Are Discontinued Sailor Jentle Inks Still Around?

Chrissy

I have seen some bottles of Sailor Jentle ink for sale that look like the older style labelled bottles that were discontinued.

However, I don't know if the new colors were first issued in the older style bottles with a label color that matched the ink shade so they looked identical to the old colors.

When Epinard, SKy High, Grenade, Apricot and Ultra-Marine were discontinued, were the replacement colors issued straight away in bottles that had the same labels? Or were the new colors only issued with new type bottle labels?

I'm only asking because I have seen some bottles with the older style labels on sale and am not sure if they are the old colors or new colors.

If I could read the labels I might know which shade they are.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• haruka337

• AAAndrew

• Chrissy

• migo984

Top Posters In This Topic

New colors, new labels replaced the old colors you noted. The colors are different, in some cases, not by much. Search for reviews of the discontinued inks and you'll often find it compared with the ink that, I assume, was meant to replace it (Four Seasons).

Some people still sell the old bottles out of their personal collection and vendors who still have a stock of it, but sometimes the prices are ridiculous. If you're interested in Grenada, there's a member here offering it up for trade, but for other discontinued Sailor Jentle colors. Still, if you have an interesting and discontinued ink, perhaps he'd consider a trade?

*Post Edit:

I should note that Sailor still sell their standard black and blue inks with the "old" Sailor Jentle Ink label--these colors are not discontinued.

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

The current Sailor lineup, with the new labels, were all first originally issued in "seasonal" batches, and they did use the old label style.

ETA: For example, here's an old listing for the "summer" lineup where Souten and Doyou first appeared:

http://www.melpens.com/sailor-bottle-ink-50ml-jentle-summer-version-ink/

Edited by swanjun

The most recent release of the Four Seasons inks have only had the new style labels, not the old style labels.

These pictures might help you. The stock numbers are a good way to reference the inks. Note: the earlier, limited editions (2010?) of the four seasons inks had different stock numbers to the current range.

The stock numbers are printed on the back of the box. I think the boxes are production date marked as well IIRC.

This might also help you identify the inks.

山鳥 Yama-dori

奥山 Oku-yama

常盤松 Tokiwa-matsu

匂菫 Nioi-sumire

海松藍 Miru-ai

蒼天 Sou-ten

土用 Do-you

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Seems I misunderstood your post a bit, but Swanjun is also right:
fpn_1435080448__rsai0983_2.jpg

These two currently sport the new labels of the "Four Seasons" line shown in migo984 second image (post #4).

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

This thread might also help.

When I did a matching exercise previously I found some differences to the codes Martin listed. But they are mainly correct and are helpful. I'm afraid that I left my revised coding list at home on my other notebook, so I can't access it till September. Typical! Lol

Verba volant, scripta manent

The ink bottles I have seen have the old single colored roundel Jentle labels on them, but I now think that the writing on the bottom left hand corner matches the new shade.

And I haven't seen anything to replace Epinard yet.

fpn_1435346525__epinard.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

AAAndrew-

How close is it to Tokiwa-matsu? It's a little hard to tell from many scans or photographs that haven't been color corrected or white-balanced.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I've only seen the scans and samples online, and it appears more gray. Epinard is really rich green.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Rich green? Intresting. Does it sheen at all?

I do have Tokiwa-matsu, which has more of a yellow undertone to it and a rust colored sheen (very nice). I was just curious how Epinard measured up to it since I've never seen it in person, especially with so many review comparisons noting that there isn't much of a difference between many of the retired colors and new colors (i.e.: Souten vs. Sky High).

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Unless side by side... most people wouldn't know the difference between Tokina and Epinard.

Excellent comparison below...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289502-five-pine-y-sailor-greens/?hl=jade

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Unless side by side... most people wouldn't know the difference between Tokina and Epinard.

Excellent comparison below...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289502-five-pine-y-sailor-greens/?hl=jade

C.

Thanks! It's sometimes so hard to tell from the samples on the screen. Looks like I have another ink to look for.

-Montaigne