M205 And M215 - Cap Differences

BayesianPrior

Having recently purchased an M205 in black and an M215, and being unsuccessful in finding my question previously answered on these discussion boards, I have a question about differences in the caps and whether the difference is due to date of manufacture, or a difference in the aesthetics of the models themselves.

The difference lies in a part of the cap which I cannot name, but will call, for now, the coronet. This is the part of the cap which sits directly above the clip ring and cradles the button depicting the Pelikan logo.

On my M205, the coronet is metal (silver coloured) but on my M215 it is black plastic.

With apologies to Sargetalon, the two links below should illustrate what I mean. It doesn't help that on The Pelikan's Perch some M205s have metal coronets and some have plastic. Any insight welcomed.

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/m215-rings1.jpg?w=672&h=92

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/m205-black1.jpg?w=672&h=83

bayesianprior.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sargetalon

• BayesianPrior

• MarkTrain

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the answer is a little of both. A matter of styling as well as convention. That piece of the crown cap top that you called the coronet is a nut to keep the inner cap and clip assembly attached to the cap. It will unscrew to facilitate disassembly of the cap.

All M205s have a metal ring except for the clear (2005) and light blue (2009) demos. All M215s (2005-2008) have a plastic ring. Those two M205 demos were out the same time as the M215s so it could relat to conventions at the time of manufacturing. Why Pelikan choose this convention, I'm not sure. The rest of the M205's came after the run of 215s (2009) and had the metal ring.

All post-1997 M200s had the same black plastic ring as the M215. Since 2012, all of the special editions (clear demo, cognac demo, cafe creme) have taken to using a gold plated metal one like the M205s. Again, I think it just boils down to aesthetics and timing as you suggested. Hope that helps answer your question.

Edited to add; No apologies necessary. Happy for you to share my links if it helps illustrate your point.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I am pretty sure the black ring on earlier 20X's is black enameled brass. Same kind of thing as the black piston housing on the tortoise M800.

I am pretty sure the black ring on earlier 20X's is black enameled brass. Same kind of thing as the black piston housing on the tortoise M800.

That may well be the case. I'll have to look next time I have occasion to take one apart. Thanks for the heads up.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thanks! That's very interesting to know. I've swapped the caps around because I think the M215 looks better with more metal, while the M205 is even more understated with a black ring.

bayesianprior.png

Like sargetalon already said, the only difference is the finish of the nut... The only but huge difference though, if you're looking for a replacement cap for your 205, I've found only 215 replacements caps available from two distributors... So I had to bought a hole new white m205 and used the old one as replacement parts for the line up!

All my M215s have a metal ring on top that is just finished black. To tell, put it you your lips (a particularly temperature sensitive area) and compare the feel between the 'warm' plastic cap body and the 'cool' crown nut. (It's really just a difference in thermal conductivity). Becomes pretty clear that the ring is metal. Same goes for my older M200s.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg