• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deacondavid

• Algester

• chainwhip

• trulylefty

Hehe, Algester, I have had the Hermes one for quite a few months now. In all honesty, it's too fine of a nib to have the nice line variation I like. It's like a cross between a fine and a medium italic, of which I find a little pointless. I like my italics broad.

The best italic in a VP is still the custom ones from Richard Binder. They are absolutely amazing.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. I'm guessing the end result is going to be a line like those that the Plumix or the Prera CM nib put down. If it's close to those, I expect that I will be happy.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

in case anyone is wondering this is US exclusive... unless you want to be filthy rich feeling then you can buy them also from hermes

Kind of surprised that Pilot is making something exclusive to the US, especially this nib unit. Is demand for stubs that much higher here?

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Kind of surprised that Pilot is making something exclusive to the US, especially this nib unit. Is demand for stubs that much higher here?

maybe quite so I mean US has the metallic finish VP and I saw that it was last time listed in the Mitsukoshi pen fair in the Shuumi Bungu no hako magazine labeled as Metalic Capless 外国(gaikoku) or foreign

and the metallic finish isnt offered by Pilot Japan so I think thats really a given that the US VP can now be considered a line on its own thats no longer just a capless

Edited by Algester

I had Linda from IndyPenDance make me a 0.5mm Daily Italic (between a stub and italic) for a VP recently. It is amazing. That doesn't mean I probably won't try a stock one.

I keep hearing how stub nibs are becoming considered a "specialty" nib, and are not really being offered as freely as they once were. What a wonderful way to work in a niche market.

maybe quite so I mean US has the metallic finish VP and I saw that it was last time listed in the Mitsukoshi pen fair in the Shuumi Bungu no hako magazine labeled as Metalic Capless 外国(gaikoku) or foreign

and the metallic finish isnt offered by Pilot Japan so I think thats really a given that the US VP can now be considered a line on its own thats no longer just a capless

Huh. I honestly had never looked at what wasn't in the Pilot Japan website listings. I guess I was so distracted by all of the things listed there that aren't being offered here. For me, I would gladly trade having the metallic finish Vanishing Point models (I personally find them to be a bit garish) for a better selection of nibs being offered on the Custom 912 here.

I had Linda from IndyPenDance make me a 0.5mm Daily Italic (between a stub and italic) for a VP recently. It is amazing. That doesn't mean I probably won't try a stock one.

I just got this exact same nib and it is unbelievable. 'Such a great nib, super-smooth and very easy to write with and still get nice line variation. This is my normal handwriting using this nib, not doing anything special.

http://s7.postimg.org/y9el6uut7/IMG_4728.jpg

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

OH NO!

I have been wavering on getting a VP, but I wasn't sure about the appearance or if the clip would interfere with a left-handed underwriter. The nib looks fantastic in the pics from Goulet. Is this new nib a nail or is there some softness to it? I was hoping to put this off until the DC Pen show, but I am getting weaker and weaker. Also, how sturdy is the "clicker". I am constantly playing with my pens, so I would probably be a rabid clicker.

Sorry, I should have asked in my previous comment but would I be better off having a custom nib created by IndyPenDance (a daily italic) or the factory stub as I am sure the warranty would be voided.

I'm a lefty and I don't mind the clip. I know some lefties (and righties) who absolutely hate the clip. It depends on how you hold the pen.

The clicker is bomb-proof. It feels very solid when you use it, with next to no play in it.

The nibs are the best part. You don't have to worry about voiding any warranty because of how easy they are to swap. When you unscrew the body, the nib unit slips right out. In fact, that's how you fill the pen, if you use a converter. That also means you can buy a dozen nib units (and they are pretty cheap, around 50-60 bucks) and pop them in and out of the pen to your heart's content.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

I am somewhat of a clicker and my 1999 Vanishing Point was used daily at work from 1999 until I retired in March, 2013, about 14 years. Looks and functions just like a brand new one, the mechanism between it and the one I bought last Fall felt exactly the same, no sign of wear anywhere, on the finish, mechanism. Amazing. About 14 years of daily use, and I click when I stop writing to muse over what I'm going to say next.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

in case anyone is wondering this is US exclusive... unless you want to be filthy rich feeling then you can buy them also from hermes

I cannot seem to find the stub through Hermes on google. Can anyone help me with a link? Does it mean it is super expensive from them? Would love the stub but dont want to pay shipping to Europe if it can be avoided.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

I cannot seem to find the stub through Hermes on google. Can anyone help me with a link? Does it mean it is super expensive from them? Would love the stub but dont want to pay shipping to Europe if it can be avoided.

http://usa.hermes.com/leather/writing/writing-instruments/nautilus-fountain-pen/nautilus-fountain-pen-71397.html

yep filthy expensive indeed

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Very tantalising.

Though BG seems to have reservations.

• 4 weeks later...

Goulet has them in stock now.