Copperblack (More Adventures With Lustre Dust)

gyldensterne

I was going to append this to the long post about mixing ink & Lustre Dust but I couldn't find it. I accidentally created something nicer than expected. I had an old vial of ?? black around (actually back when I first started getting into fountain pens, I bought a bunch of black cartridges to refill with proper ink. I don't like using black, so I just sucked all the ink out of the various cartridges and dumped it in an empty sample vial.) It's sat for several months with no sign of turning to goo or reacting in any way, but I was never going to use it - so when the luster dust came today I figured well, if it was going to immediately junk up the ink, I might as well put it in this otherwise useless ink. I added a 'scoop' with the tip of my dip pen, shook up the vial, and braced myself for the worst part of a 1st experiment... WOW! I had to shake up my stormy gray immediately and do a comparison - and there is none. This is terrible paper and only ?? ink. For those curious, or anyone who might have a well seasoned bit of mystery ink around, it's roughly 4ml black to a 'pinch' (as one might salt) of 'bright copper' lustre dust.

I may not be able to repeat this one. Oops.

post-120424-0-15231900-1434666873_thumb.jpg

post-120424-0-08432900-1434666874_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gyldensterne

• hazel

• Octo

• WaskiSquirrel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello gyldensterne, welcome to FPN. I see this is your first post.

I like the mix you made and will try it with black ink, though I have gold Lustre Dust rather than copper.

Hello gyldensterne, welcome to FPN. I see this is your first post.

I like the mix you made and will try it with black ink, though I have gold Lustre Dust rather than copper.

Hi and thank you for the welcome! I've been watching for a while, but didn't have anything interesting to contribute. I'd be interested to see the results of black & gold, but I thought it might be too close to stormy gray... clearly there's room for improvement on that front though.

If I do get another Lustre Dust color it might be red. I'm curious to see how it wold play with Sheaffer Scrip Green around Christmas time.

The earlier thread was in the "thINKing outside the bottle" forum. Why not post there, too.

Does lustre dust behave the same way the gold particles do in Stormy Grey? There aren't any issues with the dust sticking together, clogging the feed, or dissolving in the ink?

Wonderful result! Thanks for sharing. :W2FPN:

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I like your ink. Black ink with gold (or copper) sparkles would be great. A very nice experiment!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Was the Copper sheen pretty uniform? Or was it just on those letters where the photo shows it?

I used copper with blue ink, I can't remember the name of the ink, but I couldn't see the copper in it. How much copper did you add to the black. maybe I'll try this tonight.

Does lustre dust behave the same way the gold particles do in Stormy Grey? There aren't any issues with the dust sticking together, clogging the feed, or dissolving in the ink?

The dust does settle, as it does in stormy gray, but does not seem to be dissolving - it settles evenly down to the bottom of the vial, then when shaken easily re-disperses. I wrote yesterday with a dip pen and then let the ink sit overnight for any signs of bad reaction and there haven't been. I just loaded it into a Jinhao that I've previously used with stormy gray, so I'll update with how the two seem to compare once I've had it in the pen a while.

Was the Copper sheen pretty uniform? Or was it just on those letters where the photo shows it?

The copper sheen was uniform between the two nibs used - the big, italic nib had a massive swath of sheen - though the dust does settle in the ink, like it does in the J.Herbin versions and giving it a good shake every 10 minutes or so will keep them suspended nicely. The smaller nib/writing did still have a lot of sparkle, but it was more interspersed (and harder to take a picture of). You can see it in good light or at an angle.

I used copper with blue ink, I can't remember the name of the ink, but I couldn't see the copper in it. How much copper did you add to the black. maybe I'll try this tonight.

I took my broadest nib and used it as a scoop - it was roughly this much in 4ml of ink, so actually probably quite a lot, but I never intended to make a big batch:post-120424-0-19115400-1434747945_thumb.jpg - some stuck to the nib as well it's super fine. I just stirred it in.

Maybe I'll try to add a bit more. I was afraid of adding too much. I added the same amount of mica as i did the Gray Interference. But, the ink in that was is lighter than the blue.

I really like it. It looks great!

I added more copper, it looks great now!! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/AlteredPaper/Ferris%20Wheel%20Kisses/11112480_10153462519271934_5487493845006399917_o_zpswlatzkyz.jpg