Noodler's Canadian Exclusive!

Cyber6

Not sure whether the colour of Plains of Abraham (in Quebec, but of it????) was a federal or provincial matter.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THRobinson

• Cyber6

• torstar

• Pira

I'm assuming they chose blue because of the colours in the Quebec flag... that and most people use either black or blue ink. But, I'm sure people in Quebec probably associate blue with Canada because they see the white/blue flag more often. Rest of Canada see mostly red/white.

That's why I thought if it was a colour for Canada... it would be a colour in the Canadian flag.... though then the name would have to change since the Canadian flag didn't exist yet during the 7yr war. :D

I guess being in Toronto yourself, you could associate the blue with the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey. :) Like their vintage blue. :D

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

The creator of Noodler's inks likes to link his colours to history or literature.

For what it's worth (and may have had NO bearing at all on the name)....The battle of the Plains of Abraham can be considered the beginning of Canada as we know it. General Wolfe died in the victory over the French. The Canadian Militia was dressed in blue (British soldiers Red and French Grey-white).

Having said that...from a business angle, if I was introducting exclusive colours to Canada I'd pick the two shades that most people tend to purchase: a conservative blue and black. If they are good sellers then it would be worth my while to expand the line to other shades, including red.

Edited by Pira

Ya I get the blue/black angle...but same time, that Empire Red is nice, and their flag has blue... :)

Just saying, if picking a colour for an ink marketed as Canadian... should be a commonly associated colour with Canada.

Colour of the uniforms worn 250+yrs ago... before Canada was Canada, I don't think is what people tend to think of when they associate a colour with Canada. :D

It's Canada

they didn't mean to offend anybody by the colour choice

they wish to announce that they agonized to great lengths to have to make a final decision on the colour

I doubt anyone was offended by their choice. Just saying it had made more sense in Red.

Edited by THRobinson

I agree with you, red makes more sense for the Canadian impact, but I also can see what Pira said about people most commonly purchasing blue or black. Maybe Nathan will make us a red ink that glows white or something in the future.

I can just see it now..........

Somewhere, deep in the heart of his Ink Kingdom, Nathan gleefully reads my post and shouts "Challenge Accepted!"

:lol:

That would be cool. :)

Maybe red wasn't chosen because Empire Red isn't selling too well? and/or didn't want another country exclusive ink being red?

It's still a nice blue with what seems to be nice shading, and also an excuse to buy a new LAMY pen, in blue. :)

Ya I get the blue/black angle...but same time, that Empire Red is nice, and their flag has blue... :)

Just saying, if picking a colour for an ink marketed as Canadian... should be a commonly associated colour with Canada.

Colour of the uniforms worn 250+yrs ago... before Canada was Canada, I don't think is what people tend to think of when they associate a colour with Canada. :D

Empire Red is nice....if they ever do a red ink I only pray it isn't one that is the same shade as our flag. I'm a proud Canuck but that colour is just not one that I'd ever use or want to read. I can see though how people would associate us with that (weeps)

It would be cool though to have colours that reflect our landscape ~ the granite of the Canadian shield, Redwoods of the west coast, the prairies...sky or fields, the green grey of the great lakes or iceberg blue of Newfoundland...pink of the wild rose of Alberta...ah, so many options that have nothing to do with politics but rather this land. :D

Edited by Pira

I doubt anyone was offended by their choice. Just saying it had made more sense in Red.

I'm from the irony-laden portion of Canada.... it's okay, it was meant as a joke for the federal/provincial/agonizing comments

I sometimes come and visit the irony-free portions of Canada during vacations....

That would be nice, a sorta national box set... mountain grey, great lakes blue/green, scarlet maple red, beaver tail brown. :D

Wish I knew how to make ink. Every time I go to research recipes, it's usually taking existing inks and blending them. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Am I allowed to use this ink? My maternal grandfather was born in Ontario. I'm not sure about the irony content of his hometown.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Am I allowed to use this ink? My maternal grandfather was born in Ontario. I'm not sure about the irony content of his hometown.

ONLY if it is in a "Canadian" manufactured pen. (I am trying hard to "follow the rules!)

ONLY if it is in a "Canadian" manufactured pen. (I am trying hard to "follow the rules!)

As I recall, Waterman and Parker each had factories in Canada. A little web search revealed several pen turners in Canada, too. Now I have to get a Canadian pen or two, there are two of these exclusive inks.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

As I recall, Waterman and Parker each had factories in Canada. A little web search revealed several pen turners in Canada, too. Now I have to get a Canadian pen or two, there are two of these exclusive inks.

Sheaffer as well, both pens and inks.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I'm assuming they chose blue because of the colours in the Quebec flag... that and most people use either black or blue ink. But, I'm sure people in Quebec probably associate blue with Canada because they see the white/blue flag more often. Rest of Canada see mostly red/white.

Nope. Canada is red, Québec is sky blue... No one, either federalist or independentist, would associate blue with Canada on Québec...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

The colour is nice and I like the ink after 2 weeks of use. For blue think of the many rivers and lakes in Canada, the Leaf's jersey etc. Having visited the plains several times I do not think the name is out of place.

Rivers and lakes? Aren't those more a brown/green colour? :D

Rivers and lakes? Aren't those more a brown/green colour? :D

Not the Canadian ones.... :lol:

Alberta lake..

http://dsphotographic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/alberta-15.jpg

Clear glacier water fed rivers... this one in Calgary

http://www.hotelscheap.org/discount-travel-blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Aqua-Blue-River-Canada.jpg

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,