Buy The Nib, Not The Pen

Chouffleur

The nib is very important.

But it is not the only thing that is very important.

A lot of things have to be right for that perfect writing experience.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Bo Bo Olson

• ac12

• gordonhooker

Top Posters In This Topic

Nib & matching feed, girth, length and balance. For you, which might well be different for me.

Long posting medium-short, Standard and medium-long IMO should be posted to get that perfect balance that was looked for before cartridge pens became the norm. The pen companies went through a lot of trouble trying to find a perfect balance on their pens.

The way you hold the pen; if in classic tripod a Large pen with out posting can give some balance, but if you use the Forefinger up tripod variant, I find a Large pen to be too small***, and posted too heavy.

****There are those who for religious reasons, refuse to post any pens; including medium short like a Pelikan 140, standard pens like a 400/Esterbrook, or medium long pens like a 600/P-51. I don't mind.... :gaah: but then they have the Nerve to complain those pens are too short for them. :wallbash: :angry:

An odd pen out; I'd sworn the thin Snorkel....was a medium-long pen like a P-51. Then one day I sort of measured it against a Safari. :yikes: The Snorkel is a Large pen. :unsure:

It has perfect balance posted.

I prefer the girth of a 600 to the girth of a modern Large 146 or 800. I like the girth, and length and do post the '50-60 medium large 146. (Great '50's fabled MB nib of 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex + that I'd hoped for.)

So if you like fat pens, you might not like a thinner pen like a Snorkel or a medium large Geha 725, which to me have perfect balance....posted of course. (one of three completely different pens that when I was newer and more into comparing had for me perfect balance. The standard sized MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-54 only), with slightly thicker girth, brass piston parts back weighting. The elegant slightly thin medium large Geha 725 and the silver P-75. (Even though I'd prefer the French version because of the round section, not the triangular American version. I changed how I grip a pen from classic tripod to forefinger up....still the balance is there.)

I have not sat down and tested the Snorkel vs the Geha 725, but would add the Snorkel to my best balanced pens with out it.

Posted, I think the King of Pens the Snorkel :notworthy1: is slightly better balanced than the Prince of Pens the P-51.

I sure rave a lot about the Snorkel....and I only have one. :happyberet:

If you like giant, over-sized pens....you have no problems at all...you buy both a 1000 and a 149.

The '50-60's 149 can have either semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex....if you want a nib with a bit of character....and in the safer 14 K.

I find the modern 'Springy' MB nib to be adequate only. But I want a bit more life in my nib. A Springy nib is a good comfortable nib. You don't have to worry about it in 18 K like you might have to with a springy to semi-flex nib of a 18 K 1000. (do have a light Hand for that nib....it can bend and stay bent.)

I won't buy any....I find it takes me a minute to get use to using a Large pen (outside the Snorkel) and I've tried both the 149-1000 and they are too Big and Clunky for me.

There is the fabled 18 C/K vintage nibs with good to grand flex....I'd certainly buy. I wouldn't buy 18 K modern....to easy to bend and stay bent....from my reading.....reading keeps you from buying the wrong nib/pen. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The lamy 2000. Great nib, but just didn't get along with the rest of the pen so it sat unused. Ended up giving it away..nib and the pen goes hand in hand for me. Of course a lousy nib makes the pen useless too no matter how nice the rest of the pen is.