My First Swan... Sm 100/59

missuslovett

I have just taken delivery of an 'Italian Marble' pattern Swan. It is... GORGEOUS. I'm simpering here. Simpering and drooling. I'm not sure what to do. Should I just gaze at its glistening patterns longingly or should I pick it up and flex its huge number 1 nib? OK. I've done both and I want to do it again and again. On another forum, I waxed lyrical about my first Montblanc and setting aside my already beloved 252, this Swan knocks it into a cocked hat. As well as being achingly beautiful, it writes eagerly and flexes at the lightest touch. It is nimble and smooth, serious and fun.

I've found all my pens to have different personalities. This is partly because I'm a girl but mostly because they offer different writing experiences. If expensive pens are the aristocrats of the pen world, then my broad 252 Montblanc is a brandy swilling continental, with a fat cigar and an account at the Monte Carlo. He may be notorious and flash but he has ample class to put his money where his mouth is. On the other hand, my Swan is a true English Gentleman. He's related to the Prince of Wales and his family probably owns Berkshire. He does things exquisitely and without fuss but when he puts on his glad rags he is the epitome of taste and breeding.

These are flights of fancy. But it's nice to have somewhere I can come and be fanciful. Here is one of my (soon to be) notoriously bad photos.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• missuslovett

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• sidthecat

I do like those metaphors!

And being me of course I can only agree about the Swan. The 59 pattern is quite sought-after and very famous; as far as I know nobody else made pens in such a pattern.

And as for what looks to be a lovely nib, well Mabie Todd again eh?

Enjoy your lovely pen. One point if you post the cap be careful: the 59s are rather prone to cracking.

Best wishes

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Thanks, Cob. I'd never seen the pattern before - no surprise as I'm no expert - it was so lush, I just had to grab! Bank balance is getting kind of perilous... And thanks for the warning. I already noticed that it's a little 'tight' around the cap. I post it so it just sits without wobbling, I'd hate to crack it.

Just to extend the metaphor, I suspect that your Montblanc 252 drives a big Mercedes, possibly a 300SE. Of course, your Swan drives a Jag. 'Space, pace and grace'. What else?

Enjoy your lovely pen.

Thanks, Cob. I'd never seen the pattern before - no surprise as I'm no expert - it was so lush, I just had to grab! Bank balance is getting kind of perilous... And thanks for the warning. I already noticed that it's a little 'tight' around the cap. I post it so it just sits without wobbling, I'd hate to crack it.

Of course cracks in circa 80-year-old Celluloid pens are by no means uncommon - I've repaired a few - the chased SM100/60 and 200/60 are also rather prone to this. but I suppose we must be realistic with these old materials.

As for tightness, well shrinkage is also not uncommon, it's a good job that you recognise this and will be looking after such a nice example and yours sounds as though it will be fine.

Best wishes

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Just to extend the metaphor, I suspect that your Montblanc 252 drives a big Mercedes, possibly a 300SE. Of course, your Swan drives a Jag. 'Space, pace and grace'. What else?

Enjoy your lovely pen.

A Jag ... an SS100? Or maybe a boat tail Phantom? I can imagine the Montblanc with a Bugatti. And I can imagine him buying a Vayron but not actually driving it.

I think I need to lie down!

For the Swan I would select an elegant Bentley like this one: and of the correct period too!

fpn_1434893530__bentley_2a.jpg

Cob

I've scored a gold ringtop with a MABIE, TODD & CO. nib. Haven't seen it yet...but it looks promising.

The No.1 on my 'Swannie', as he's come to be known, is just gorgeous. Though I'm not that well versed, I've never heard tell of a bad MT nib. Cobb's yer man for Swan's, though.

The No.1 on my 'Swannie', as he's come to be known, is just gorgeous. Though I'm not that well versed, I've never heard tell of a bad MT nib. Cobb's yer man for Swan's, though.

Well if Swannie is a male then he's a Cob!

There is an amazing range of nibs to be found on Swans; based on what I've seen you always have a good chance with the No 1s if flex is your thing, but rather rarer are some lovely obliques and delightful stubs.

Quite a lot of the Mabie Todd New York nibs were stubs and quite flexible too, a nice combination. I have been told that these nibs were for big cheeses who wanted to make impressive signatures, but I daresay that this is apocryphal. I have one installed in an old Macniven & Cameron MHR Waverley No 3 and it's lovely to write with (memo: must give it a turn!).

Cob

A flexible stub? Oooooo - want! I love flex nibs, though I had a Waterman that was almost a wet noodle and I really couldn't get on with it. It was lovely in the hand, bouncy and well balanced but it went through paper so badly, I hardly used it. I suppose the feed could have been adjusted but it was a venerable pen and I didn't fancy fiddling with it.

The old and flexible Mabie Todd nibs have a very special feeling. They are very soft and feel a bit like a brush.

PS: I think what makes them different from other nibs is that they are very flexible despite having short tines.

PPS: I have here a such a nib, which looks oblique. Where there really oblique ones? Or has it been written into an oblique?

Edited by Cepasaccus