The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Groovy Desk Set

sheaffer desk set marble

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 20:59

Can someone tell me the purpose of the shallow channel or groove that is found on some of the stone desk sets? I can speculate (pencil, letter opener, etc.) but was there a specific reason for it?

Sheaffer desk set groove 003.JPG

It may be of interest to some that this particular desk set came from Lipic's. The label reads: Lipic's / "The Pen House of St. Louis" / Corner 8th & Olive [CORRECTION: 6th & Olive, per cleosmama]/ St. Louis, Missouri.

Sheaffer desk set groove 005.JPG

Any tips on polishing marble? I've used the "soft, dry cloth" method, and obviously don't want to do damage. It's in terrific condition; just want to bring out the glow.

Edited by Manalto, 17 June 2015 - 22:09.

James

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 21:31

I always assumed the grove was for resting the pen in when you pause writing but are not through and ready to put it back in the holder.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 21:46

Thanks for posting the label. I'm a St. Louisan, but I don't remember or know of Lipic's Pen House (this would have been in downtown at 6th and Olive). 

I did a little looking online, and I see that they are still in business as a "name recognition" firm. . The company is now located on Big Bend, in St. Louis County, still run by members of the Lipic family.

At one time, the company also made fountain pens: https://munsonpens.w...the-radium-pen/

Mr. Binder lists the company in his Glossary on his site: http://www.richardsp.../glossary/L.htm

#4 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,026 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 22:18

I always assumed the grove was for resting the pen in when you pause writing but are not through and ready to put it back in the holder.

That was one of my speculations too (it didn't seem prudent to list them all), but is that really any more convenient? To me it seems more awkward than just putting it back in its holder (proper terminology needed here, too). You're probably right, but I'm trying to get it straight from the Sheaffer's mouth.

Thanks for posting the label. I'm a St. Louisan, but I don't remember or know of Lipic's Pen House (this would have been in downtown at 6th and Olive). 

I did a little looking online, and I see that they are still in business as a "name recognition" firm. . The company is now located on Big Bend, in St. Louis County, still run by members of the Lipic family.

At one time, the company also made fountain pens: https://munsonpens.w...the-radium-pen/

Mr. Binder lists the company in his Glossary on his site: http://www.richardsp.../glossary/L.htm

Thanks for the correction. I read that stuff about name recognition; resourceful of them to adapt to changing times. 

Edited by Manalto, 17 June 2015 - 22:19.

James

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:01

It is a pencil groove and so stated in many Sheaffer catalogs.

Roger W. 

#6 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,026 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:23

It is a pencil groove and so stated in many Sheaffer catalogs.

Roger W. 

Thanks, Roger. I can now go to my grave content.

James

#7 terim

terim

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 18:55

Not sure what is meant by "name recognition," since Lipic wasn't exactly a well known brand to begin with.

Here's one of their basic models:

lipic_bchr_5.jpg

lipic_bchr_4.jpg

TERI

Teri Morris, PEYTON STREET PENS

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Instagram for Peyton Street Pens
We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#8 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,026 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 18:57

Not sure what is meant by "name recognition," since Lipic wasn't exactly a well known brand to begin with.

Here's one of their basic models:

lipic_bchr_5.jpg

lipic_bchr_4.jpg

TERI

Lipic's has branched out into marketing. The "name recognition" they tout is probably something to do with corporate branding.

Thanks for the pen photos - looks like a Sheaffer 'Old Timer,' doesn't it? (By the way, do you have any of those, Teri?)

Edited by Manalto, 18 June 2015 - 18:58.

James

#9 terim

terim

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 14:40

Lipic's has branched out into marketing. The "name recognition" they tout is probably something to do with corporate branding.

Thanks for the pen photos - looks like a Sheaffer 'Old Timer,' doesn't it? (By the way, do you have any of those, Teri?)

We have two of the Le Black Old Timers right now....
Teri Morris, PEYTON STREET PENS

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Instagram for Peyton Street Pens
We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#10 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,471 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:22

Cool desk set. Glad to see there was a Missouri fountain pen maker. I'm not from St. Louis, but am from Missouri.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, desk set, marble

Sponsored Content

|