Which Nib For Platinum 3776 Century?

Sailor Kenshin

I'm on the verge of buying one, but which nib? F or M?

I am wondering whether the 3776 M nib is anything like the broad, rather wet Plaisir/Preppy M. Don't get me wrong...I like broad, wet nibs, but maybe I want to go for something finer in this case?

How does the 3776 F compare to Sailor's F?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• elevennx

• hari317

• WaskiSquirrel

I'm on the verge of buying one, but which nib? F or M?

I am wondering whether the 3776 M nib is anything like the broad, rather wet Plaisir/Preppy M. Don't get me wrong...I like broad, wet nibs, but maybe I want to go for something finer in this case?

How does the 3776 F compare to Sailor's F?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

I've wondered the same thing about the 3776 medium. I have a broad, and it puts down a line just a little wider than the Preppy medium. Seems consistent with the tipping sizes listed on nibs.com. The broad is supposed to be a .6. And I'm assuming the Preppy medium 05 designation means a .5 tip. That difference looks about right in terms of what I see on paper.

I've been thinking of getting a medium 3776 next. But nibs.com lists the medium as being a .49 sized tip. I have a feeling it will be awfully close to the Preppy medium. But it's hard to say, because I've seen writing samples of the 3776 medium looking thinner than what I see in my medium Preppy.

A Soft Fine nib is available on some of the 3776 models too, in case that appeals to you. I might end up opting for that nib instead of the medium. More likely though, I'll end up with both at some point.

Do you know which 3776 you want to get?

I sprang for the Bourgogne in M...but I probably won't stop there....

My next will no doubt have the soft fine. Either a blue or black, because Black Goes With Everything.

Thanks to you both, Hari and Elevennx!

I sprang for the Bourgogne in M...but I probably won't stop there....

My next will no doubt have the soft fine. Either a blue or black, because Black Goes With Everything.

Thanks to you both, Hari and Elevennx!

No problem. I hope you love it. I have limited experience with them so far, but I think they are fantastic pens. They feel great in the hand, and those nibs are just about perfect to me. In fact, it's kind of spoiled me so that I am no longer as interested in a lot of other pens I used to want because I love the bigger nib on the Platinum.

If you end up interested in the soft fine nib, there is also going to be a soft medium available on the Platinum 3776 Century Yamanaka that's being released in July. I started another thread on it in the Japan section with pics, in case you are curious.

Please let me know how that medium seems to you once you get it, especially compared to the Preppy medium line width. Might influence my own decision.

No problem. I hope you love it. I have limited experience with them so far, but I think they are fantastic pens. They feel great in the hand, and those nibs are just about perfect to me. In fact, it's kind of spoiled me so that I am no longer as interested in a lot of other pens I used to want because I love the bigger nib on the Platinum.

If you end up interested in the soft fine nib, there is also going to be a soft medium available on the Platinum 3776 Century Yamanaka that's being released in July. I started another thread on it in the Japan section with pics, in case you are curious.

Please let me know how that medium seems to you once you get it, especially compared to the Preppy medium line width. Might influence my own decision.

It's here and loaded.

I had a moment of panic when I couldn't get a cart seated. But then I used a new cart and it seated and started writing in moments.

The M is not quite as broad as the Plaisir M, or so it seems to me. And the nib is VERY springy. And just a bit scratchy, or it has an even smaller sweet spot than a Sailor nib.

I haven't written but a couple of sentences yet, so maybe the slight catch in the nib will disappear soon. I hope!

I have a 3776 medium and recently acquired a 3776 soft fine. As you say, there is a bit of feedback with these nibs. I haven't noticed a sweet spot, but that may be just the way I write. The medium writes surprisingly wide, so it was easier for me to buy the SF nib rather than the broad even though I considered both.

By the way: great color choice. I can't believe how nice a clear red plastic can look!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

It's here and loaded.

I had a moment of panic when I couldn't get a cart seated. But then I used a new cart and it seated and started writing in moments.

The M is not quite as broad as the Plaisir M, or so it seems to me. And the nib is VERY springy. And just a bit scratchy, or it has an even smaller sweet spot than a Sailor nib.

I haven't written but a couple of sentences yet, so maybe the slight catch in the nib will disappear soon. I hope!

Thanks for the comparison with the Plaisir. Sounds like it is fairly close though, based on what you said. Any pics of the two?

Sorry you are feeling a bit of scratchiness. I have the broad nib right now and there's not a hint of scratchiness, even if I roll the nib as I write (a bad habit of mine). Maybe yours just needs to be written with for a while. Do the tines appear to be well-aligned?

I'm surprised that it feels very springy to you. I'd heard these nibs are pretty stiff. My broad certainly is. Do you have a light touch, typically?

I think I have a medium touch, and the nib feels ULTRA-springy!

But then I am comparing it directly to the Plaisir/Preppy line, and those are, happily, nails. It's writing a little better now. My hands are shaky today, even shakier now that I spent an hour picking through and washing lettuce, lol.

I can try for a direct Plaisir/3776 comparison later.

Waski, I wanted the Bourgogne the minute I saw it and it is soooo beautiful!

I think I have a medium touch, and the nib feels ULTRA-springy!

But then I am comparing it directly to the Plaisir/Preppy line, and those are, happily, nails. It's writing a little better now. My hands are shaky today, even shakier now that I spent an hour picking through and washing lettuce, lol.

I can try for a direct Plaisir/3776 comparison later.

Wow, now you have me really curious to try that nib.

An hour of lettuce washing? Do you own a rabbit farm?

I'll be on the lookout for your comparison. What ink do you have in the 3776?

Wow, now you have me really curious to try that nib.

An hour of lettuce washing? Do you own a rabbit farm?

I'll be on the lookout for your comparison. What ink do you have in the 3776?

Wahahaaa...I don't even grow lettuce (doesn't work for me). A gift from my dear neighbor. I think it's Romaine.

In the 3776, I have a Platinum Black cart. The Preppy has been refilled with Aurora Black. The difference, so far, has been very difficult to discern. I'll try to get a pic up later.

Unfortunately, there is still one snaggy spot, and I can't see anything obvious under magnification.

Ok, here. I see a difference with my nose a foot from the paper...but after all there are two different inks in use. Maybe the lines/nib output would have seemed closer with the same ink, but the Preppy does write broader and maybe wetter.

18480098273_22227f6ce1_z.jpg

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My 3776 century M writes a much finer line than the preppy M. But 3776 M is very wet, so I have to use a relatively dryer ink like Noodler's eternal black.

Wahahaaa...I don't even grow lettuce (doesn't work for me). A gift from my dear neighbor. I think it's Romaine.

In the 3776, I have a Platinum Black cart. The Preppy has been refilled with Aurora Black. The difference, so far, has been very difficult to discern. I'll try to get a pic up later.

Unfortunately, there is still one snaggy spot, and I can't see anything obvious under magnification.

Ok, here. I see a difference with my nose a foot from the paper...but after all there are two different inks in use. Maybe the lines/nib output would have seemed closer with the same ink, but the Preppy does write broader and maybe wetter.

18480098273_22227f6ce1_z.jpg

That's a fantastic comparison! Looks pretty clear to me that the 3776 medium is definitely finer than the Preppy medium. The 3776 looks like a fine in comparison. Makes me wonder what the 3776 fine is like.

My 3776 century M writes a much finer line than the preppy M. But 3776 M is very wet, so I have to use a relatively dryer ink like Noodler's eternal black.

Yeah, your experience seems to match the writing sample above. Good to know. You really can't go by reported tipping sizes alone.

I have the Fine and like, but also want the medium. The fine works good for note taking, but when writing general thought's or personal stuff I like a slightly broader nib.

I have only ever bought two oens because I was mesmerized by their looks and HAD to have them:

A Sailor ProGear LE Black Velvet, and this 3776 Bourgogne.

The Sailor came from nibs-dot-com, was tuned to my hand, and is a wonderful writer. Every time I use it, I am happy.

This Bourgogne came from Amazon and has to be one of my greatest disappointments.

It is SCRATCHY. I can run a finger across the nib and all but cut myself. But even looking at the nib with 40x magnification, I can't tell what's wrong with it.

Gaaaaah! Beautiful pen, lousy nib.

I have only ever bought two oens because I was mesmerized by their looks and HAD to have them:

The Sailor came from nibs-dot-com, was tuned to my hand, and is a wonderful writer. Every time I use it, I am happy.

This Bourgogne came from Amazon and has to be one of my greatest disappointments.

It is SCRATCHY. I can run a finger across the nib and all but cut myself. But even looking at the nib with 40x magnification, I can't tell what's wrong with it.

Sorry to hear that. I had the opposite experience bought a Sailor from Japan it arrived very scratchy. I bought my 3776 from Mottishaw and it writes very smoothly.

Have you tried using a different ink? I found that Platinum Pigment Blue works very well with it. You should have gotten a cartridge of it with the pen.

Really sorry to hear this. You said you bought it from Amazon, right? You should see if they will let you return it, or else have it replaced. If you make a case that there is something wrong with the pen, and in your case it sounds like there is, you might get results. Either way, I hope it works out for you. If you can't return/exchange it, I imagine something can be done for that nib. Hopefully an easy fix can be suggested by someone here with more experience than me.

I just bought this pen a few days ago and am having the exact same issue. It seems that if you use a wet ink it softens the blow a bit. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out why it gives so much feedback. Also, mine is a medium but it's finer than my pilot metropolitan medium. Almost feels like it should be an extra fine.

Thanks, everyone...I probably could get a refund from Amazon. Maybe I'll go that route.

Or maybe the nib can be smoothed. There's really nothing wrong with ink flow (thanks for the suggestion, frajer, but can NOT use blue ink in red pen, lol!), just the burr I can feel but cannot see.

Such a prettyyyyyy pen!

And, yes. I was hoping the nib would run finer than the Plaisir M.