Hp Laserjet 24Lbs Vs. Rhodia Vs. Sugarcane?

merrycitrine

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first ream of HP laserjet 24lbs. It's great, but gives me a slight bit of tooth with fine/medium pens. I am comparing this to paper I had in an old notebook which was super smooth, but I don't know the make of.

As a Math student I use a lot of paper, for note-taking, practicing work etc. Hence, I have never bought Rhodia paper, due to how expensive it can be, and how quickly I would go through it. Having never used it, I wanted to ask you what you find is the difference between the HP and the Rhodia. Does the HP not allow much sheening, is it rougher, etc. ? How different is the feel and quality?

Also, I found at staples, a ream of 80% Sugarcane paper. I am wondering if I should get this. Does it perform even better than the HP 24lbs?

Again, the HP paper is great! I am being a bit nitpicky here as I love gliding my pen on paper without feeling it at all.

Thanks!

Edited by merrycitrine

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrycitrine

• frogbaby

• AAAndrew

• jmccarty3

I bought a ream and I do like it but I also bought a 100 pages of Tomoe River at the same time and it is hard to want to write on anything else once you start using the Tomoe.

The sugarcane copy paper and the Staples sugarcane notebooks are both pretty good.

Haven't tried the HP 24 so I can't compare the two papers.

Edited by frogbaby

I use the HP Premium Laser Jet which is 30lb. and it's smooth as can be. I've not had the pleasure of trying the Tomoe River, but it's at least as smooth as Rhodia. And smoother than the sugar cane paper. Yet doesn't feel too glassy, which can make it difficult to write on.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

The problem with both HP papers is bleedthrough. I don't see this with sugar cane paper or Tomoe River. Obviously, sugar cane is a lot less expensive than TR.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

No bleed through with any of my ink/pen combos with HP 32... If anything it's too thick!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

The Staples Sustainable Earth sugar cane paper is nice.

I use it as my primary letter writing paper with my dip pen.

• It has a very slight gray color, compared to WHITE papers.
  • It has stood up to most of the pens and inks that I have used on it without bleeding or feathering.
  • It is not as smooth as HP 32# premium. The only reason that I notice this is because of the pointed dip pen nibs that I use for my letter writing. Having said that, it is plenty smooth enough for my dip pen use.
  • The paper is strong, in that it will not feel like it is shredding when I flex my dip pens. Note that the tip of a pointed dip pen nib is "pointed" not round like a normal FP nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for the feedback everyone! My goal is to make notebooks out of this paper for my Uni-work, so I didn't want to get the 30 or 32 lb paper. Even a notebook with the 24lb paper is thicker and heavier than a regular notebook with the same number of pages! I have printed some light dots and am going to have fun with some Japanese binding ;]

I would love to try Tomoe River, Rhodia and sugarcane paper in the future. I generally steer clear of expensive papers though because feel like I could better spend that money buying inks or pens and that I would feel a bit pressured, using the expensive paper for school work!

The problem with both HP papers is bleedthrough. I don't see this with sugar cane paper or Tomoe River. Obviously, sugar cane is a lot less expensive than TR.

I didn't have issues with this! Although I use regular nibs, not flex nibs, so I am not sure how well it can handle those. Make sure you're using laserjet paper though, because the regular copy paper is terrible with fountain pens.

Edited by merrycitrine

Btw guys, what is your go-to paper for testing the quality of a nib? I hear Rhodia usually, in videos and on blogs, but I doubt that fountain pen users use this paper form a majority, since its hard to obtain and quite expensive due to the shipping.

Btw guys, what is your go-to paper for testing the quality of a nib? I hear Rhodia usually, in videos and on blogs, but I doubt that fountain pen users use this paper form a majority, since its hard to obtain and quite expensive due to the shipping.

Not sure where you live but i see Rhodia as one of the most widely available and affordable high-quality notebooks you can buy. It is all over my small city and very affordable. It's also widely available in many online stores as well.

Not sure where you live but i see Rhodia as one of the most widely available and affordable high-quality notebooks you can buy. It is all over my small city and very affordable. It's also widely available in many online stores as well.

Well, I found one store that carries them! My local pen store sells the letter size 80sheet dotpads for about 5CAD which is not too bad. I have also discovered that wonderpens has a flat shipping fee. This is great! I was looking at Goulet pens, Massdrop and other US stores and at Staples and such. Buying them from online US stores costs a lot of shipping. I wouldn't call 2 stores widely available though!

That being said, the said notebook won't even last me for one class' note-taking, let alone practice work, research work and assignments :P As a student, I still find it a bit pricey, but I know I am paying for the quality. Right now, my wallet has taken a hit from the pens and inks I have splurged on.

these guys are not inexpensive but they have a lot of stuff: http://www.stylusfinepens.com/ (calgary i think)

also, goulet is very good if you put together a large order

jetpens.com and shopwritersbloc.com carry rhodia

there is quite a bit of rhodia out there if you look around, i actually find it in the local art supply stores and independent stationery stores

http://www.rhodiapads.com/buynow.php

No bleed through with any of my ink/pen combos with HP 32... If anything it's too thick!

+1

Yes, the HP premium #32 pound Laser jet paper, and the paper in the Black n' Red notebooks have to be biggest bargains out there for FP users. I am referring to smoothness, feathering, bleed through and show through.

I use those at work instead of what i would be supplied with.

Yes, the HP is rather thick.

Personal stuff; Tomoe River, Maurman Mnemosyne, Midori inset 013, Kokuyo Y3 "Sketch Book" (it is not sketch paper), Calepino, Crane & co.. All but the last have more showthrough than the 2 in the first paragraph. :P

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

these guys are not inexpensive but they have a lot of stuff: http://www.stylusfinepens.com/ (calgary i think)

also, goulet is very good if you put together a large order

jetpens.com and shopwritersbloc.com carry rhodia

there is quite a bit of rhodia out there if you look around, i actually find it in the local art supply stores and independent stationery stores

http://www.rhodiapads.com/buynow.php

Thanks for the info! Stylus is the local store I found. I will take your advice and check out the art supply/stationary stores :)

+1

Yes, the HP premium #32 pound Laser jet paper, and the paper in the Black n' Red notebooks have to be biggest bargains out there for FP users. I am referring to smoothness, feathering, bleed through and show through.

I use those at work instead of what i would be supplied with.

Yes, the HP is rather thick.

Personal stuff; Tomoe River, Maurman Mnemosyne, Midori inset 013, Kokuyo Y3 "Sketch Book" (it is not sketch paper), Calepino, Crane & co.. All but the last have more showthrough than the 2 in the first paragraph. :P

I need to find a source for Black n' Red notebooks! I've heard so often of them.

Thanks for the info! Stylus is the local store I found. I will take your advice and check out the art supply/stationary stores :)

I need to find a source for Black n' Red notebooks! I've heard so often of them.

My local Staples store sells Black n'Red notebooks as does Office Depot. Personally, I am disappointed with the bleed/show through when used with my stub and broad nib pens.

I've resorted upon occasion to using the HP 24lb. upon occasion. Once again, expect bleed through when using some wet inks with medium nib, but definately when using a stub or broad nib. For me, that generally isn't a problem because I only use one side when writing up experiments, doing calculations, etc.

But for any information I need to keep long term or if I need both sides of the paper, I generally use Clairefontaine clothbound or hardbound books (http://www.gouletpens.com/c69142/p/C69142) which are a bit more reasonable than Rhodia - but it is the same paper. They also have a wirebound notebook, but, again, you are getting into cost. The least expensive is the staplebound but then you get less paper.

I haven't tried the Tomoe River paper yet. But I have used Midori papers in my travel journals, including the really thin paper, and they are great.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I use Black n' Red notebooks daily and really like them. But then I don't like to write on the back of paper in spiral notebooks anyway, so I guess the bleed through doesn't bother me when I does happen. (which isn't often with the inks I use though I often use stub nibs)

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I use Black n' Red notebooks daily and really like them.

Until recently, I loved Black n' Red, but the last two I tried were like writing on blotting paper -- extravagant feathering and bleed-through that was so bad that the reverse side of the page was unusable. They had both been lying around the house for 15 years before being used, which makes me wonder if paper degrades. A recently bought Black n' Red is as smooth and fountain pen friendly as I would expect it to be. Nevertheless, my adverse experience with the "vintage" notebook has made me shift my notebook loyalty to Rhodia Webbies and Nuuna notebooks. I love the 3.5mm dot spacing in the latter notebooks.

Cheers,

David.

I have some HP 24 Laser that I like. Found it on sale at Office Max. Also have a Black n Red hardcover notebook or two. Two of the best bargains out there for good FP friendly papers. I have some Rhodia in both A4 & A5 sizes and have had some A4 Clairfontaine. But for a use for what you describe? I would use the HP24 Laser (or 32) or maybe the sugarcane paper (I have no experience with it) for a notebook I was going to make or have bound myself. The BnR already are lined. To my knowledge dot or blank are NOT available.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I use Black n' Red notebooks daily and really like them. But then I don't like to write on the back of paper in spiral notebooks anyway, so I guess the bleed through doesn't bother me when I does happen. (which isn't often with the inks I use though I often use stub nibs)

Andrew

Try flipping the notebook over and write back to front. Then you can write on the back of the page without the spiral being under your hand.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for the feedback everyone! My goal is to make notebooks out of this paper for my Uni-work, so I didn't want to get the 30 or 32 lb paper. Even a notebook with the 24lb paper is thicker and heavier than a regular notebook with the same number of pages! I have printed some light dots and am going to have fun with some Japanese binding ;]...

I've made a few homemade notebooks with the 24lb paper and a coptic stitch. The 24lb paper is a good compromise for a notebook. Not too thick but good enough for a M nib or anything finer.