Platinum Ultra-Extra-Fine Nibs - Anyone Tried?

markh

Any experience with the Platinum 3776 Century ULTRA EXTRA FINE nib??

How usable??

How does it compare with the Preppy 0.2 extra fine (the only Platinum XF nib I have tried)??

How much finer than the same pen with just a plain EXTRA FINE??

thnx,

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deacondavid

• sneak3

• jmccarty3

• Budzynski

Certainly usable IF you have a very light hand. With a nice, lubricating ink and smooth paper, you can minimize the scratchiness that is inevitable with nibs that fine. I had one and sold it, not because it was too scratchy, but because it really didn't do anything that my Sailor Extra-fine didn't do.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

I have a 3776 century with that nib and it is one of my favourites. It is not as smooth as my (so far only) other Platinum, a 3776 Balance with SF nib, but I still like the way it feels better than many pens with F nibs and I love how thin the lines can get and how reliable it is - unlike pretty much all Bock based pens I have, I don't think it ever skips or has trouble starting.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I've tried a Nakaya UEF (which is the same nib, different imprint) - actually, that was the nib size I ordered with my very first Nakaya seven years ago. I immediately swapped it for an EF, which was (at the time) still too fine for me.

After becoming a Nakaya fangoil, I've tried someone else's UEF, and it was far different from my first experience (perhaps my expectations had been changed) but still not optimal for my use. That pen, a Nakaya (again, same nib source), is the friend's daily user.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

If you have a very light hand and small handwriting it is a good nib. But for most people it won't be the easiest to write with.

Any experience with the Platinum 3776 Century ULTRA EXTRA FINE nib??

How usable??

How does it compare with the Preppy 0.2 extra fine (the only Platinum XF nib I have tried)??

How much finer than the same pen with just a plain EXTRA FINE??.

Thanks for asking this question, as it has been on my mind, too. I've come extremely close to ordering a 3776 Century with the UEF nib (either Chartres Blue or Bourgogne - my indecision on which one I like more has stayed my hand more than once) several times. It's a pity that the new Black Diamond and Chartres Blue with Rhodium are not being offered with the UEF nib. Actually, perhaps it is not - that would make my choice that much harder!

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have had a Bourgogne UEF for about a month now. It is an awesome writer and has become a daily carry pen for me. It is the finest line I have ever encountered, though my experience is with modern pens and not custom grinds. The real surprise is how smooth it writes. I was worried that it would be a scratchy writer, but it is certainly not the case.

How much do I like it? I have arranged to pick a Chatres Blue UEF at the Dallas Pen Show next month and I can't wait!

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I used to have one and it's a relatively smooth writer with quite a lot of feedback. The line width is between 0.15 and 0.18 mm, which is comparable to most Pilot's EF steel and gold nibs I have tried (0.18-0.2 mm). Platinum Century prices are great but I think that the SF nib is still a better choice which can be complemented cheaply with Preppy 0.2 (consistent 0.2 mm lines) if you still need something really fine.

Bought the UEF Platinum 3776 about three months ago and absolutely love it. yes, a light hand often works best AND, with a (very) small amount of pressure I can even get a bit of line variation. It's not as much fun, most of the time, as my flex nibs but I would not trade it. BTW, I got it at a really low price as a slightly used and excellent condition pen.

Keep in mind - YMMV!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The key to using both the Platinum and Sailor UEF nibs is to use the lightest pressure possible. Otherwise, you will find them impossible to write with.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but thought it was better than creating a new one.

I have been using Preppys 0.2 EF for quite a while and I'm ready to make the jump towards the 3776.

Can you all confirm that the 3776 EF is WIDER than Preppys 02 EF?

If that is the case than I'd need to pick up the UEF really.

I can give very little useful information to this as I do not own such a pen or nib. Having said that, I have an acquaintance that has this very pen and nib. He made the mistake of offering this pen to me to use when I was at his home and had some paperwork to fill out. I loved the nib. It was smooth and very fine. I should imagine a bottle of ink lasting a year if you used only this pen and nib every day. My friend has taken to hiding the pen whenever I am at his home. I don't blame him.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but thought it was better than creating a new one.

I have been using Preppys 0.2 EF for quite a while and I'm ready to make the jump towards the 3776.

Can you all confirm that the 3776 EF is WIDER than Preppys 02 EF?

If that is the case than I'd need to pick up the UEF really.

I have the 0.2 Preppy and the 3776 UEF, but I currently do not have a 3776 EF. I believe that my friend has one, though. I'm currently on the road, but will try to put together a comparison when I get back.

As a follow-up to my comments above regarding the UEF, I still carry at least one with me every day. They are no longer the first pen I pull out to write with, though. For that, depending on the circumstances, I will pick either my Pilot Vanishing Point with a custom needlepoint grand or my Pilot Custom 743 with a Posting nib. The Vanishing Point is just so convenient to use without having to do something with the cap and it writes so well (I have three Vanishing Points and a Decimo for just this reason - the design is outstanding and the nibs are great). The Pilot Custom 743 with a Posting nib, when inked with Kiwa-Guro, it is able to handle almost any paper I will encounter in my work or ministry and produce clean lines and the writing is a pleasurable experience. I certainly can't say the same about the UEF. Paper choice is hugely important with it. I try to use my pens with the UEF on Nock.co cards, Tomoe River, Rhodia or something similar. Otherwise, there will be a lot of feedback, which makes writing less enjoyable. Also, you have to have a very light hand to successfully use a UEF. I have one, but I know that this is not the case for everyone.

If at all possible, I highly recommend trying one out before you buy. I'm very happy with mine, but I know others who have been disappointed. I'll have a photo comparison of the three nibs as soon as possible (probably a couple of weeks).

Edited by deacondavid

Hey david, thanks for sharing that. Cant wait :)

Would you be able to directly compare the 3776 UEF to the Preppy 02 not only in line weight but especially the overall feel? That would really help me out cause Im very familiar with the Preppy and won't be able to test the UEF before commiting.

Ive checked the line samples at Goulets and the 3776 EF writes perceivably wider than both the UEF and the Preppy 02, so I ended up ruling it out, as the Preppy is really the maximum width I'm looking for. Now I'm just hoping the feel of the 3776's nib is equal or better than the Preppy's.

Edited by sneak3