So Many Inks On My Desk

Charles Skinner

This is a problem I am glad to have. First, let me explain that for many years, I was a black ink man only, always either Pelikan or Montblanc. When a bottle was running low, I just ordered a replacement, same black ink. So, being a little "tight" with my money, I felt that I was not wasting money since I USED JUST ABOUT EVERY DROP OF THE INK IN EACH BOTTLE.

Now, since I am "into different inks," I suddenly discovered that I have about ten or so bottles of ink on my desk right now, all open and being used from time to time, not counting small sample bottles like Goulet sends out.

So, if I NEVER buy another bottle of ink, I likely will not use all of the ink I already have! And I really do a lot of writing.

I guess there comes a time in every hobby when a person "goes over the top," ----- and from what I have read, many of you have many, many more bottles of ink on your desk right now than I have, and that you use most of them.

As I wrote, this is a problem I am glad that I have. I enjoy different inks now. Has there ever been a movement to sell inks in a smaller bottle, since it is unlikely that most of us will ever use ALL of the ink in Noodler's 3 oz bottles, or ALL the ink in Diamine's 80ml bottles, ----- since we all seem to have more than a few of these bottles on our desks. I know I have seen a few brands with smaller bottles. I, for one, would like to buy smaller bottles and then larger ones if I really liked the ink. The same thing can be done with small sample bottle from Goulet and other sellers too, I guess, but those sample bottles are really small.

This is a problem, as I wrote, that I am glad that I have, but being a "child of the 40's and 50's I have fight always to be thrifty, and not waste my money.

Just "thinking out loud," and wondering. Excuse typing mistakes, if any.

C. S.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cybaea

• Lubee

• tinkerteacher

• LeonW

To the best of my knowledge Diamine offers small bottles (30ml) which Gouletpens has started selling recently. It is too bad that more ink makers don't make smaller ones.

Having said that, I tend to trade samples of inks from my larger bottles with friends, so it doesn't go to waste. I do understand what you mean though. It is probably a niche screaming to be filled.... *looks at ink manufacturers*. This is your KitKat 'singles' moment guys....might want to jump on that.

Edited by Pira

JustWrite (Australia) will soon be selling the Blackstone range in a wide variety of sizes, starting with an innovative 5ml concentrate syringe (makes up to 60ml), and 15ml, 30ml & 60 ml in both translucent & amber HDPE bottles.

Then a huge 1L plastic jerry can, 1L bottle, 500ml bottle, and a 250ml twin chamber bottle (fills directly from chamber).

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

For the sake of abbreviation an 80ml bottle is 80 refills. Suppose that 1ml of ink in a medium nib pen may go for about 20 pages of A4. Imagine writing 20 pages of A4 per week. That bottle will last 80 weeks, or just over a year and a half. Now suppose you have 10 such bottles. That equals about 15 years of writing. Is that a lifetime? If you write a lot - for a given definition of 'a lot' - then you will get through that 80ml quite easily. If you use ink for drawing then more quickly again. It really comes down to how much you use your pens.

There is never too much ink!

J Herbin sell 10ml bottles.

Iroshizuku can be found in 15ml bottles.

Diamond sell 30 ml bottles and will give you a free 5ml sample of a color of your choice if you buy direct from their website and spend £10 out more. The first time I bought direct from then I couldn't decide between two colours -- they sent me them both.

Edited by the_gasman

Buy the big bottles. Buy some sample vials. Then share samples with other ink addicts on FPN. Make new friends, try new colours. Everybody wins :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

To the OP, do look at Montblanc Limited Edition Inks in 30ml bottles, just enough to feed the need to buy multiples.

Charles, I'm with Cybaea, I buy colors that I love, and I share a huge amount of ink. I have also had a huge amount of ink shared with me. Each fill brings a smile and makes my world a better place. It is not wasteful to share your pleasure with others, and it is not wasteful to enjoy your treasures.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm a big fan of Diamine 30ml bottles, they provide the opportunity to trial many colours inexpensively.

I have 6 on my desk currently - 3 I love Ancient Copper, Sapphire Blue and Aqua Lagoon and 3 that failed to live up to expectations - Graphite, Eclipse and Peach Haze (or maybe I just have them in the wrong pens!).

I am looking for a rich and vibrant purple Herbin's de Cassis isn't cutting the mustard, so any suggestions greatly received.

I'm a big fan of Diamine 30ml bottles, they provide the opportunity to trial many colours inexpensively.

I am obviously a big fan of the bottles as well; so much so that I purchased all of them: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/249919-pick-a-colour/ (and put them to good use). But they are a little small for some pens (such as my beloved M1000 birds) so be prepared to be creative in using them. A steady hand can sometimes pour them directly into the barrel of a piston filler; otherwise I quite like my Visconti Travelling Inkwell for this.

Edited by cybaea

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I am obviously a big fan of the bottles as well; so much so that I purchased all of them: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/249919-pick-a-colour/ (and put them to good use). But they are a little small for some pens (such as my beloved M1000 birds) so be prepared to be creative in using them. A steady hand can sometimes pour them directly into the barrel of a piston filler; otherwise I quite like my Visconti Travelling Inkwell for this.

Wow is all I can say! I thought I was a bit of an ink junky but thats the business. Your samples have sorted my purple quandary its going to be Majestic Purple but they have also highlighted I need Apple Glory

I have 28 bottles of ink and I thought that I need terapy....now

I feel better..

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Am... I having around 65 bottles of ink... with two unopened 80ml of Diamine Imperial Purple (just in case), but even if I'm using a "lots" of inks for my standards I can be safe till the next 30-40 years.... Not even have space in my desk for them.

JustWrite (Australia) will soon be selling the Blackstone range in a wide variety of sizes, starting with an innovative 5ml concentrate syringe (makes up to 60ml), and 15ml, 30ml & 60 ml in both translucent & amber HDPE bottles.

Then a huge 1L plastic jerry can, 1L bottle, 500ml bottle, and a 250ml twin chamber bottle (fills directly from chamber).

An ink concentrate? What an innovative idea. Wish they would bring back those ready-mix ink powder packs from my 70's youth.

As to the OP, only 10 inks? For shame.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

I am looking for a rich and vibrant purple Herbin's de Cassis isn't cutting the mustard, so any suggestions greatly received.

Bung-Box L'Amant

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/292489-sailor-bung-box-lamant/

... if you can get your hands on a bottle of L'Amant that is. Bung Box seems to have a waiting list 6 months long for Sailor's SE inks at the moment.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens