The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Recommendations For Whom To Send A Difficult Twsbi?

vac700 diamond 580 dry nib scratchy nib nibmeister twsbi

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rhymingisfun

rhymingisfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 18:07

I recently sent my broad Diamond 580AL to TWSBI because it was skipping a lot of would not write unless I laid down quite a bit of pressure. Since it was sent back, the problem persists. Anyone have a recommendation for a good nibmeister to send my pen to? I had also sent in my fine Vac 700, which I now regret because I put quite a bit of work into it to get it to write well. I thought it could be tweaked to write wetter, but it came back drier and scratchier than before. But I'll just swap it out for my Goulet 1.5mm, which writes a lot better.

Sponsored Content

#2 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 18:32

Pendleton Brown?

#3 Suji

Suji

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 18:42

+1 for Pendleton Brown

His lead times are excellent too.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

#4 rhymingisfun

rhymingisfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 19:57

I checked out Pendleton Brown, looks expensive but worth it. Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'm just going to return the Diamond. I'm angry at being told that the problem was that I write too lightly.

#5 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 21:47

Dan Smith from nibsmith.com would be another option - I understand his turnaround times are not too bad. Postage costs (Aus to US) are the only thing that have prevented me trying him out.

Edited by Jamerelbe, 16 June 2015 - 21:49.

#6 Blackhorse

Blackhorse

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 22:32

Hmghph! I'd bet your baseball bat applied to the forehead of that "customer service" moron wouldn't be applied too lightly. Er...in theory of course!

#7 beanbag

beanbag

Sailor Shigure

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:05

It's not that hard to learn nib adjustment and do it yourself.  Search youtube for how to make a nib wetter, and nib adjustment or alignment.

#8 Feanaaro

Feanaaro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:24

does it really make sense to send a 60$ pen to a nibmeister? I would try to adjust it by yourself, and if it does not work you can still buy another goulet nib, or an entire new TWISBI nib unit, and would still spend less money than with the nibmeister.

edit: sorry, goulet nibs of course do not fit the 580. Still, the point about another TWSBI nib unit stands.

Edited by Feanaaro, 17 June 2015 - 08:25.

#9 rhymingisfun

rhymingisfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 15:20

does it really make sense to send a 60$ pen to a nibmeister? I would try to adjust it by yourself, and if it does not work you can still buy another goulet nib, or an entire new TWISBI nib unit, and would still spend less money than with the nibmeister.

edit: sorry, goulet nibs of course do not fit the 580. Still, the point about another TWSBI nib unit stands.

That's what I did with my Vac 700, I have a Goulet nib for that pen which works wonderfully.

#10 rhymingisfun

rhymingisfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 15:28

Hmghph! I'd bet your baseball bat applied to the forehead of that "customer service" moron wouldn't be applied too lightly. Er...in theory of course!

Haha! Thanks for that, I suppose I wanted to vent a little.

#11 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 00:21

I had my 580 given the Tomahawk treatment by Art of Art's Nibs.com
reasonable prices, quick turnaround.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#12 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:55

I had my 580 given the Tomahawk treatment by Art of Art's Nibs.com
reasonable prices, quick turnaround.

Art's had his very talented hands on a lot of my pens. I can't say enough good things about him and his work.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#13 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:10

That's what I did with my Vac 700, I have a Goulet nib for that pen which works wonderfully.

NICE!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vac700, diamond 580, dry nib, scratchy nib, nibmeister, twsbi

Sponsored Content

|