Why A Fountain Pen?

Rumyana

What is your favourite thing about Fountain pens?

For me it's is the style, the fines and the soul that each one have!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Opooh

• Mr Blifil

• Bill Broome

The colours of ink and the line variation. Environmentally friendly too.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Every time I sit at my desk to write a letter with a fountain pen reminds me of the era I grew up in. I see my Mom writing a letter to my Dad serving in the Air force during World War two.Her look of joy when she received a reply from him, knowing he was alive and well.

The simple, yet elegant Esterbrook I use brings back memories from my generation.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

1. There is poetry in it. Beauty.

2. There's style. The nib is more elegant than ballpoint.

3. It's smoother than some ballpoints.

4. I love the procedure of filling it ant I just love writing with it on paper. (I never use my organiser in the telephone because it's not about touching the paper and making words appear on it).

However ballpoint pens are more practical: the ink stands water, and they are less likely to be out of order when dropped.

The cat in my profile picture is a painting by Oxana Zaika.

I have discovered that only the coolest people use fountain pens. I grew up wanting to be one of the " cool kids ". This is my last chance. Please say it's okay.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

It would simply be too mortifying and shameful to be seen using a ball point or a roller ball and my family would suffer as outcasts and untouchables should I be caught in public using a roller ball or especially a ball point. I doubt I could ever show my face in public after something as hideous and embarrassing.

My Website

I just like the way ink looks on the page. Also, I'm weird.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Ballpoints just gave me achy hands when writing longer than 30 mins and i had just started a masters, could've been size and not pressure but it was night and day difference, and besides they look really nice.

Many of these reasons stated above are true for me. My 92-year-old mother has always used a fountain pen, a Parker 51 with Sheaffer Peacock Blue ink. I always found fountain pens to be an elegant way to write. When I was a child, my pediatrician used a Parker as well. I always liked the arrow clip.

I like the way fountain pens write. They require little or no pressure to put ink on a piece of paper. I can write all day long without a problem. I also like the tremendous variety of ink available. With the almost limitless combination of inks and pens available, one can leave a unique record when writing.

I have also found a very interesting group of people who take the time and trouble to use and enjoy fountain pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The yummy range of colors. Also, they're classy, and more than just a little quirky, especially vintage pens (which is the bulk of my stash at this point). And they just seem to feel better in my hand, maybe because most of mine are somewhat larger in girth than your average BP.

Plus, no one says "Hey, nice pen!" when you're using a BIC Crystal. But I've got compliments on my fountain pens. Ironically, mostly on the Noodler's Konrads (I long for the day when someone comes up to me and says that and then says "Is that a Parker 51?" or "Is that a Parker Vacumatic?").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My top ten reasons for using fountain pens are:

10--They're greener. You never need to toss anything in the land fill, because the pen is permanent and empty ink bottles and caps are recyclable.

9--Although I don't use a lot of different ones, there is a wide choice of ink colors.

8--Among the blues, blacks, reds, greens and grays I do use there are choices better than any available in BP's or RB's.

7--You can vary the line width, making the text more expressive.

6--An extensive variety of pens of different character and appearance is available, making it likely you can find one that suits you perfectly, or several for different writing situations.

5--The action of point/paper contact is more tactile, has greater dynamic range, and is easier to manage.

4--The qualities listed in 5, aside from the pleasurable inherent sensory experience, result in more attractive, more energetic, more readable penmanship.

3--Writing with a fountain pen is more relaxed, more relaxing.

2--Writing with pen and ink one participates in an ancient human activity of literacy.

1--Like a photographic transparency, pen on paper may in the end be more archival than a digital file of the same information.

Edited by Mr Blifil

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

It just makes sense.

I've got a bottle of ink and a piece of paper. A fountain pen is the perfect tool to get the ink onto the paper.

The enjoyment factor is a nice bonus.

Thanks.

Those brutes!? Well, sometimes, when they understand me, and that's not often, poor fellows. It's a pity Master Jones must put up with them. But then, what is he? The little ba-oops--unfortunate child.

Edited by Mr Blifil

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

I have discovered that only the coolest people use fountain pens. I grew up wanting to be one of the " cool kids ". This is my last chance. Please say it's okay.

Really. You are cool, and I suspect that you won't care what others think. You have used a lot of cool pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Why fountain pens? I use them because that's the way I have always done it. Since grade school in the 1950s.

First a Parker 51 in 1970. Then a couple of Montblancs in 1983. 146 and 144R. Added a few more since. I am accustomed to using them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.