Twsbi Eco

dylim1

Just saw that isellpens.com hs the ECO in stock. Same price as everyone else. If you only want the pen I think the shipping is around $3.00 (don't hold me to that as it's been a while since I bought (very satisfied) from Todd.

BTW, No Affiliation simply a happy occasional customer...

Really looking forward to several reviews.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dylim1

• jordanjay29

• stephanos

• Gloucesterman

The community over at /r/fountainpens on reddit has a few people who've already received these and posted pictures.

Album 1

Album 2

Related thread with lots of answered questions.

A few particulars of note to those potential buyers here:

Compared to the 580

Nib is a #4, same nib as the TWSBI Mini:

So, the dimensions compare to the Sheaffer Nononsense fountain pen, a bit longer. The pen barrel is round, but the cap is faceted. So, students, post it or cap it so it doesn't roll off the desk.

I look forward to reading about performance. Thanks, guys !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Just ordered an extra fine one. Looking forward to try it out probably by the weekend.

Is the VAT in England built into the price? As I recall, in Germany, the price of an item includes the VAT.

Whereas, in the US, sales tax is added on top of the item price. So for example in California where I live; $28.99 base price + $2.75 sales tax (9.5%) = $31.74 total.

So if you adjust the UK price by removing the VAT portion of the price (if VAT in included in the item price), the prices would be closer.

Additionally, TWSBI has a USFOB location (U.S. Freight On Board), which may factor into import costs. It certainly does in much of the gift industry.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Just a quick micro review. No pictures, I'm afraid, as my bandwidth on holiday doesn't favour them.

I got the white version, with EF nib. Thanks to The Writing Desk in the UK for an excellent service (no affiliation).

Design: 8/10

Simple, well thought out. For those, like me, who like to post their pens, the rubber ring at the end makes a lot of sense. The plastic feels a little cheap, but at this price point, that is no problem at all.

Appearance: 6/10

Without the cap, the pen is quite pretty, with a clear demonstrator barrel and solid color at the back (white in my case). Not mad about the cap, though: it seems disproportionately thick/massive. That's why I gave a modest 6/10 score here.

Filling system: 10/10

A piston filler at this price point puts the tools you need to maintain it? Couldn't be better. The piston mechanism works beautifully.

Nib performanc: 9/10

The EF nib writes smoothly, with a hint of feedback. No scratchiness. Excellent flow. Nib is stiff, with no flexibility to speak of; you could get some line variation if you abuse the nib, but it's a pleasant writing experience without doing so. Wetness is about 6-7/10. It is by no means dry, but could hardly be called a gusher. (I've been using Diamond Carnival, part of the anniversary collection.)

Writing experience: 9/10

I have been pleasantly surprised by this pen. It writes smoothly and pleasantly. The balance is excellent. It is large enough to use unposted, but is even more pleasant a size when posted. The cap is too light to affect the balance. I would have preferred a slightly girthier pen, but that's a small gripe and means it will suit a wider range of hands

WOOTB? Bonus

Bonus to this pen for writing out of the box without any modifications or work needed. I have become very annoyed at the number of new pens that need some sort of adjustment before they can work, so any review I do from now on will include this question. I haven't decided how to quantify it yet (perhaps 0 or 5 points depending on whether it WOOTB or not). The Eco clearly qualifies.

Overall: 42/50 + Bonus for just working without fuss

This is an excellent pen and is well worth the money. It knocks the socks off several much more expensive pens in terms of performance (if not beauty). I think it has real potential to knock the Lamy Safari or the Pilot Metropolitan off their pedestal as go-to entry level pens. But it is also a good choice for someone with more experience looking for a good daily carry pen. If you're looking for a thoroughly beautiful pen, look elsewhere. If you're after a decent-looking pen with excellent performance, then you should definitely consider the Eco.

I like this more than my Lamy Vista.

post-115281-0-69512800-1438033726_thumb.jpg

Edited by dylim1

It's bigger than I expected, but I like mine a lot. Just got it today.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread with a question:

Now that you guys have had your Ecos for a while, have the cracking issues indeed been resolved? I love the look and function of this pen more by the minute (especially after seeing the white pen/blue ink combos upthread *drool*) but the stories I've heard about cracking in TWSBI pens has me pretty nervous when I consider the alternatives that aren't known for that.

I just got mine. So I can't comment on the cracking. However, with TWSBI's track record of great customer service, go for it I say. If it appeals enough to warrant a try, what's the harm? You're out 40 bucks? (including shipping and taxes, maybe).

Meh, for 40 bucks, I say give it a go.

Worst case scenario, you're out 40 bucks. Lesson learned and you can rant all about your experience. (That sounds condescending, but that wasn't the intent.).

I just got mine. So I can't comment on the cracking. However, with TWSBI's track record of great customer service, go for it I say. If it appeals enough to warrant a try, what's the harm? You're out 40 bucks? (including shipping and taxes, maybe).

Meh, for 40 bucks, I say give it a go.

Worst case scenario, you're out 40 bucks. Lesson learned and you can rant all about your experience. (That sounds condescending, but that wasn't the intent.).

I think I will. They're hard to find, sold out almost everywhere!

There is a very comprehensive review by Vaibhav Mehandiratta here: http://www.newpentrace.net/articleVM02%20TWSBI%20Eco.html

I saw that one! It's a gorgeous pen once inked! I went ahead and ordered a white one with a 1.1 stub nib from TWSBI's amazon store (they have a very few left!) Now I'm off to find some ink!

Reviving an old thread with a question:

Now that you guys have had your Ecos for a while, have the cracking issues indeed been resolved? I love the look and function of this pen more by the minute (especially after seeing the white pen/blue ink combos upthread *drool*) but the stories I've heard about cracking in TWSBI pens has me pretty nervous when I consider the alternatives that aren't known for that.

I've had mine since they were released, use it regularly and treat it cavalierly and haven't had any cracking. I don't post but some people who do report the cap becoming wobbly over time. The hypothesis is that the grippy o-ring compresses over time.

IMO, a very good pen.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I had mine since it came out. No cracks so far. So far so good. I like it more than my TWSBI Mini.

Same as the others. Bought right away, use all the time without any special care, and no cracking. Now, I don't flush and clean out all the time, constantly removing and resetting the nib and feed.

At first my pens posted fine, but they're wobbly enough that I don't post anymore. These are my only non-posting pens.

Great pens, fantastic price. EDC's for me.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne