The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi Eco

twsbi eco

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 dylim1

dylim1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:26

Are you familiar with past TWSBI cracking issues?

I do. From what I understand, all the cracking issues have something to do with the nibs being removable and the collar not being attached properly when the nib was screwed back to the barrel. Thus, it causes stress to the collar or the threads on the barrel and cracks it. On TWSBI Eco, only the piston unit is screwed onto the barrel. The nib is friction-fit. So, my guess would be, there's not much cracking that might happen. That's just my speculation.

Sponsored Content

#22 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:49

I do. From what I understand, all the cracking issues have something to do with the nibs being removable and the collar not being attached properly when the nib was screwed back to the barrel. Thus, it causes stress to the collar or the threads on the barrel and cracks it. On TWSBI Eco, only the piston unit is screwed onto the barrel. The nib is friction-fit. So, my guess would be, there's not much cracking that might happen. That's just my speculation.

Based on experience, I believe this is actually true.

The Eco sounds very interesting, but in all honesty I don't find it particularly attractive. (Not anywhere near the 580 or mini) 

I will probably wait for a few reviews, pics and videos before deciding to give it a chance or not.

#23 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 21:05

I'm not sure that you're right about blaming misuse or accident for the cracking issue; even TWSBI has admitted that they have this year sent back inferior materials to the supplier, and another earlier redesign involved shoring up the section with metal. There are plenty of plastic pens that have screwable sections with less history of cracking problems. However, I am hoping that your speculation is correct, and I stated that I hoped the same thing: fix the cracking issue (whatever the cause). 

#24 dylim1

dylim1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 21:15

I'm not sure that you're right about blaming misuse or accident for the cracking issue; even TWSBI has admitted that they have this year sent back inferior materials to the supplier, and another earlier redesign involved shoring up the section with metal. There are plenty of plastic pens that have screwable sections with less history of cracking problems. However, I am hoping that your speculation is correct, and I stated that I hoped the same thing: fix the cracking issue (whatever the cause). 

Yup. I hope it's fixed too. Really like the design of Eco. Especially the white one. Gonna buy one when it comes out.

#25 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 23:57

There was some cracking related to the barrel as well in the 540 (at least, there was one in the Pay It Forward 2013 journal attempt that was passed around, sadly the pen and journal was lost somewhere before the end). It might have had something to do with removing the piston for cleaning, or normal piston operation or something else.

Probably fixed in later iterations of the 580 and 580 AL.

#26 frogbaby

frogbaby

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:08

Is this still going to be a $30 pen ?

#27 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:48

I think it looks sharp.  I'm not sure I would get one, but I do like the look of it.  OK, maybe I'll get one :)

#28 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:47

Is this still going to be a $30 pen ?

28,99 USD according to Brian Goulet.

#29 frogbaby

frogbaby

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2015 - 20:25

28,99 USD according to Brian Goulet.

Wow.

I wonder if they are aiming at the Safari which is $29.60 at Goulet's ?

TWSBI wants to be THE low-cost entry level fountain pen.

Good for them. I hope the design holds up.

The Safari is pretty much bulletproof.

Of course there is the Metro which I suppose is the actual entry-level champ.

#30 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:02

Available for pre-order from purepens.co.uk for GBP 24

(no affiliation, except having happily bought from them before)

Ordered!!

#31 dylim1

dylim1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2015 - 21:33

Wow.

I wonder if they are aiming at the Safari which is $29.60 at Goulet's ?

TWSBI wants to be THE low-cost entry level fountain pen.

Good for them. I hope the design holds up.

The Safari is pretty much bulletproof.

Of course there is the Metro which I suppose is the actual entry-level champ.

Looks pretty good as an entry level pen. I had a Safari as my first fountain pen. But if this came out when I got into fountain pen, I'd probably have chosen Eco as my first pen. 

#32 dompred

dompred

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:42

So TWSBI Eco is available for pre order from purepens.co.uk for 24£ or 37.4$.

Gouletpens.com offers them for pre order at 28.99$.

Can anyone explain the price gap here? They both get them from Taiwan, so they both have to pay for shipping and import taxes. There is a significant price difference here I can not understand.

#33 PsychoDeli

PsychoDeli

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:55

It's simple business, you set a price and if people are willing to pay it, the price is right.

We have for a long time been fleeced with pricing in the UK but until we start talking with our wallets, nothing will change.

Unfortunately, we keep on buying, and buying  :angry:

EDIT: I should mention, it is not just the UK, it is Europe!

Edited by PsychoDeli, 05 July 2015 - 12:56.

"When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers"

#34 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2015 - 00:49

Is the VAT in England built into the price?  As I recall, in Germany, the price of an item includes the VAT.

Whereas, in the US, sales tax is added on top of the item price.  So for example in California where I live; $28.99 base price + $2.75 sales tax (9.5%) = $31.74 total.

So if you adjust the UK price by removing the VAT portion of the price (if VAT in included in the item price), the prices would be closer.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#35 PsychoDeli

PsychoDeli

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:23

Is the VAT in England built into the price?  As I recall, in Germany, the price of an item includes the VAT.

Whereas, in the US, sales tax is added on top of the item price.  So for example in California where I live; $28.99 base price + $2.75 sales tax (9.5%) = $31.74 total.

So if you adjust the UK price by removing the VAT portion of the price (if VAT in included in the item price), the prices would be closer.

You raise a very true point, and when I looked at it, my original point was still valid, even with taxes considered. When I actually stopped and thought about it for a second, our taxes are much higher than US taxes, (VAT in the UK is 20% for instance) ... so really it is the government to blame :P

...now we are treading into the political sphere however, so I'd rather be quiet :)

Thanks for clearing my head though!

"When two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers"

#36 David.Reinos

David.Reinos

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2015 - 15:50

Are you familiar with past TWSBI cracking issues?

I'd personally had the feed holder crack inside the section, but with the fantastic service I've experienced I'm willing to try another of TWSBI's pens. And probably another after that...

#37 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2015 - 16:43

It will be interesting to see with the one-piece body and section if the cracking is better, or worse. I suspect with the incredible amount of time it's been since announcement and release that they've tried to be very sure that they won't be flooded with returns and broken pens. Or, perhaps, I hope that's the case.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#38 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2015 - 18:03

I checked Goulet's site.  It is available in white/clear and black/clear.  The white/clear combo looks nice to me.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#39 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2015 - 19:09

I checked Goulet's site.  It is available in white/clear and black/clear.  The white/clear combo looks nice to me.

Please note that it's scheduled to arrive late July 2015. Your comment (above) made me think they had arrived earlier than was expected.

Will you be one of the people to test out the new pen to determine if TWSBI got it right from the beginning?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#40 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2015 - 23:40

Please note that it's scheduled to arrive late July 2015. Your comment (above) made me think they had arrived earlier than was expected.

Will you be one of the people to test out the new pen to determine if TWSBI got it right from the beginning?

I probably will. Along with a bunch of ink samples to take advantage of their sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, eco

Sponsored Content

|