Opinions On Hemisphere?

Slpederson

My oldest son is a mid-level US Army officer graduating from another Army school, about to get an early promotion, and taking a posting to a foreign embassy. He inquired about my preference for fountain pens, so this seems to be a good occasion for a gift from proud papa of his first FP. A Waterman of course. I'm thinking gold nib. So I found a new Hemisphere on eBay for a not too outrageous price. Black lacquer and gold, very professional in appearance. And he doesn't mind a slimmer pen.

But I've never owned or used a Hemisphere, so I'm a bit cautious. I'd appreciate comments on the Hemisphere as a FP in general, and as a first FP. Or anything else of the collective wisdom here. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• redbike

• ac12

• Slpederson

No opinions?

I was interested in this because I have considered buying a Hemisphere fountain pen as a consort to my Hemisphere ballpoint. Nice to have a set even if the fountain pen just looks good.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have the Lauriete (sp?) and I like it. It is a slim pen like the Hemisphere.

With used pens, you may have to tweak the nib to get a good flow. So plan on testing and tweaking the nib. Give him a couple of converters (if you only give him one, it will fail and stop him), a bottle of ink, and a couple packs of cartridges. Then he has his choice of what he wants to use. For many new FP users, it is easier to start with cartridges, then graduate to bottle ink once the bug hits them.

Congrats.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have a green Hemi that I purchased from Montgomery Pens several years ago. Metal body with, I think, some kind of enamel finish, so heavier than a comparably sized non-metal pen. I can't remember if the nib is gold, gold plated, or something else, but it's a nice writer. Takes a standard Waterman converter, which are easily available. I think it would make for a very nice first fountain pen.

I have a Hemisphere ballpoint and rollerball, but not the fountain pen. They are very nice, well-made pens. The grip is a bit narrower than I prefer, but I still enjoy them. I do have a Waterman Expert fountain pen, which writes like a dream, but the medium nib is more on the broad side. For an nice introductory fountain pen, I might consider the Sheaffer Prelude, medium nib, or the stainless steel with gold trim ("Flighter") Parker Frontier, a humble but reliable pen.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bradley,

The Hemisphere is a great writer. Waterman steel nibs are among the best being made today. I have the stainless version and it is a true value at the price point.

Waterman stands as a true benchmark for pen manufacturing; Reliable, tough and excellent writers all around. Their inks mirror a similar reputation. I have very seldom encountered any negative feedback on the ownership of a Waterman. I have 4 Phileas and a Carene. The styling of the more modern designs to me is a bit too conservative, but then, this is satisfactory to many.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?