Please Help Me...sheaffer Legacy Heritage

kendowater

Hello everyone! I've been reading on here a while, but this is the first time I've actually made an account! Unfortunately my first post is one where I need help...

So picture me, extremely happy about making my purchase of the Sheaffer Legacy Heritage. I ink it up in J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche because the cartridge Sheaffer Skrip was really weird and bled through everything. Everything is going great, it is writing well and feels pretty good, when all of a sudden it starts hardcore feathering. "That's weird" I say, so I go to better quality paper. Writing in my Black n' Red notebook it is doing the same thing. Everything was going fine, why is it doing this now? I have a Medium nib. Pictures explain too:

post-123391-0-59723400-1434413813_thumb.jpg

post-123391-0-10183100-1434413821_thumb.jpg

post-123391-0-24914700-1434413823_thumb.jpg

post-123391-0-91298600-1434413825_thumb.jpg

I also had my Lamy Safari with the same ink for reference.

Why could this be happening? Am I don't something wrong?

I know Black n' Red isn't the MOST amazing paper in the universe, but is it the culprit?

Thanks!!

post-123391-0-56495200-1434413816_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• kendowater

• Doug1426

• jar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check your nib closely to see if there is a small piece of paper 'lint' or other debris in it. That can sometimes be the cause of this sort of thing. You may be able to remove it just using your fingers to wipe the nib, or use a piece of lint free paper such as a kimwipe to do it.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Did you flush the pen with water and dish detergent? If so, then you did not flush out all the soapy water. Dish detergent is a very effective feathering agent.....

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Did you flush the pen with water and dish detergent? If so, then you did not flush out all the soapy water. Dish detergent is a very effective feathering agent.....

I just used regular water, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever use detergent!

Check your nib closely to see if there is a small piece of paper 'lint' or other debris in it. That can sometimes be the cause of this sort of thing. You may be able to remove it just using your fingers to wipe the nib, or use a piece of lint free paper such as a kimwipe to do it.

AH HA!!! THANK YOU! It's working now!!!

I did another flush and put the ink in again and it's working again! There must have been something lodged in there! I have NO doubt that's what happened, because I kept messing around with the flex of the gold nib! I had no idea that could cause feathering!

Thanks a ton, both of you guys!

Edited by kendowater

I just used regular water, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever use detergent!

AH HA!!! THANK YOU! It's working now!!!

I did another flush and put the ink in again and it's working again! There must have been something lodged in there! I have NO doubt that's what happened, because I kept messing around with the flex of the gold nib! I had no idea that could cause feathering!

There is no flex in that gold nib and don't try to flex it. The Sheaffer inlaid nib is not a good candidate for flexing.

My Website

...I kept messing around with the flex of the gold nib! I had no idea that could cause feathering!

Don't. You could damage the inlaid gold nib, it's not meant to flex.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Regarding flushing with 'soapy water'......

FWIW, I just put one tiny drop of mild liquid soap in a cup of water to flush......

I find that with repeated fill and flushes, pens get well cleaned this way.....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Regarding flushing with 'soapy water'......

FWIW, I just put one tiny drop of mild liquid soap in a cup of water to flush......

I find that with repeated fill and flushes, pens get well cleaned this way.....

That is the right way to do it!

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

If you flush with soapy water for 1 second you have to flush with clear clean water for 10 minutes. heh. I would bet the whole farm you left some soap behind and inked it.

Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt.

Flush it and flush it really good. Then when you are done flush it some more. and then again.

and then some more.

Then let it dry (nib down in a cup with some paper in it will draw out most of the ink.

then ink it.

I have a Legacy I with a bouncy nib. I have to resist the temptation to do flexy bits with it. That road lies disaster.

Nice pen. Enjoy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

If you flush with soapy water for 1 second you have to flush with clear clean water for 10 minutes. heh. I would bet the whole farm you left some soap behind and inked it.

Get the deed ready. Those two numbers are gross exaggerations. Proper flushing with clean water will flush a cleaning solution from the section and feed in far less than ten minutes. If a bulb syringe is used, complete flushing can be accomplished quickly.

Fred