Leaking Pilot Metropolitan Grip..

AgentVenom

Recently I discovered that there was a crack in the grip of my Pilot Metropolitan. I have dropped my Metro( on concrete no less), I'll freely admit that up front, but I did not think that I had done any damage. The cap was on, and it appeared to be no worse for wear. Other than a dent and some missing paint, it was fine. It continued to write normally.

But one day (maybe 2-3 weeks later) I was writing with it at work and got ink on my hands. I did notice there seemed to be a lot of nib creep, but since I was using Baystate Blue, I thought maybe the Metro and the ink just didn't get along . I switched to Heart of Darkness and it did the same thing.

Later, as I was wiping the creeping Heart of Darkness off the nib, I realized that it was coming from the seam of the grip. I should also point out that the nib and feed was very hard to remove the first time for cleaning and I had to resort to twisting the nib and feed to get it out. I didn't think I twisted too hard, but I don't want to rule anything out.

Based on this, does it seem like I broke it? or is this a known issue with the Metro? If I broke it, i can live with it. I just didn't want to get another Metro if it is a known issue.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

post-116959-0-63921000-1434244860_thumb.jpg

post-116959-0-59527500-1434244873_thumb.jpg

post-116959-0-26353000-1434244888_thumb.jpg

post-116959-0-80732300-1434244906_thumb.jpg

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AgentVenom

• dadoody

• ironwampa

• pitonyak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the crack goes all the way through, I would guess it has to be the culprit. I've used a number of these and given away many and it's the first I've heard of a section leak - under normal circumstances, i.e. no damage, these pens hold up rather well. I would just get another, as they are so cheap.

If the crack goes all the way through, I would guess it has to be the culprit. I've used a number of these and given away many and it's the first I've heard of a section leak - under normal circumstances, i.e. no damage, these pens hold up rather well. I would just get another, as they are so cheap.

I agree. I think I'll get a different nib size and body so I can switch between the two.

Yep, you broke it.

Haha. Agreed. Do you think it was the fall or the twisting?

Perhaps both? Did you drop it before or after you twisted the nib? Maybe one finished what the other started.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Perhaps both? Did you drop it before or after you twisted the nib? Maybe one finished what the other started.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that. Dang. I need to get a rubber grip. SMH.

One of the first things I bought from Goulet pens! It has indeed come in very handy.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Haha. Agreed. Do you think it was the fall or the twisting?

I dropped my 1920's Parker Duofold. The cap shattered beyond repair. I cried.

Haha ! I am glad that you have such a positive attitude, after dropping your fountain pen. .

As a former aviator, I an assure that no damage was sustained by the fall. Any damage was caused by the abrupt stop, at the end of the fall. :lol:

Get another Metropolitan. They are good pens. Keep the old one for spare parts. If you live the long, healthy life that I wish to you, you will drop your pen(s) again.

Live with strength. Write with joy.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I dropped my 1920's Parker Duofold. The cap shattered beyond repair. I cried.

Haha ! I am glad that you have such a positive attitude, after dropping your fountain pen. .

As a former aviator, I an assure that no damage was sustained by the fall. Any damage was caused by the abrupt stop, at the end of the fall. :lol:

Get another Metropolitan. They are good pens. Keep the old one for spare parts. If you live the long, healthy life that I wish to you, you will drop your pen(s) again.

Live with strength. Write with joy.

Thank you. I appreciate that. It's annoying but it was my fault.

I just ordered the black crocodile in medium along with a Goulet grip.

My bet is the twisting/nib removal...

I should have known better. The nib was really stuck. I bought a Metro for my girlfriend that I maintain for her and it wasn't that bad.

Why not just fix the section with some plastic cement? As an added bonus the section will also be less slippery afterwards.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

Why not just fix the section with some plastic cement? As an added bonus the section will also be less slippery afterwards.

I hadn't considered that. Do you know if anyone has tried it before?

You probably aren't going to find anyone who has done it on the pilot metropolitan in particular since I don't think people usually try to solvent weld modern pen parts. Basically it should be exactly the same as solvent welding a postwar vintage pen but with less to lose if you screw up.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

You probably aren't going to find anyone who has done it on the pilot metropolitan in particular since I don't think people usually try to solvent weld modern pen parts. Basically it should be exactly the same as solvent welding a postwar vintage pen but with less to lose if you screw up.

Thank you. I'll look into it!

• 2 years later...

UGGGH.

Same issue here. I'm sure it is because I twisted my nib and feed out last night to clean the pen thoroughly. Guess this is not the pen to be doing that.

Welp, it's a cheap-ish pen, but it's beautiful and writes well, so I'm going to attempt a repair myself. I have a glue/sealant called "Aquaseal" ( that I use on wetsuits and umbrellas and such, so it *should* work on this grip fine. I'll try it and report back.

So:

Good news:
Aquaseal works.

Bad News:
Aquaseal is toxic and will cause skin sensitivity and reactions if exposed to over a long period. I should have checked out the datasheet before hand.

So, I guess I'll toss the grip and have spare parts; I have a few more of these pens, and the next time this happens, I guess I should just use the handy dandy non-toxic and easy to work with Elmer's Glue All, or better yet, Elmer's Pro Bond.

Edited by dadoody

In my unending quest to be a cheapskate, I just had another bright idea: I'm sure the Aquaseal isn't all that toxic after it dries. Probably similar to Epoxy.

So I layered the grip in two coats of Elmer's Glue All to have a membrane of glue all there as a barrier.

So simple. So simple.

Two comments:

1. Save that NIB. I dropped mine and found out that you cannot buy just the NIB (grumble). So I have a brand new pen without a nib; well, I am trying to fix the nib....

2. An appropriate epoxy might fix it, but, something that can flow into the crack and then fill the crack might be better.

Edited by pitonyak