Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Uncial

Indeed. I concur. Very unsafe. Very likely to destroy any and all pens in which these inks are used. Certainly the hundreds, no thousands, of those who have bought and used these inks in the past have ruined their pens in so doing. The astonishing fact that there has not been a single report of an actual occupance of this on the various fountain pen related websites the world over can not be pointed to as evidence to the contrary. The reasonable and prudent pen owner will surely stay far away from these inks, leaving them for the truly wild and reckless. I am amazed I fall within the statistically impossible few, having used the Rouge for month after month in several pens with no ill effects whatever. It is most certainly the case that the feeds on my various pens, much like the nearly closed coronary arteries of a soon to cease ticking heart, are only moments away from their doom. I weep with regret at what I have done through my selfish and evil inky ways. Oh, say it is not so and that...pssst, um, is he gone? Shhhh! Don't let on, just see if he's still watching! Gone you say? Whew! Brilliant. OK, let's hightail it over to the ink store and pick up another bottle or two.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackhorse

• Dhruv_Sood

• drafty

• Biff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh Blackhorse :P

I can't see why someone would say these inks are unsafe to use if they haven't used them? Bizarre.

Happily Bureau Direct might have some early stock! Very excited.

Oh Blackhorse :P

I can't see why someone would say these inks are unsafe to use if they haven't used them? Bizarre.

Happily Bureau Direct might have some early stock! Very excited.

I wouldn't call them "unsafe". I just use a little additional caution. There is particulate matter in the ink. That's what makes it interesting. I wouldn't let it dry up in a pen. I would flush a pen with water after using it and between refills. I also wouldn't use it in a pen that I can't take apart to clean.

Just use a little care and they are wonderful and beautiful inks. You have seen all the oohs and ahhhs in the posts above.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Interesting indeed. I am never an optimistic. But my friend, as a fluid dynamics engineer, I have encountered many cases related to particle deposition problems and unfortunately this may be the case. It's truly a gorgeous greenish blue colour with beautiful beautiful reddish sheen, but my concerns make me less willing to pull the trigger. Anyway, I must congrats on your happy experiences and enjoy...(:

Macro vs micro physical system differences might well apply. You're assuming a non-flushable sludge is sure to gum up the works. It might depend on the nature of the particles themselves. Being flaked metallic, as opposed to a colloidal silt-like particle, they should respond well to a clear fluid flush I would think.

But certainly to each his own. Avoid them by all means.

Edited by Blackhorse

I've used Stormy Grey, Rouge Hematite and Bleu Ocean in many pens for months without any issues at all. I clean them all weekly, as I do with any pen/ink combo. I'm on my second bottle of Stormy Grey to boot. My favourite ink.

I'd maybe add that a blue/green with copper would be pretty classic...a thematic homage to verdigris. Name could be..."Crusty Old Statue in the Park". lol

hahaha that's perfect! :D

I was in Paris up until yesterday. I looked for it in the one pen store I was able to find, but alas - they didn't have it yet. I'll just have to wait for the American release.

This ink will look awesome in my clear stipula passaporto (eyedropper). Yay!

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

What's interesting to me is that this is exactly the color of emeralds here in North Carolina. Yes, we do have quite a few native emeralds here. I have one sitting on my desk that's about 3cm x 3 cm x 2 cm and it is most definitely a bluish green with mica sparkles in the included rock.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools here to take the yellowish tint out of the picture. I'll see if I can do it at home tonight. But it should give you a rough idea of the color.

I also put in a pre-order at my local B&M store which happens to sell Herbin. And I bought the Stormy Grey while there today.

Here's the emerald sitting on the yellowish window sill behind a tinted window. In other words, these are not true colors.

fpn_1435002363__emerald_1.jpg

Here's the side with more of the mica inclusions.

fpn_1435002541__emerald_2.jpg

We also have rubies, sapphires, tons of garnets, citrines and lots of other fun minerals. When you're visiting the mountains of western North Carolina you can go gem mining all over the place. Most places are tourist traps and just fill your bucket with stones bought from China, but there are some real, honest-to-goodness mines where you can find some of the good stuff. Not much of gem quality, but you do find things periodically.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I haven't been interested in any of these J.Herbin 1670 inks until now. I'll definitely be buying 1 or 2 bottles of this ink, the color of the ink itself is one of my favorites.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Thanks for your information.

If the gold particles are not fine enough, it may block the pen with no doubt. Then we just assume such things may not happened. If the gold particle is fine, however, such particles can left on the channels of the feeder. According to no-slip condition in fluid dynamics, such particles just cannot be flushed out through using. You may consider the dust on the fan blades or on your car. Thence, it will definitely damage your pens in the very end.

Conclusion, I believe these inks are not safe enough to use. Of course I am not speaking from experience either. Purely theoretical.

Anyone with experience?

I left Gris Orage to dry out in my F-C Ambition it still kinda wrote until it ran out of ink (the pen was already prone to ink evaporation) then I washed it and loaded it with Murasaki-Shikibu still good

I havent did this with rouge hematite cause rouge hematite is kind of a pain to get out cleanly

Edited by Algester

• 2 weeks later...

That is the craziest ink color I've ever seen! It justifies any broad nib you'd care to have.