Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black: A Perfect Match For My Pen

dms525

Thank you for the great review. Looks like I'm going to have to take my bottle off the shelf and get this one back into a pen!

Buzz

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• inkstainedruth

• cimmerian

• The Good Captain

Does anyone know if this Skrip B-B ink has iron gall?

No, not as far as I know, or any other reviews or comments have mentioned.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

This is the only ink I've been using lately. Oddly, in my neck of the woods, it's an ink hard to come by in stores. Neither Office Depot nor Staples carry it, I have to get mine online. Which means, it ends up being more expensive per ml than Diamine ink ordered directly from the UK. But it's worth it.

This is the only ink I've been using lately. Oddly, in my neck of the woods, it's an ink hard to come by in stores. Neither Office Depot nor Staples carry it, I have to get mine online. Which means, it ends up being more expensive per ml than Diamine ink ordered directly from the UK. But it's worth it.

Ha! None of the office supply stores where I live even carry FP ink, except maybe in cartridges. One art supply store which is locally owned does have a small but nice array of FP's and inks.

David

Thanks David! I'm going to need to try it out.

And, I think I know that locally owned art supply store that you mention, and I think they have it on the shelf. I'm gonna run by there tomorrow!

No iron gall in it. It's a perennial "safe" ink.

Recently found a bottle I had packed away in the wrong place about 1983. The old bottle, metal top with the cup on the side the of the mouth of the jar like a little shelf of ink. It is still fine ink, smells right, and will be rationed. Lively coloration. Can hardly wait to compare it to a bottle of recent vintage.

Brian

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

Ha! None of the office supply stores where I live even carry FP ink, except maybe in cartridges. One art supply store which is locally owned does have a small but nice array of FP's and inks.

David

My local art store carries Mont Blanc, Waterman, and Parker bottles but no Skrip.

But it looks like there's a pen shop in a mall not far from me that I should check out.

BTW, I agree that Diamine Prussian Blue comes close but next to Skrip Blue-Black it looks faded.

And thanks for the beautiful writing sample, which nicely brings out the nuances of this ink.

Does anyone know if this Skrip B-B ink has iron gall?

No, not as far as I know, or any other reviews or comments have mentioned.

Unless I am completely mistaken in my understanding of iron gall inks, an old MSDS from 1999 implies Skrip BB at one time was an iron gall. I accessed the MSDS from the Dick Blick Skrip Bottle Ink page (http://www.dickblick.com/products/sheaffer-ink-bottles/). On the first page, the ingredients are listed. It states that iron compounds and tannic acid are present in the blue-black and royal blue inks. I cannot say if this applies to the current formulation, but I was quite surprised by the MSDS.

DBH_20823.pdf

+1 for Sheaffer Skrip inks......

And very nice italic writing, David!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

+1 for Sheaffer Skrip inks......

And very nice italic writing, David!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Thanks, Mark!

David

Hey-hey!

Who's got two thumbs and a brand-new bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black? This guy!

I went to a big Staples-like stationary store that we've got in Brazil that sometimes carry Sheaffer ink (where I buy my Skrip Black) and a lady was kind enough to check for me on their system if any of their stores had the elusive Blue-Black. There was none near me but I saw the name of the town where my spouse's sister lives. I asked her to buy it for me, as I knew I would see her this past weekend for Father's Day in yet another town where their parents live.

And now I'm the happy bloke in town! :lol:

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

Well, the place I expected to get a bottle didn't have the Blue-black in stock, when I went in there a month or so ago. So that might be on my shopping list for DCSS this weekend....
I did pick up a partial bottle of vintage Skrip Blue-black in an antiques store (yes, I think it's one of the bottles with the inkwell in the top :thumbup:) but haven't had a chance to try it yet. But it's now made me curious: anyone know how different the formulations between the vintage stuff and the modern stuff would be, especially as to color (and given the discussion about whether or not the old stuff was an iron gall ink or not)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Has anyone tested the new Slovenian bottle BlueBlack for lightfastness?

Good idea! I think I can do that. I've got a window here in my office the sun hits directly every morning, the whole morning. How long an exposure would you consider ideal?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

Well, I've now picked up a bottle of the (modern) Skrip Blue-Black -- one of the inks on my short list for DCSS. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, though. I had tried to wean down the stash of what pens were in rotation, but then several of the pens I had repaired over the weekend got inked up.... So I'm kinda back to where I started....

Once the "in rotation" pens get narrowed back down to a manageable level, I want to do a side-by-side with both the vintage and modern versions.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I've now picked up a bottle of the (modern) Skrip Blue-Black --

[...] Once the "in rotation" pens get narrowed back down to a manageable level, I want to do a side-by-side with both the vintage and modern versions.

I look forward to this comparison.