What Model Are These

gordonhooker

Hi All,

I am still learning about identifying models of pens at the moment. I saw this picture of 2 parker fountain pens and a ballpoint does anyone have an idea what model or era they are from?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/gordonhooker/ParkerAnyIdea_zpsospkc3o5.jpg

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gordonhooker

• mariom

• mitto

• icardoth

The green pen is a british Duofold. There should be a number in the nib. A 25 means standard Duofold, a 20 means Victory, a 10 means Duofold Jr and a 5 means Slimfold.

You should take a picture from the right pen in uncapped state in order to identity it.

Great thanks - here is another pic with the caps off. I don't have access to the pens at the moment or I take some macros and post them here.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/gordonhooker/_20_zpsrqfrjyoo.jpg

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

The ballpoint Parker looks like a P51 cap actuated. Would need a better photo of the clip on the cap.Question; Does the ballpoint have a jewel on the top of the cap? A photo of the ballpoint with the cap off so that you could show the barrel with the threads in view and if pen looks like thishttp://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Jotteraddict62/001_zps3zbqv8zs.jpg If so then it is a member of the P51 family.

Great thanks Jotter it would be nice if it was a P51 - the green one also has a ballpoint and a pencil and looks very much like a set my dad owned years ago. I will get to have a look at them up close on Saturday and I am looking forward to it.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Well, I just spotted this ad on Gumtree, and from what you say it sounds like you've already bought it.

If so, you got a bargain. If not, you should snap it up.

Mario

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

I pick them up on Saturday - yes I have agreed to buy them - the main reason is - I always wanted the fountain pen my dad had when I was a child and the green one looks very similar to it. He also had another one not sure of the brand but it was also green and had a lever action for filling the ink bladder. Not sure what happened to them I have always thought they went missing when mum and dad moved houses back in the late 80's.

I asked the question here because I am interested in finding out more about the models as part of my learning curve.

Edited by GordonOZ

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Well, as far as I was able to tell from the photos, the green one is a Duofold Junior (looks like there's a 10 stamped on the nib). I have one and it's a nice writer, but a bit slim for my likes. The pencils are quite nice as well, but I'm having trouble finding the right sized leads - looks like there's at least one included with yours. The red fountain pen could be a Parker 17.

Good luck with all of them .

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Great Mario thank you very much. The Parker 17 looks more like the pic I have... My brother has an old propelling pencil and he has not been able to find lead for it either. The leads were quite a bit thicker than what you can get for pencils like the lamy 2000.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Leads are like 0.9 or 1.1mm.

Actually, they appear to be neither. They are close to 1.0mm exactly in actual measurement, taken from some leads which came with a pencil I bought. Most modern leads sold as 1.0mm are actually 0.9, which is too fine to engage with the clutch. 1.1mm - which seems to be a common name for 1.18mm sized leads - are too big to fit through the tip, from where these pencils are fed.

My work-around is to dip the tip of the lead in shellac and let it dry. This makes the lead big enough to engage the clutch, but too big to pass through the tip easily without scraping off the shellac, so I have to unscrew the pencil tip to get the lead in. It's a pain, but it works, and I don't use pencils enough to make something I have to do too often.

Edited by mariom
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

where there is a will there is a way I like that idea.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Oh well I should have taken some time off work and gone and picked up the pens today - I just got a message from the person that had agreed on the sale and was going to wait until I could there on Saturday to pick up the pens, the seller was offered a higher price and sold them to the other person. There you go... always strike when the iron is hot.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Actually after Mario's comments above I did some searching on the possible models and then asked the person selling how old the pens were when I found out they were fairly old I suggested to him that maybe he withdraws them from sale and does some research to get an idea of their value and then put them back on sale at a value more in line with their value. I also suggested that he breaks the 2 sets apart and get some close up photos so a collector can get an idea of they are looking at. When I spoke to him on the phone he said they belonged to his parents and he remembered them using them as a child and he is not a pensioner so the pens would have been most likely over 50 years old. I would not have been able to live with myself if I thought I had ripped the poor fellow off - apparently the person who came in after me offered him twice the price so they obviously knew they were a real bargain.

It would have been plain unethical for someone to take advantage of a pensioner who did not know the pens real value.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Actually after Mario's comments above I did some searching on the possible models and then asked the person selling how old the pens were when I found out they were fairly old I suggested to him that maybe he withdraws them from sale and does some research to get an idea of their value and then put them back on sale at a value more in line with their value. I also suggested that he breaks the 2 sets apart and get some close up photos so a collector can get an idea of they are looking at. When I spoke to him on the phone he said they belonged to his parents and he remembered them using them as a child and he is not a pensioner so the pens would have been most likely over 50 years old. I would not have been able to live with myself if I thought I had ripped the poor fellow off - apparently the person who came in after me offered him twice the price so they obviously knew they were a real bargain.

It would have been plain unethical for someone to take advantage of a pensioner who did not know the pens real value.

If that is the case then I agree with you.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that common decency pays off - after all this time I have spoken to the guy who had these pens for sale and I offered him a fair price conditional on what condition the pens are in when I see them on this coming Friday. He did take my advice and withdrew them from sale and has while he asked around to find a reasonable value for the pens. I am still interested because the green one looks very much like the one my father owned along with a pencil.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Just curious, what's the going rate for these up north? :)

Seem to be not uncommon down here, Parker made millions of these and they used to pop up regularly in estate clearouts.

I bought mine (a standard English aerometric Duofold with 25 nib) in blue color for around $38 with no shipping charges . The pen is still on its way from Karachi. Hope I haven't overpaid.

Khan M. Ilyas