Fountain Pen Database Available for Download

jonro

Hi,

I was wondering if an updated version is available for the Mac in a 64 bit. The old 32 bit doesn't work under the new platform of the iOS. 

Thank You,

Penster59

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• TrevorML

• Bisquitlips

• kudzu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

It's good to see this excellent program still being discussed after all these years. The volume of posts has decreased dramatically, but the discussion's still going. Unfortunately, it looks like Jonro might no longer be around. I just skimmed through the messages, but it seems like a long time since he last responded to a message.

There was an earlier indication that there was a help file. As others have pointed out, the Windows version is missing one -- so I assume it might be present in the Mac version?

I have no idea what format this help file would take, or if it's even a separate file. Does anybody know if it's possible to separate the help file out and make it available to those who don't have it?

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled up Jonro's great FP DB today. Inventory is tedious, but this is helpful.

Running Windows 10, all the latest updates. No problems.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 1 month later...

Using the app on iPad, and love it. An ink DB would be great!

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

• 8 months later...

My experience with the Jonro app was less than satisfactory. Running Windows 10, it would somehow erase information, transpose photos, and occasionally vanish. Also seemed slow.

After several re-installations, re-entering info and photos, it would do it again. Finally decided not to try again. 

Could I have been the problem? Perhaps, but I've been using personal computers since 1992 and never had this problem. I'm thinking that it's an older program that is in conflict with my system.

I can see the value in it, but wasn't worth my constant effort.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

6 hours ago, sgphototn said:

I can see the value in it, but wasn't worth my constant effort.

Jon did this app a long, long time ago, using Filemaker Pro (I believe). The Windows platform has gone through a number of iterations at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues. I've not used it constantly but can't remember problems, but that doesn't mean they might not be there. It's a fairly handy format but unless it is stable on your system then, yes, not worth the effort. A spreadsheet could likely suffice for most needs.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Is there a more recent version than April, 2007?  I'm sorry, but I don't feel like slogging through 27 pages of this thread.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

38 minutes ago, Mysterious Mose said:

Is there a more recent version than April, 2007?  I'm sorry, but I don't feel like slogging through 27 pages of this thread.

Not that I'm aware of. I suppose it is questionable as to whether it should still be listed, not my call. I hear the program was done on punch cards.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have used this DB  gratefully for years and have found it to be excellent for my needs.  And stable.  I have right at 300 pens in it as well as photos.  My DB is upwards of 2.12 GBs.

Started on Windows 7 and now running on 10.  I back it up often, but have only used the backup to restore the DB on a new computer every year or two.

There are no real help files, but it is fairly intuitive.  And it also has an useful ink DB built in.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

On 4/7/2021 at 5:07 PM, JonSzanto said:

Not that I'm aware of. I suppose it is questionable as to whether it should still be listed, not my call. I hear the program was done on punch cards.

I've installed it and it really suits my needs.  I have "only" 9 pens and this helps keep track of them very well.

It is a bit quirky but manageable.

HOWEVER, I found a bug.  If I click on HELP, the app hangs up.  I need to go to Task Manager to close it.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

• 2 months later...

I installed this helpful database last week and am running it on the latest version of Windows 10.

So far I have imported data on dozens of pens from Excel, entered some new data directly, edited records, and uploaded many images. I have not yet encountered any glitches (it is certainly more reliable than Microsoft Photos at the moment).  Photos can take some time to load but then it is a 14 year-old DB.

Edited by Sheptonian
omission

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Apple is making an announcement about FileMaker Pro next week 9/6/22 at the new iPhone introduction. They’re supposed to be offering a less-expensive single user version. It was being aimed at developers before and the basic program cost over $500. I’m also hoping (less probable) that they will introduce the rumored easy/cheap multiuser offering.

A comprehensive database, web accessible, is something I’m very interested in. I know that there have been several attempts at this sort of thing in the past, including this one. I’m brand new here—this is my first post on the forums except for the introduction post. I’m a retired programmer/analyst who once designed and coded client-server database applications for a major financial corporation. I would like to try and organize something along these lines, but I’m still strictly in the concept phase. I am probably not the person to code such a thing now, as my skills are 12 years out of date, and in development environments that are much too expensive for this project. Unless something new comes along, I would expect it to be the now-standard SQL based FOSS system as it will need to be essentially free to develop and deploy. Hosting a server would be the significant ongoing cost. (One of those rumors above claimed Apple would offer discounted FMP cloud hosting services.)  I could certainly help at the design and pseudocode level—as long as I don’t have to write SQL queries, I’m fine. I really, really don’t like SQL. 😁

Anyway, I did not intend to actually announce anything here, this just happened to be the first post I saw when I opened the forums. I’ll be asking questions and calling for suggestions once I actually get a better idea of the kind of schema that will be needed here. I will download and take a look at jonro’s database—it sounds like a good place to start and I think, from what little I skimmed in the posts above, that the schema for it is pretty close to what’s needed. Jonro looks to have covered the bases quite well.

Thanks,

—HC

• 4 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 10:15 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Apple is making an announcement about FileMaker Pro next week 9/6/22 at the new iPhone introduction. They’re supposed to be offering a less-expensive single user version. It was being aimed at developers before and the basic program cost over $500. I’m also hoping (less probable) that they will introduce the rumored easy/cheap multiuser offering.

A comprehensive database, web accessible, is something I’m very interested in. I know that there have been several attempts at this sort of thing in the past, including this one. I’m brand new here—this is my first post on the forums except for the introduction post. I’m a retired programmer/analyst who once designed and coded client-server database applications for a major financial corporation. I would like to try and organize something along these lines, but I’m still strictly in the concept phase. I am probably not the person to code such a thing now, as my skills are 12 years out of date, and in development environments that are much too expensive for this project. Unless something new comes along, I would expect it to be the now-standard SQL based FOSS system as it will need to be essentially free to develop and deploy. Hosting a server would be the significant ongoing cost. (One of those rumors above claimed Apple would offer discounted FMP cloud hosting services.)  I could certainly help at the design and pseudocode level—as long as I don’t have to write SQL queries, I’m fine. I really, really don’t like SQL. 😁

Anyway, I did not intend to actually announce anything here, this just happened to be the first post I saw when I opened the forums. I’ll be asking questions and calling for suggestions once I actually get a better idea of the kind of schema that will be needed here. I will download and take a look at jonro’s database—it sounds like a good place to start and I think, from what little I skimmed in the posts above, that the schema for it is pretty close to what’s needed. Jonro looks to have covered the bases quite well.

Thanks,

—HC

That would be fantastic HC!   I am looking forward to your work. 

If you need any Beta testers count me in. 

Richard  (40 years in IT recently retired).

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Thanks, Richard!

This is something I really want to do, or at least start. I don’t know when I’ll have the time, but I want to make it a priority as soon as practical.