The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Teal 21 Super Nos - Do I Use It?

21 super 21 teal new

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boybacon

boybacon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:10

Hello, Everyone.

About a 2 months ago, on a whim, I picked up a NOS 21 Super, in the original box (but missing the mechanical pencil, it appears) on ebay.  I haven't had a chance to look at it until just today (it's been a rough 2 months!).  The pen really does appear to be unused.  Definitely never inked.  It's possible that the cap was taken off and put back on, but there are no finger prints on it, and there were no finger prints on the squeeze filler, either.  I paid a whopping $27.74, including shipping, for this pen. 

Now here's my dilemma:  The pen was purchased so I could use it.  I wanted an older pen to take with me to work and use with permanent inks (Noodler's Black or Polar Blue).  But now that I have it, I'm wondering if it's worth more as a collectible unused than as a daily using pen.

What's the opinion from Parker collectors?  Keep it "like new", or use it?

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:16

Use it.   It's not a very valuable pen, there's a load of them out there, you bought it as a "user" and you'll get more pleasure from writing with it than staring at it.  Enjoy!

#3 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:36

Use it.   It's not a very valuable pen, there's a load of them out there, you bought it as a "user" and you'll get more pleasure from writing with it than staring at it.  Enjoy!

+1

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#4 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:24

+2

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#5 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 13:32

I had two NOS of these 21 Supers a couple weeks ago for $10 each and have left them in their cases. Seems these have never been inked. I have now eight 21 supers in different colors but have never ever used any until now. Not that I dont want to use them but because I am too much in love with my 51s, 75s , Sonnets and 45 insignia , Customs , Arrows and early gold nibbed flighters with gold/chrom/black plastic end caps.

Edited by mitto, 23 June 2015 - 13:34.

Khan M. Ilyas

#6 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 21:45

What do older pens and those particular inks, as opposed to other inks, have to do with each other?

stolen 8/14/16 SF south of Market https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf24EwNiEy6nfKoep2Gnw8EVFthfPngtNSuSgIrAWRk/edit?usp=sharing

#7 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:15

Definitely use it.  Like you, I have reservations and hesitate to use a NOS pen.  But I come back to the point that I'm not collecting to invest (I don't think I have a collection of pens worth much).  Instead, I'm collecting to use, experience, and, more importantly, create/record some memories of my own.  As this is a family hobby, that makes the use of these pens worth far more than a dollar value to me.  All of my pens get rotated into use.

Buzz

#8 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 13:15

Hi,

Most often I'd support using the pen, but as you seem to be hesitant, I'll suggest getting another 21S and using that. :)

Perhaps you'll use the first 21S when you have something to be written which only that pen can write.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#9 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2015 - 18:36

Take some nice photographs of it.  Sell the pen and look at the photographs.   

Or, use it.  Soon, you will get a Parker 51.  This issue will be moot.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#10 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,478 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2015 - 19:12

I would use it myself! Life is too short to put our nice things away! (unless you bought it to sell, then don't use it)

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 21 super, 21, teal, new

Sponsored Content

|