The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Snorkel 14K Triumph Nib Not Two-Toned?

snorkel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ELSpartan44

ELSpartan44

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2015 - 18:23

Hello, this is my first post, but I have been watching this forum for a while now.

A little over a month ago I purchased my first Sheaffer Snorkel. I went for the two-toned Triumph nib because I thought it looked awesome. I believe it is a valiant, though, and since I like shiny things, I decided I wanted to get a Sentinel as well for the stainless cap. It just arrived, and everything about it is great (it even has the gold tube), but the nib just looks wrong. It is stamped 14K, but the entire thing looks gold... No platinum mask like my Valiant.

Is this actually a thing, or did I buy a messed up pen? Is the platinum plated and maybe wore off? The rest of the pen is in excellent condition, though. I am considering returning it (haven't inked it, just in case), but was hoping for feedback first.

I had issues getting the attachments to work because of the file size limit, so here's a link to a gallery with a few pictures of the pens:

http://m.imgur.com/T...BVdge71,W794pfE

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,966 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2015 - 19:18

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

It's from Sheaffer so little surprises me.  My first guess would be just that someone buffed the plating off but a buck naked nib is also a possibility.  Either way I bet it is a great writer.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 ELSpartan44

ELSpartan44

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2015 - 23:15

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

It's from Sheaffer so little surprises me.  My first guess would be just that someone buffed the plating off but a buck naked nib is also a possibility.  Either way I bet it is a great writer.

Thank you. I think you are right, after closer inspection, there is still a bit of the platinum towards the top of the nib. Kinda disappointing,though, since it was pretty tough to find a restored black Sentinel snorkel with a F5 nib (and a gold tube, no less). But alas, you can't have everything you want. I suppose I could just swap caps and pretend the Valiant is a Sentinel. ;)

#4 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:38

I have one that is almost like that. The platinum mask can wear off. Mine has about half left. Doesn't bother me. The one you got looks like a good one. Enjoy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#5 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2015 - 00:43

Easy enough to replace the nib with something you like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel

Sponsored Content

|