Fountain Pen Database Available for Download

jonro

Great Inventory database. Thank you for developing it and making it available free. I am a little staggered to see how much I have spent on pens over the years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• TrevorML

• Bisquitlips

• kudzu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great Inventory database. Thank you for developing it and making it available free. I am a little staggered to see how much I have spent on pens over the years.

Ha, Ha yes that's the down side of this program. Your able to see how much you have invested in your collection. But the upside is that it is a good program for your insurance co. To insure your pens with.

After adding quite a few pens, an error occured, something about date format. After this, all entered items were lost, except the one I was working on when the date formatting error occured.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Ha, Ha yes that's the down side of this program. Your able to see how much you have invested in your collection. But the upside is that it is a good program for your insurance co. To insure your pens with.

Invested? I don't think you can really count on that as an investment bearing a return. The P 51 set I bought for $25 in 1970 is unlikely to be worth enough to keep up with inflation. I would figure $250.00 adjusted for inflation plus or minus, and I think I would be fortunate to get $100 for them as a user-grade set. Just an example. It's a passtime, an obsession, a collection of stuff. The value erodes as you use the pen, as it acquires battle scars, etc. You can't take it seriously. It's a whole lot of mula down the drain. Like the ink I have purged from pens. It has been enjoyable, though, and you just have to keep smiling.

• 1 month later...

Just downloaded the program looks really useful. One question - I have an inventory number for my pens - is there a field for this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks so much for this. I am having problems though. i downloaded the Mac version, I am running Lion. I have the folder saying fountain pen inventory and then when I open it I see several things including fountain pen inventory and fountain pen inventory.fpn

When I double click on either it crashes and I get one of those report status things. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

Thanks!

Works great. Now it encourages me to get more pens to fill it up!

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

I will try again! I have a Mac and am on lion. I have downloaded this programme several times now and each time it crashes. Could someone who uses a Mac and this programme please tell me what is going wrong and what I need to do to get it working! Thanks very much.

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this. I am having problems though. i downloaded the Mac version, I am running Lion. I have the folder saying fountain pen inventory and then when I open it I see several things including fountain pen inventory and fountain pen inventory.fpn

When I double click on either it crashes and I get one of those report status things. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Both items should work the same way, that makes no difference. Mine works on an almost 4-year old MBP running Lion. If it keeps on crashing, I would suggest you simply toss it and redownload the entire database. You might just have an incomplete or corrupt file, these things happen once in a while.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by peterpen53

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this program Jon! Great that you share it for free to all of us who don't know how to create programs like this.

Great!

Cheers, Mika

Unfortunately there's no version for Linux. Perhaps an open standard application that can be used on various platforms would reach more users? Libre Office http://www.libreoffice.org/ is free, has a database program and can be used on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Just saw this program used today.. Wondering how it compares to Open Office??? I did peek at the site and see it allows for collections database. Has anyone adapted libreoffice for their collections?

Question: Is there anyway to insert a recently acquired vintage pen into the list by its date, (oldest to newest), other than completely retyping the list?

If you go into the Records menu item and choose Sort records... you can choose any sort criteria you like. That's the nice thing about a database, you can make it do almost anything you want.

Edited by peterpen53

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

I will try again! I have a Mac and am on lion. I have downloaded this programme several times now and each time it crashes. Could someone who uses a Mac and this programme please tell me what is going wrong and what I need to do to get it working! Thanks very much.

No problems using it on my iMac-OSX 10.6 and my PowerBook-OSX 10.5.

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

• 4 weeks later...

My fountain pen inventory database is ready to download. There is a version for both Mac and PC users. The database maintains a lot of useful information about your fountain pen collection, including basic descriptive info, prices paid, repairs made and unlimited photographs. It also makes it very easy to post reviews to FPN. This database isn't associated with FPN, but I did add a couple of features that plays nicely with FPN.

As I mentioned, there's a Mac and a PC version. I ran into some font issues on the PC and had to make a a couple of small changes to the PC version in order to get it posted without delay. There isn't a large difference, but the Mac version looks a little nicer.

When you download it and unzip it, you will see a file and a folder named Fountain Pen Inventory. The file is an alias to the main program file in the folder. I don't usually distribute my solutions as standalone runtime databases. I've tested it as carefully as I could, but let me know if you have any issues. Even better, let me know if you like it, too. There is no charge for Fountain Pen Inventory. It's my gift to the FPN fountain pen community. You can redistribute it to someone else, but are not allowed to charge for it, modify it or present it as your own work.

Enough of the intro, you can download it at: http://www.jonro.com/downloads/

Regards,

Jon

Thank you very much for this database. I'm not an expert database or computer user and was able to install it on my computer and start using it immediately!

All the best, Ingrid

Thanks for the database. Is there any chance of being able to export it (or something) to be able to import it into say Bento or to use it in your own Filemaker database?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• 2 weeks later...

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.4 on a MacBook Pro, the software will not start up and continues to fail.

Have reinstalled, restarted and reinstalled, reinstalled then restarted, and a few other things, nothing seems to get it running.

Really wish I could get this running, seems like an amazing resource!

You're not doing anything wrong...it crashes on startup every time on Mountain Lion (10.8) as well.

You're not doing anything wrong...it crashes on startup every time on Mountain Lion (10.8) as well.

I downloaded the DB again, and not much has changed since my last post. Again I suspect it's related to the included FM runtime engine; the files all date from 2007.

The included FM runtime engine is v8.5.1; the runtime engine a small program -- a stripped down bit of FM which lets those use a FM database without having the full FM program.

v8.5.1 is quite long in tooth these days and extends to the PPC era. There was an update to v8.5.2 -- I don't know if either version of the full FM application v8.5.x itself even runs under Mountain Lion. I don't know many 5 year old programs (from the 10.4 - 10.5 era) that still run unpatched or without any upgrade on Lion or Mountain Lion. Filemaker's table doesn't even go back to v8 for Lion Compatibility, see here. But v9 isn't compatible with Lion -- I can verify that, I tried to install it.

The current version of Filemaker is v12. It and v11 are both deemed Mountain Lion compatible by Filemaker. v11 was also Lion compatible on the release of Lion.

I have a copy of FM v11, so I don't need the runtime engine. I can open the DB file itself without issue, and can use the database.

If you want this to run, I see two basic options:

1. Contact the author of the DB (jonro), to see if he can repackage the db program with a Mountain Lion compatible runtime engine.

2. Use a Mountain Lion compatible version of Filemaker (the full program) to work on just the db file.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)