140 Nib

colormyalphabet

Hey I recently received a 140 and noticed the nib is bent down a pretty good amount (shown below my m400). This is my second 140 and the first one didn't have a nib like that BUT I have seen photos of them like this before. Writes great though. Is this normal or not, should I make it straight?

http://i62.tinypic.com/dvrn1d.jpg

Edited by mynamesricky

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• colormyalphabet

• 2n7000

• fly_us

I am not an expert, but it doesn't look damaged to me. If it writes well, I would leave it unchanged.

Hi,

That curvature is very common, you may find it also in the 400 range pens of that era with "cheveron" nibs.

If it writes beautifully, as 140 nibs usually do, I'd say there is nothing wrong with it.

Enjoy.

Regards

I have had similar appearing nibs on some of my pens. If it writes well, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see any overt indication of damage to the nib.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

If it bothers you, take a paper regular school notebook, place the nib just on it, feed just off and press gently a couple of times.

The key is gently. The paper pad is soft, and high enough up that you don't bang the feed.

I had a Vac with much more bend than yours that I straightened that way.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What do you mean? Just flex the nib?

Yes, place it on the edge of a spiral notebook so the tines are on it the feed not, , hold it relatively flat and press down gently a few times. Hold it there for a second or so.

Look to see if it has started returning to normal, continue to it until it appears normal....and stop.

It's been four or more years since I did my Vac.

I don't know if I used a drill bit end to press the tines on the pad of paper or not. I think not but had the drill bit end ready to roll press the nib end straighter. Something from the Repair section....with out taking the nib out of the feed.

If one has a nib out of the feed, one can find a drill bit that fits the shape and use another to straighten the nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have three Peilikan 140s in my collection and all of the nibs are curved downward as yours is. They all write beautifully.

Ricky, I have only just now seen this thread and am slightly surprised that no one has commented on your M400 -- <that's> the one you ought to be looking at! The left-hand tine (looking down on the pen, as you write) appears to be lower than the right -- surely this might give you some scratchiness at certain points of your writing. Why don't you adjust <that>?

Are you aware of any less-than-smoothness in that nib? Perhaps it is fine for you; but I would want to adjust it (you can do it yourself by careful and judicious finger pressure -- see the pages of Richard Binder)

Both of my 140's have a very slight down bend....not as much as yours.

140 nibs typically curve downward. It is vintage. It should not be expected to be like a newer generation pen. Also, a finite number remain. Please consider using it as-is unless there is a real problem.

Ricky, I have only just now seen this thread and am slightly surprised that no one has commented on your M400 -- <that's> the one you ought to be looking at! The left-hand tine (looking down on the pen, as you write) appears to be lower than the right -- surely this might give you some scratchiness at certain points of your writing. Why don't you adjust <that>?

Are you aware of any less-than-smoothness in that nib? Perhaps it is fine for you; but I would want to adjust it (you can do it yourself by careful and judicious finger pressure -- see the pages of Richard Binder)

I was surprised no one mentioned that either. But yeah it did cause a lot of scratchiness, I was able to fix it real easy though. And yeah I decided not to touch the 140 nib. It writes beautifully anyway. Thanks for the input everyone!

Edited by mynamesricky

And yeah I decided not to touch the 140 nib. It writes beautifully anyway. Thanks for the input everyone!

Good choice. Like others have written on this thread, I also have a 140 with a nib that has a downward curvature. This 140 has one of my most expressive nibs!

Although I have no information on this subject, I always thought the downward curvature on these vintage nibs was a design feature that helped the nib to flex a bit easier. Then again, I could be completely mistaken. ;)

The 400's of that era are flat.

Hey I recently received a 140 and noticed the nib is bent down a pretty good amount (shown below my m400). This is my second 140 and the first one didn't have a nib like that BUT I have seen photos of them like this before. Writes great though. Is this normal or not, should I make it straight?

http://i62.tinypic.com/dvrn1d.jpg

Maybe yours is bent down a little bit more than common. But nothing too bad. I would leave it as it is.

17365910382_7a7fc74d43_o.png

C.