Fountain Pen Database Available for Download

jonro

I tray several times to open the database, but it was impossible. My computer is an i-Mac with the Lion OS. Any suggestion?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• TrevorML

• Bisquitlips

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, it runs fine on my Mac mini running 10.6.8. System info shows it as a Universal app, so it should run under Lion.

--Bob Farace

~~scribbler~~

• 1 month later...

Hello everbody!

Can anybody tell me how to export an Excel sheet? I always get an empty document, not a single pen listed. I'm on a Powermac with OS 10.5.8, but I think, the PC version should function equally.

Thank you, Klaus!

Can anybody tell me how to export an Excel sheet? I always get an empty document, not a single pen listed. I'm on a Powermac with OS 10.5.8, but I think, the PC version should function equally.

Works flawlessly on Windows XP. Tried Excel & dBase, both OK.

Thanks icardoth!

But what I really wanted to know is how you do it. Maybe I make a mistake somehow? I tried exporting from list view and table view, nothing works. I also tried to find the right command for selecting all items but could not select all.

Thanks anyway, Klaus

I just went to File/Export, selected the file type, write down a name for it, pressed "Continue" in the Excel Options, clicked on the "Move all" button at "Specify field order for export" window and pressed the "Export" button. That's it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks icardot!

Maybe the command move all has done it, I got pens now in Excel. Unfortunately it skips doubles. I got several MBs, just one is listed, several Pelikans, just one listed and so on. :crybaby:

Thanks anyway!

Klaus

• 2 months later...

My fountain pen inventory database is ready to download. There is a version for both Mac and PC users. The database maintains a lot of useful information about your fountain pen collection, including basic descriptive info, prices paid, repairs made and unlimited photographs. It also makes it very easy to post reviews to FPN. This database isn't associated with FPN, but I did add a couple of features that plays nicely with FPN.

As I mentioned, there's a Mac and a PC version. I ran into some font issues on the PC and had to make a a couple of small changes to the PC version in order to get it posted without delay. There isn't a large difference, but the Mac version looks a little nicer.

When you download it and unzip it, you will see a file and a folder named Fountain Pen Inventory. The file is an alias to the main program file in the folder. I don't usually distribute my solutions as standalone runtime databases. I've tested it as carefully as I could, but let me know if you have any issues. Even better, let me know if you like it, too. There is no charge for Fountain Pen Inventory. It's my gift to the FPN fountain pen community. You can redistribute it to someone else, but are not allowed to charge for it, modify it or present it as your own work.

Enough of the intro, you can download it at: <a href='http://www.jonro.com/downloads/' target='_blank'>http://www.jonro.com/downloads/</a>

Regards,

Jon

Hi Jon - this sounds great! I tried the link (pasted it into my browser) but keep getting a '404' (file not found) error. Any suggestions? Is it still out there for downloading? PS - I am using a PC with Windows 7 and the latest browsers (Mozilla and IE).Thanks! Peter

I just found FPN today and the first thing I came across was this great database written in one of my favorite applications.

Thanks Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, wonderful and very useful database. At the beginning I didn't saw the utility. Now, when I have more than 30 pens it's utility pop up.

I'm very happy that you developed this beautiful "tool".

• 3 weeks later...

My fountain pen inventory database is ready to download. There is a version for both Mac and PC users. The database maintains a lot of useful information about your fountain pen collection, including basic descriptive info, prices paid, repairs made and unlimited photographs. It also makes it very easy to post reviews to FPN. This database isn't associated with FPN, but I did add a couple of features that plays nicely with FPN.

As I mentioned, there's a Mac and a PC version. I ran into some font issues on the PC and had to make a a couple of small changes to the PC version in order to get it posted without delay. There isn't a large difference, but the Mac version looks a little nicer.

When you download it and unzip it, you will see a file and a folder named Fountain Pen Inventory. The file is an alias to the main program file in the folder. I don't usually distribute my solutions as standalone runtime databases. I've tested it as carefully as I could, but let me know if you have any issues. Even better, let me know if you like it, too. There is no charge for Fountain Pen Inventory. It's my gift to the FPN fountain pen community. You can redistribute it to someone else, but are not allowed to charge for it, modify it or present it as your own work.

Enough of the intro, you can download it at: <a href='http://www.jonro.com/downloads/' target='_blank'>http://www.jonro.com/downloads/</a>

Regards,

Jon

Problem-- I have downloaded the database several times -- on a VISTA machine and a WIN7 machine

In all cases it does not run - gives the message -- cannot find XERCES.DLL - but when I check

the file list XERCES.DLL is there. What am I doing wrong.??

Thank you

Sorry, I'm still using XP in virtualization. But you might want to contact jonro to see if he has any news.

The first post is from 2007, when the version of Filemaker was 9; but the license for runtime files inside the FP database shows v8.5. Filemaker is now at v11, and it may be that the older version of v8.5 (runtime or app) don't play well with Vista or 7. You might try that XP mode thingy with Win 7 to see if you can launch the db via the runtime.

I've had various versions of Filemaker (application) over the years, so I've always opened the Fountain Pen DB with the Filemaker application rather than rely on the included runtime files.

Problem-- I have downloaded the database several times -- on a VISTA machine and a WIN7 machine

In all cases it does not run - gives the message -- cannot find XERCES.DLL - but when I check

the file list XERCES.DLL is there. What am I doing wrong.??

Thank you

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately there's no version for Linux. Perhaps an open standard application that can be used on various platforms would reach more users? Libre Office http://www.libreoffice.org/ is free, has a database program and can be used on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic! Very nice work in FileMaker Pro. I downloaded the database with no problem and am now using in on 24 inch iMac. Thanks very much.

• 1 month later...

A great piece of software and i have spent some time this morning starting to insert my collection

Thank you

You can't have too many fountain pens.....

Regards,

Jon

Jon,

Thank You so much for your contribution to FPN on this program. I use it almost everyday for both my Fountain Pens and my Inks to inventory.