Fisher Of Pens - Celebration Cebloplast <M>

EclecticCollector

Earlier this year I was given the opportunity to test drive a Fisher of Pens fountain pen in exchange for writing a review on it. Unfortunately life got in the way, as it sometimes does, and I have been unable to finish my review until now. Carl probably long since gave up on seeing anything from me, but I try to always hold up my end of the bargain so here it is. Better late than never?

Fisher of Pens is a family owned and operated business based out of Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA. Started by Carl Fisher, they focus on making custom hand-turned pens using a variety of materials.

1. Appearance & Design (10/10)

Carl offered the choice of two pens to try - one in Cappuccino Swirl with a fine nib, and another in Celebration Cebloplast with a medium nib. I originally requested to try the Swirl because the material was more appealing to me and I tend to prefer fine nibs, but Carl asked if I would mind receiving the Cebloplast instead for logistical reasons. I was hesitant, but I'm glad I decided to give it a chance because photos really don't do this material justice. In person, the flecks of red and blue catch the light at all angles and give the material a feeling of surprising depth. I'm not fond of the orange flakes, but I can't hold that against the score. The overall shape is more of a rounded cylinder than a cigar, simple but well proportioned with a comfortable grip section. It came in a simple black box that has a viewing window on top and a magnetic closure.

2. Construction & Quality (9/10)

The pen is well made and polished, with no visible manufacturing marks remaining. The section screws firmly into the body with no gaps at the seam. There was one issue with this pen, and I debated whether it justified knocking off a point, but in the end I decided that it did. The problem is that the cap has no band on the lip, and the threading seems to extend too far, with the result that it's fairly easy to overtighten the cap to the point where you crack the lip. And in fact one of the previous users did just that. I have other pens where the threading doesn't allow you to do this nearly as easily, so I hope this is something they can address on future models.

3. Weight & Dimensions (10/10)

I like medium size pens, but I also like light pens, and this is a medium size light pen so it was perfect for me. From tipping to tail it measures 5 inches unposted and 6.25 inches posted (I chose to use it unposted). The section diameter is lightly tapered with a minimum diameter of 3/8 inch. Unfortunately I didn't have a suitable scale for measuring its weight but I would guesstimate it at about 18 grams. It was well balanced both posted and unposted due to the lightness of the cap.

4. Nib & Performance (10/10)

This pen comes stock with a #6 JoWo stainless steel nib. My experience with JoWo nibs is that they run true to size (as opposed to, say, Monthblanc and Pelikan whose nibs run a size large) and offer a bit of pleasant feedback, being neither wet nor dry. This one was no exception, and reminded me of my Graf von Faber-Castell Classic. If you enjoy the "butter on a hotplate" writing experience then this is not the nib for you. The tines were aligned and the tipping was uniform with a large sweet spot. I filled it with Sailor Sky High and ran it dry over the course of the week without any issues.

5. Filling System & Maintenance (10/10)

The pen came with a basic Schmidt K2 converter. I don't have a preference for any particular filling system so this was just fine by me. Easy to fill, easy to clean, there's reallly not much else to say here.

6. Cost & Value (9/10)

At the time of the review, this pen would have retailed for $175. I feel that this is a fair price given that it's handmade in the USA. The material is interesting and both the nib and converter are from well respected manufacturers. They could have cheaped out by sourcing Chinese nibs and converters to save a few dollars, but didn't. If the cap threading/cracking issue were resolved I would consider this a great deal.

7. Final score (10/10)

Overall I really enjoyed using this pen. The fit and finish were impeccable, it had a good nib and converter, and the material was very interesting. Carl was also in constant contact during the review period, answering questions quickly and generally being a nice guy. He seems to really stand behind his work, and as a buyer this is a significant factor in my purchasing decisions. Conclusion: would recommend.

post-112483-0-38096000-1434859611_thumb.jpg

post-112483-0-10718700-1434859658_thumb.jpg

post-112483-0-51923400-1434859671_thumb.jpg

Edited by EclecticCollector

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EclecticCollector

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images