The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot/ Namiki Nib

nib pilot namiki capless vanishing point decimo nib width repair replace

5 replies to this topic

#1 meilinpo

meilinpo

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 00:57

I own a beautiful Pilot/ Namiki "Capless" Vanishing Point pen- it's a Decimo, which is slightly slimmer and lighter than the regular VP pens, but takes the same nib- and I LOVE it.

I have heard that the nibs for these pens are not well standardized. A few weeks after getting my pen, I broke the nib and had to replace it (rather a costly accident, but nevertheless). The nib size of my pen was, and is, a Fine; but I notice the new nib does not write quite as fine a 'Fine' line as the previous, original nib did.

I liked the thinner line (didn't want to go to "Extra Fine", because I thought an EF nib might be too delicate- requires a light hand,)

Is there a way I can have the nib adjusted? Would it cost as much, or nearly, as buying a whole new nib again?

Any thoughts?

thanks!

- M

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:39

from where in the world you are this may have to go through a nib-meister for a miniscule grind down else you may have to change the ink

#3 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 19:25

I have a Vanishing Point, too. The nib is awfully wet and gets long hick-ups every once in a while. As I wrote in another thread, the Pilots are not very reliable. 

#4 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 00:34

TMK- Pilots not very reliable?  Are you basing your opinion on a sample of one? Because, I must tell you that you are just plain wrong.

#5 Scribble Monboddo

Scribble Monboddo

Not-so-serious nibbage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:31

I have a lot of Pilots, and many of their nibs can be wonderful - but yes, they do have pronounced quality control issues, and sometimes you just get a dud.  If you have paid a lot, it's wise to contact your dealer, but Pilot may not offer much more than a long return trip to the factory.  A 'nibmeister' may be worth considering as an alternative.

#6 meilinpo

meilinpo

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 21:53

Don't get me wrong; the nib works beautifully. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it *except* that it writes much more like a Medium, when it's supposed to be a Fine.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, pilot, namiki, capless, vanishing point, decimo, nib width, repair, replace

Sponsored Content

|