Got 2 New Jinhaos

deleted

They arrived yesterday, the X750 and the 159. I think they both have the same nibs, but the size is the big difference. Literally! I love the size of the 159, it feels substantial, but the grip on the X750 makes this better suited to long periods of writing as it being summer, the weather is slightly warmer and my hands can get a little sweaty. This can be a little issue as it makes the 159 a bit more awkward to hold due to the metal section versus the X750's rubber section. I've already put the full review up on my blog, which can be found in the signature below and the 159 will be up in the next few days, please have a look and comment here on your experiences with the 159 and X750 :) I also have the X450 and a Baoer 79 on the way

Check out https://penreviewingbrit.wordpress.com for more fountain pen related content on my blog!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deleted

• Frank C

• Ian the Jock

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the Chinese nibs have "18KGP" on them. That stands for 18 carat gold plating. Some of the nibs indeed have some gold plating, some don't. But the nibs are stainless steel.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

A lot of the Chinese nibs have "18KGP" on them. That stands for 18 carat gold plating. Some of the nibs indeed have some gold plating, some don't. But the nibs are stainless steel.

For the prices they're sold at, I'd be most amazed if they are actually gold plated!

Check out https://penreviewingbrit.wordpress.com for more fountain pen related content on my blog!

I don't have a 159, but I do have an x750.

Whether the nib is gold plated or not, it writes beautifully.

Both the 159 and the x750 have the same size of nib and I have been toying with the idea of getting a 159, but the overall look of it has been putting me off.

Congrats on your new pens.

ENJOY

Ian

I've got one 159 and a few x750s (not to mention maybe 4 x450s), and I've gotta say I really enjoy the more substantial feel of the 159.

Re gold plating, having been through this discussion once before I'm prepared to accept that the x450 nibs (which are two-tone) *may* have some gold plating (the amount of gold involved is apparently miniscule, and the additional expense comparatively ) - but the x750s most certainly don't. It's the same nib as for the x450, minus the gold (coloured) plating - they obviously just couldn't be bothered making a separate imprint without the 18KGP inscription.

I don't have a 159, but I do have an x750.

Whether the nib is gold plated or not, it writes beautifully.

Both the 159 and the x750 have the same size of nib and I have been toying with the idea of getting a 159, but the overall look of it has been putting me off.

Congrats on your new pens.

ENJOY

Ian

I'm in agreement on the nib, absolutely love it! Replaced my Parker IM as the one I keep on me at all times now. The 159 is very nice in person, and large. From other photos I've seen I believe it's as big, if not bigger than the Montblanc 149. The nibs are exactly the same as far as I can tell, so if you're satisfied with the nib of the X750 then you should be alright with the 159 too. Personally, I love the look of it, but my only gripe about it is the metal section. It's fine to start off but if you're writing with it for a while, and your hands get a bit sweaty, it can become a bit slippery. This is why I prefer the X750 for longer periods of writing. And I tested them both extensively yesterday whilst making a large number of exam notes. I doubt you'll be disappointed with a 159 should you decide to get one :)

All the best

Pen Reviewing Brit

For the prices they're sold at, I'd be most amazed if they are actually gold plated!

Here's one:

http://www.gouletpens.com/jin-x450-redgold/p/JIN-X450-RedGold

The gold is electro plated. It is a very thin layer. Goldplating probably adds only a few cents to the cost of the nib.

I can't think of another metal that would look that way and be able to function with ink.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I've got one 159 and a few x750s (not to mention maybe 4 x450s), and I've gotta say I really enjoy the more substantial feel of the 159.

Re gold plating, having been through this discussion once before I'm prepared to accept that the x450 nibs (which are two-tone) *may* have some gold plating (the amount of gold involved is apparently miniscule, and the additional expense comparatively ) - but the x750s most certainly don't. It's the same nib as for the x450, minus the gold (coloured) plating - they obviously just couldn't be bothered making a separate imprint without the 18KGP inscription.

As I just said, the only problem I find is the metal section when your hands are a bit sweaty. But I agree, the weight of it is fantastic and it's rather imposing too! I have a Waterman Expert which I would say is big. And the 159 just simply dwarfs it! Both are fantastic pens, I'm in total agreement with you there. Whether or not they're gold plated doesn't make a difference to me as they both write excellently

Here's one:

http://www.gouletpens.com/jin-x450-redgold/p/JIN-X450-RedGold

The gold is electro plated. It is a very thin layer. Goldplating probably adds only a few cents to the cost of the nib.

I can't think of another metal that would look that way and be able to function with ink.

If the nib writes as well as my 159 and X750, I'll be very satisfied

If the nib writes as well as my 159 and X750, I'll be very satisfied

I'm afraid that it would write like my 159s. I got a refund for them.

I have a 159 - which I got for signatures. Big hefty pen that does the job really well 8)

It wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be - this opens a whole new world of pens I can get for myself. Previously I was worried that the M1000 would end up too heavy - now I can save up for one! My wallet hates me already.

Enjoy your new pens.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Weren't a fan I take it?

One wrote well out of the box. The other one skipped. The first pen refused to write after an overnight with the nib up. After a little priming, it "vomited ink "like English schoolboys on a holiday in Spain". (I got that line from another FPN post.)

I disassembled them and put them in the ultrasound cleaner to remove any residual oils. After that, they continued to skip and have start-up issues. I put a new Goulet Pens nib in each. They continued to skip. I contacted the Goulets and they took them back for a full refund.

I have a 159 - which I got for signatures. Big hefty pen that does the job really well 8)

It wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be - this opens a whole new world of pens I can get for myself. Previously I was worried that the M1000 would end up too heavy - now I can save up for one! My wallet hates me already.

Enjoy your new pens.

~Epic

I'm thinking of an M200, due to the size of my wallet! However, I've gathered that Pelikans have a habit of multiplying so no doubt when I have money and one Pelikan, I'll end up with no money and several Pelikans

I'm thinking of an M200, due to the size of my wallet! However, I've gathered that Pelikans have a habit of multiplying so no doubt when I have money and one Pelikan, I'll end up with no money and several Pelikans

I agree with you. My birds have multiplied too much :lol:

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I'm in agreement on the nib, absolutely love it! Replaced my Parker IM as the one I keep on me at all times now. The 159 is very nice in person, and large. From other photos I've seen I believe it's as big, if not bigger than the Montblanc 149. The nibs are exactly the same as far as I can tell, so if you're satisfied with the nib of the X750 then you should be alright with the 159 too. Personally, I love the look of it, but my only gripe about it is the metal section. It's fine to start off but if you're writing with it for a while, and your hands get a bit sweaty, it can become a bit slippery. This is why I prefer the X750 for longer periods of writing. And I tested them both extensively yesterday whilst making a large number of exam notes. I doubt you'll be disappointed with a 159 should you decide to get one :)

All the best

Pen Reviewing Brit

I will no doubt end up getting one at some point.

I have had a spare Bock broad #5 nib for a while, and I have actually bought a few pens which I intended to swap the nib into (x450s, 1200, x750) but they all write so beautifully as they are I'm loathe to change them.

Maybe a 159 would be the ideal recipient for a big ol' juicy broad nib......only one way to find out.. :thumbup:

Ian

I will no doubt end up getting one at some point.

I have had a spare Bock broad #5 nib for a while, and I have actually bought a few pens which I intended to swap the nib into (x450s, 1200, x750) but they all write so beautifully as they are I'm loathe to change them.

Maybe a 159 would be the ideal recipient for a big ol' juicy broad nib......only one way to find out.. :thumbup:

Ian

The 159 takes a #6 nib.

The 159 takes a #6 nib.

Sorry, yes I know. :blush: my mistake.

The place that I buy them from has them listed as Bock #5 nibs, but they are a direct replacement for the big Jinhao #6 nibs.

Same with the Jinhao #5 nibs....they are listed as Bock #4 nibs but again are a direct replacement.

I got my 5s and 6s all muxed ip.

Ian