Graduation Pen

inkspot

I defend my Ph.D. in less than a week, and I am thinking of buying a pen to commemorate the event. However, having been buried in my dissertation for the past year, I haven't been keeping on top of the latest in pens, so I'm looking for some recommendations and an idea of some of the newer offerings out there.

I'd like a simple, modern, minimalist pen without extensive embellishment. I prefer stiffer nibs to flexible ones, and like broader lines - italic or stubs are great, too. I tend to prefer heavy pens with metal bodies. I prefer slender pens over wider ones, though I do have a few wider pens that I love. I prefer CC-fillers. I prefer silver tones over gold tones. Although my Waterman and ACME pens get the most use, I am not tied to any particular brand.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to recommend. Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkspot

• AAAndrew

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Dronak

Perhaps consider the new Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with Silver trim.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I would get the Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth (doesn't have the silver tones, actually no metallic tones).

Mine is my go to pen, and you can change the nib mechanism from x-fine to broad to suit your needs.

Excellent note taking pen.

FWIW, my PhD graduation gift from my parents was an engraved Cartier Diabolo fountain pen. They actually got a good deal on it, and ended up getting me the matching ballpoint, too. It was basically the only pen I used for many years after graduation, until I recently bought some more fountain pens and am using most of them now, and it's still one of my favorites.

P.S. -- Good luck on the defense!

Edited by Dronak

Best wishes on your defense. Brings back such warm, fuzzy memories. ;)

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

yeah, good luck!

Slim, metal, c/c, ...

While not terribly heavy, there's the Parker 75. http://parkerpens.net/parker75.html

Came in lots of interesting metals, good quality and they made a ton of them, including in Broad and Italic. At the recent Triangle Pen show there was a guy there with tray upon tray of the silver 75's in different patterns.

Just a thought.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Check out Onoto pens!

The have some that are hefty (70grams) Sterling Silver.

Italix Commodore's Credential? Medium italic & cursive stub options, c/c, metal body...

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/l_commodores%202015%20fp.jpg

Pic from Mr. Pen

Edited by NinthSphere

Thank you all for the great suggestions and the well-wishes. There are lots of beautiful options for me to look into here. :)

Slim & metal...Consider a Shaeffer Targa...in brass or stainless steel.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

the Targas are nice, and depending on how slim you like your pens, you can even get slim Targas. They do have some weight which is why I haven't used mine very much. Perhaps I should try it again. It's been a while and my inclinations continue to shift.

And they're not terribly difficult to find, almost never need service (very sturdy and the inlaid nibs are wonderful to write with). It would just be finding a stub nib would be the challenge, but not as much finding a broad.

I like the Targa suggestion better than my Parker 75 suggestion now.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Perhaps consider the new Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with Silver trim.

~Epic

+1

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm not drawn to any of the suggestions here because you are looking for a serviceable rather than commemorative pen that has no connection to writing your dissertation (e.g., an upscale version of a pen that you used), and you have other presumably similar pens. Perhaps in lieu of buying a pen you might consider a nice (i.e., expensive) shirt or blouse that you will wear under your gown at graduation; you might buy a pair of cuff links, or if there's time and you going into academia, buy a piece of regalia such as a cap or a hood.

I find pens to be quite personal, so no suggestions there.

However, I'd like to wish you the very best for your viva.

Slim & metal...Consider a Shaeffer Targa...in brass or stainless steel.

+1

Dan

First, congratulations!

I'll second the Parker 75 as a pen that fits all of your requirements.

Buzz

I was thinking, Dr, that Onoto has a lovely "Doctor" pen that you might like.

Go to a pen store and see what you like there. See them, feel them, try them before made a big purchase.

At the end of the day, you want to look for the pen that YOU like, not everybody else like.