The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kudos To Noodler's!

noodlers goulet pens lamy palladium smearing quick drying fast drying

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:39

Last January I bought a Lamy Palladium, medium nib, that was love at the first sight - finishing, balance, look and feel, superb design, everything was there, expect for the fact that it writes really wet. I'm not a left-handed, but write in a way that my hand drags over the previously written line.

You know what happens.

After a bit of research I found Noodler's Bernanke Blue, a quick drying ink that would solve the problem. As I have never used a "special" ink, I was kind of skeptic, what made the outcome even more satisfying - no smearing WHATSOEVER. It literally takes ONE second to dry!

I want to congratulate Noodler's for the terrific product and Goulet Pens for the amazing service!

kiss-and-thank-you-smiley-emoticon_zpsni

Marcelo

Edited by marcelo, 14 June 2015 - 03:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:20

wasnt the bernanke notorious for feathering due to its quick drying properties?

#3 Chemyst

Chemyst

Antique

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:54

I found Noodler's Bernanke Blue, a quick drying ink that would solve the problem. As I have never used a "special" ink, I was kind of skeptic, what made the outcome even more satisfying - no smearing WHATSOEVER. It literally takes ONE second to dry!

The Bernanke inks are the sole surviving refugees of a discontinued line of inks for left handed overwriters (SwishMix), once exclusive to (the now defunct) Swisher Pens.  If you want more color variety in inks that behave like the Bernanke inks, you might search the secondary market for old bottles of SwishMix.

Good hunting!

Chemyst is not and never was a representative of Noodler's Ink. As misrepresentations like this are not allowed on FPN, Chemyst's right to participate on our board was therefore withdrawn, as from March 2016.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

#4 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:41

The Bernanke inks are the sole surviving refugees of a discontinued line of inks for left handed overwriters (SwishMix), once exclusive to (the now defunct) Swisher Pens.  If you want more color variety in inks that behave like the Bernanke inks, you might search the secondary market for old bottles of SwishMix.

Good hunting!

Nice tip, Chemyst. ;) Thanks!

#5 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:42

This I don't know, Algester.

#6 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:13

I'm not a left-handed, but write in a way that my hand drags over the previously written line.

Don't write like that and you can use any ink you want.

James

#7 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 15:13

Don't write like that and you can use any ink you want.

Not an easy change, do you agree? ;)

#8 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 16:00

I enjoy my Kiwa-guro as my fast drying black.. its good that Sailor has expanded their colors on this line... maybe... they are even mixable...

#9 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 16:31

Not an easy change, do you agree? ;)

Only you can answer that question and it looks like you already have.

James

#10 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 17:19

Only you can answer that question and it looks like you already have.

You nailed it!

#11 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 13:39

You're right, it does...

#12 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 20:23

Yes, I think so.  It's been quite awhile since either I or my son have used it for that reason, but neither of us has a specific need for a quick-drying ink, so we were ill-inclined to compromise.  I should borrow another fill from my son's bottle to see how it performs on Tomoe River paper.  I really like the color.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#13 bassmannate

bassmannate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:24

I am right handed and used to write with a terrible overhand hook. I had a left handed 1st grade teacher and picked it up from her. When I started using fountain pens a few years ago, I dropped the hook. Wasn't that hard. Just have to be concious of it for a few weeks. I can't imagine writing that way now even though I wrote with that hook for 21 years.

Give it a shot and some good practice. Not sure how you write, but I used to smear pencil across paper somthing terrible. I can imagine it's not too far from how I used to write.

#14 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2015 - 20:50

I am right handed and used to write with a terrible overhand hook. I had a left handed 1st grade teacher and picked it up from her. When I started using fountain pens a few years ago, I dropped the hook. Wasn't that hard. Just have to be concious of it for a few weeks. I can't imagine writing that way now even though I wrote with that hook for 21 years.

Give it a shot and some good practice. Not sure how you write, but I used to smear pencil across paper somthing terrible. I can imagine it's not too far from how I used to write.

Hi bassmannate!

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the recommendation!

The thing is… I don't right with an overhand hook.

20150617_111215_zpszpb14unz.jpg

See?

Or do I?  :huh:

#15 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:56

Bernanke line is terribly bad.  I tried both "Blue" and "Q'ternity."  Amazingly fast to dry.  Feathered on everything I had.  Blue has no water resistance.  If you absolutely, positively must have 'immediate' drying, it's your ink.  If you want it to actually behave, well, look elsewhere.  You would likely be much happier, and much better served, with something other than the Bernanke line.  Just wait til it bleeds through the next sheet of paper.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#16 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:41

Bernanke line is terribly bad.  I tried both "Blue" and "Q'ternity."  Amazingly fast to dry.  Feathered on everything I had.  Blue has no water resistance.  If you absolutely, positively must have 'immediate' drying, it's your ink.  If you want it to actually behave, well, look elsewhere.  You would likely be much happier, and much better served, with something other than the Bernanke line.  Just wait til it bleeds through the next sheet of paper.

I'm the one seeking advice here.  :D Can you recommend me another quick drying ink? I'd like to try.

#17 eyesa

eyesa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 14:38

I love Noodler's inks for the various ink properties, especially for the waterproof/water resistantent variety.
Colors and choices are stellar too and you can always find the perfect ink for your perfect pen.

#18 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 15:29

I love the Blue's bright color and fast-dry properties, but there's a reason I call it Bernanke Bleed. ;)

#19 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 15:31

Noodler's brought a lot of zip and competition to the ink game, for which I'm grateful.

It might just be me, but I think Noodler's forced a lot of competition to step up its game, some of them after decades of issuing bilge water as ink.

#20 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:35

Noodler's brought a lot of zip and competition to the ink game, for which I'm grateful.

It might just be me, but I think Noodler's forced a lot of competition to step up its game, some of them after decades of issuing bilge water as ink.

I agree with you.  I love that Noodler's pushes the inky envelope.  That being said, Purple People Eater, Navajo Turquoise and Midway Blue will always be part of my ink collection.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, goulet pens, lamy palladium, smearing, quick drying, fast drying

Sponsored Content

|