'Amant, but the ink's behaviour and flow characteristics are of course different (Sailor vs. Diamine) and therefore shading quality is different too.

Anyway, here are the photos. I think I need to add a bit more Hope Pink to the fake L'Amant so I will keep working on it. In all the writing samples, only the same pen with same nib unit was used, and between the ink swaps the pen was flushed thoroughly and nib unit was ultrasonically cleaned.

22630696790_cc9f6d597d_b.jpg

L-R: Sailor Bungbox L'Amant, Diamine Pansy, Diamine Hope Pink

22818727775_d5ced4c419_b.jpg

Upper half is written with Fake L'Amant, bottom half is genuine L'Amant.

22630687500_e8346d26a6_b.jpg

22818701815_5da994d192_b.jpg

22197552073_9d846a6ea8_b.jpg

22805212872_0f36ebce4c_b.jpg

Pen: TWSBI 580 Rose Gold with vintage Waterman #2 Canada 14K nib and ebonite feed from FPR

Ink: Sailor Bungbox L'Amant compared to a mixture of Diamine Pansy and Diamine Hope Pink

Paper: Tomoe River (White)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SNAK

• mehandiratta

• Cyber6

• inotrym

add a few more hope pink as the L amant is indeed a bit pinker as for shading yeah totally different story because perhaps it's the lubrication thats affecting it

I might try the same and make cigar... I know I need a red component and a green component I'm just not too sure if Oku-yama is going to cut it (I used Tokiwa-Matsu nudged with Rouge Hematite no adverse affects so far I just don't know if I can make a big batch)

I wish I have the same access of red stuff as Ishimura Osamu...

Edited by Algester

So I compared the L'Amant ink against a few of my purple inks (Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses Version 1, Version 2, De Atramentis Purple Violet, and Diamine Pansy). Aussie Roses version 1 was leaning too red/brown and Aussie Roses version 2 had the right kind of purple but had muddy tone which didn't suit. De Atramentis Purple Violet was the right kind of purple too, but because Diamine Pansy was similar and was made by the same brand as the other component of the mixture I was going to use (Hope Pink), I went with Diamine Pansy as the base ink to mix the Hope Pink into, to try and get colour of the mixed ink as close as possible to L'Amant.

So I mixed 1 part Diamine Hope Pink to 4 parts Diamine Pansy and the colour is similar to L'Amant, but now that I look at the photos in detail I think I could have added a little more Hope Pink in the mix to shift the colour pinker. Perhaps I will test it again next time as I am still curious about paper chromatography test of the mix.

Diamine inks are relatively easy to get a hold of and now that the Pansy ink is available as an individual bottle rather than as the whole Flower Set, the components of this mixture are much easier to come by compared to the L'Amant ink itself. The colour can be made to be pretty close to L'Amant, but the ink's behaviour and flow characteristics are of course different (Sailor vs. Diamine) and therefore shading quality is different too.

Anyway, here are the photos. I think I need to add a bit more Hope Pink to the fake L'Amant so I will keep working on it. In all the writing samples, only the same pen with same nib unit was used, and between the ink swaps the pen was flushed thoroughly and nib unit was ultrasonically cleaned.

22630696790_cc9f6d597d_b.jpg

L-R: Sailor Bungbox L'Amant, Diamine Pansy, Diamine Hope Pink

22818727775_d5ced4c419_b.jpg

Upper half is written with Fake L'Amant, bottom half is genuine L'Amant.

22630687500_e8346d26a6_b.jpg

22818701815_5da994d192_b.jpg

22197552073_9d846a6ea8_b.jpg

22805212872_0f36ebce4c_b.jpg

Wow... This looks good... Now I must try the combo

Pen: TWSBI 580 Rose Gold with vintage Waterman #2 Canada 14K nib and ebonite feed from FPR

Ink: Sailor Bungbox L'Amant compared to a mixture of Diamine Pansy and Diamine Hope Pink

Paper: Tomoe River (White)

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

uhhhh, WOW! that ink is lovely. I don't know if I would ever use it, but I love how it photographs.

But more importantly, WOW! I LOVE your TWSBI set up with all those modified nibs. I WANT!

Excellent review. On a related note, how can I get a TWSBI with one of those awesome flex nibs!!

• 4 months later...

Thank you, Snak, for this. Sadly I can't get hold of L'Amant anywhere but the Diamine mix should do for now and is much more easily come by.

Good review; thanks. I have decided for my peace of mind to give up the obsessive quest for hard-to-obtain Sailor inks. L'Amant is the one exception; I still want to try to get it.

Good review; thanks. I have decided for my peace of mind to give up the obsessive quest for hard-to-obtain Sailor inks. L'Amant is the one exception; I still want to try to get it.

Same here.. God knows when will I get it

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Do you mind if I ask who has Diamine Pansy, and if possible, any of the others as singles? I thought I was pretty good with Google, but it eludes me.

Do you mind if I ask who has Diamine Pansy, and if possible, any of the others as singles? I thought I was pretty good with Google, but it eludes me.

Diamine sells it directly

Diamine is from UK, so UK vendors should have it. If not, you can always order directly from Diamine.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,