Writing Desk Options

MKB

I looked at several options to purchase, but none really had what I wanted. I decided that if I built it, I could make it with an angled writing surface that was slightly lower than usual. That way my arm could hang at a comfortable angle for writing. Plus, I wanted a little storage for paper, inks and other odds and ends.

19038738025_c3055d62b1_z.jpg

18852627569_ce4a587fe3_n.jpg 19012577126_5f508fdeb8_n.jpg

I have limited tools (a circular saw mounted upside down for a DIY table saw), so there's no complicated joinery. The desk is essentially melamine closet shelving, drywall screws, matching screw hole covers and some European style hinges. I might add a paper/pen stop, but I don't want something that will interfere with my hand sliding at the bottom of the page. I am happy with the desk. It's simple and utilitarian, but nice for writing.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MKB

• Keyless Works

• jmccarty3

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am quite impressed with your skills & design talent to be able to build something to your taste. It is a very good looking desk & my hat is off to you for being able to see it to production. May you have many happy hours of use.

That's a great desk. Congratulations.

Would it be possible to put a pen/pencil groove in such a material as that?

That's a great desk. Congratulations.

Would it be possible to put a pen/pencil groove in such a material as that?

A groove could be routed in, but under the melamine surface is particle board, so unless painted or something, it would look rough. I was thinking maybe a clear acrylic partial round if flat enough might do the job.

Unrelated: I found a cup tall enough to put under the top to hold it level which helps for using sealing wax on letters.

Looks great. I just use one these:

http://www.pianki.com/assets/images/pineider/1949/7727.jpg

I wish I had a dedicated desk though for writing.

That looks really nice, and I'm guessing it can be moved to another room if it gets too noisy in the first.

I love both writing desks we've seen here so far. I wish I had one of each. Meanwhile, I decided a few years ago to put ergonomic correctness at the top of my priority list when it came to my writing desk and chair. I gave away my old but well-preserved executive desk and replaced it with a simple, plain IKEA Galant table with an adjustable height.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Looks great. I just use one these:

http://www.pianki.com/assets/images/pineider/1949/7727.jpg

I wish I had a dedicated desk though for writing.

Please tell us more about this desk. It looks really nice.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I like your design and end-result. I have a full wood shop in the garage. I may make one of these myself. With a slanted surface, it would be less likely to attract clutter, like my other desks!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I like your design and end-result. I have a full wood shop in the garage. I may make one of these myself. With a slanted surface, it would be less likely to attract clutter, like my other desks!

That was another feature I was very excited about. :D

Please tell us more about this disk. It looks really nice.

I second that. A desk like that would serve me very well for use while traveling.

That looks really nice, and I'm guessing it can be moved to another room if it gets too noisy in the first.

It's a travel writing desk so I do move it around the house a bit.

Please tell us more about this disk. It looks really nice.

The desk is by Pineider. It comes with an ink well, a blotter, a leather journal, a dip pen holder and a bunch of nibs as well as pencils and stationery in a couple of formats. I found one in like new condition second hand for a good relatively inexpensive price. They are a bit much new:

http://www.pianki.com/pineider-1949-leather-travel-writing-desk-set_p3170.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw5J6sBRDp3ty_17KZyWsSJABgp-OaHzlYczjcyW8gWMElp6SYWT1Ye_5KM7Z1kEYfoInsMBoCcsTw_wcB

... I found one in like new condition second hand for a good relatively inexpensive price. They are a bit much new:

Umm, yeah, mine was slightly less. My wife thought yours was beautiful, and she was very interested until she clicked on the link. She's resuscitated now, and doing just fine.

The desk is by Pineider. It comes with an ink well, a blotter, a leather journal, a dip pen holder and a bunch of nibs as well as pencils and stationery in a couple of formats. I found one in like new condition second hand for a good relatively inexpensive price. They are a bit much new:

I saw the name and was surprised at the price. I thought it would be twice as much for all that. You must have gotten a remarkable bargain.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That's a nice-looking desk, MKB. It is sleek and quite modern in appearance. You do much woodworking?

-Evan

That's a nice-looking desk, MKB. It is sleek and quite modern in appearance. You do much woodworking?

-Evan

Thanks! I occasionally do woodworking out of necessity. I had a woodworking class with some drafting in 7th grade and worked as a laborer on a custom home in the summers while in college. From that I learned to measure twice before cutting (saved me two times on this desk) and always pre-drill & countersink the full depth of all screws used on this type of material. My boss back in college often tried things out first before applying to the actual project, so I tested out the hinge arrangement on scrap pieces to make sure it would work right. I like to plan and draw things out, which helped me to figure the easiest way to make the desk happen, given the limits of what I had to work with.

If you do end up puttibg a groove in. Simply put dry wall mud on the particle board that is showing. Let it dry. Sand. Then paint.

Thanks for the tip.

Right now, I am using a couple pieces of blue painters tape to hold the paper on an angle. At first it was just a quick fix, but I really like it, plus it keeps my writing guide sheet in registration.