Montblanc Writers Edition: Leo Tolstoy 2015

twism94

It would be refreshing indeed to encounter a recent MB "edition" of whatever sort that is simple in design, classic in execution and absent of superfluous embellishment. I qualified my statement because some of the first WE pens (e.g., Hemingway, Christie) succeeded in that regard, mostly by embodying the form of the originals upon which they were based. This pen "Tolstoy" is both overwrought and is screaming for attention...not to mention overpriced. To me, it resembles a garish lipstick applicator from a company like Versace.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandonA

• jsolares

• meiers

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quite like this one. It might have to go on my list.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

To me, it resembles a garish lipstick applicator from a company like Versace.

Buy many Versace lipstick applicators? :)

Also I have never understood how people can say a Montblanc WE is overpriced. No one can argue that a Montblanc is poorly made fountain pen. You have to pay designer who designs the pen, then there is royalties to use this persons name and signature. Do not forget the cost of exclusivity of owning a limited pen. Cost of materials. Cost of labor to manufacture. Cost of all the Boutiques around the world. Cost of insurance and lawyers. Cost of Montblanc Ambassadors (customer service). Cost of protecting the Brand (counterfeits) Etc. Etc. Etc.

I have no problem with the price of Montblanc, if it was cheaper more people would have them and that can devalue the brand, It would could its allure.

Of course just my Opinion.

I have no problem with the price of Montblanc, if it was cheaper more people would have them and that can devalue the brand, It would could its allure.

I have no problem with the price they charge everyone else... but the price they charge me should "just" be lower "because".

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

?...It would could its allure.

Yep, I cannot type! That should be "could lose its allure"

It would be refreshing indeed to encounter a recent MB "edition" of whatever sort that is simple in design, classic in execution and absent of superfluous embellishment. I qualified my statement because some of the first WE pens (e.g., Hemingway, Christie) succeeded in that regard, mostly by embodying the form of the originals upon which they were based. This pen "Tolstoy" is both overwrought and is screaming for attention...not to mention overpriced. To me, it resembles a garish lipstick applicator from a company like Versace.

They shot that bolt over a decade ago on a pen absent of Super-Embell...

Edited by torstar

Buy many Versace lipstick applicators? :)

Also I have never understood how people can say a Montblanc WE is overpriced. No one can argue that a Montblanc is poorly made fountain pen. You have to pay designer who designs the pen, then there is royalties to use this persons name and signature. Do not forget the cost of exclusivity of owning a limited pen. Cost of materials. Cost of labor to manufacture. Cost of all the Boutiques around the world. Cost of insurance and lawyers. Cost of Montblanc Ambassadors (customer service). Cost of protecting the Brand (counterfeits) Etc. Etc. Etc.

Of course just my Opinion.

It's a wee bit late for Tolstoy and many others to be collecting "royalties" for the use of their names and signatures.

I can't imagine many product liability suits over dysfunctional fountain pens, at least enough to justify "insurance and lawyers". As for the other costs, I think they are subsumed under the "exclusivity" point you mentioned.

As for the lipstick applicators, I was planning on another metaphor but I was afraid of transgressing any tender sensibilities.

Finally, it's not for nothing that the 149 series (and smaller versions) have endured over many decades: they sell because they're simple and clean. Maybe the high value of some early WE pens relates in some way to that notion.

It's a wee bit late for Tolstoy and many others to be collecting "royalties" for the use of their names and signatures.

I can't imagine many product liability suits over dysfunctional fountain pens, at least enough to justify "insurance and lawyers". As for the other costs, I think they are subsumed under the "exclusivity" point you mentioned.

As for the lipstick applicators, I was planning on another metaphor but I was afraid of transgressing any tender sensibilities.

Finally, it's not for nothing that the 149 series (and smaller versions) have endured over many decades: they sell because they're simple and clean. Maybe the high value of some early WE pens relates in some way to that notion.

Yes, good points, because I really have no idea at alI and was just ad-libing it. If that is even the correct use of the word.

It was all in jest.

Ah.....a person of my own childish humour !! :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Wow this looks amazing. I love it! One of the nicest writers' editions in a while. I think I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on this one!

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

The design doesn't seem particularly cohesive. I like the earlier WEs better. The more I see these new ones the more I think about buying an Agatha Christie...once I get bored of the Japanese and Italian pens I could see my attention turning to WE pens.

Less production volume confirms my suspicions that the demand for luxury writing instruments is an ever shrinking market.

Personally I don't like the design of this WE.

The model featured in the picture looks like the 1868. The regular WE most likely will be made out of resin.

Edited by pen jubky

Less production volume confirms my suspicions that the demand for luxury writing instruments is an ever shrinking market.

Personally I don't like the design of this WE.

The model featured in the picture looks like the 1868. The regular WE most likely will be made out of resin.

HEY, that's Precious Resin!

I think this is a good point, but it could be that Montblanc is just getting a smaller share of the market. Other brands are putting out a lot of LEs these days. Though even MB is fragmenting their LE sales with the JFK, 1912, 90th Anniversary, etc, so they might be seeing an overall increase.

MB could also be limiting the production to make the inventory move faster. If there are only 9,000 FPs, then they might not sit in boutiques for years. The greater the chance of a sell out, the faster people will move to get them.

Edited by Z-Tab

Why must the section be so short? What is the deal with the freaking step-up?

I'll buy it- my OCD would go into dysregulated overdrive if I tried to skip the annual shell-out for the Montblanc Writers Edition. There are elements that I love about this pen-

The 242 / 244 / 246 style placement of the white snow cap / bird splat is really awesome.

The blue resin on the butt end is pretty glorious- I wish the pen was made entirely of this. Agree that the design elements don't feel cohesive, and I think the multi-colored segments are to blame. If the cap and butt were of the same resin, the pen would "flow" better in its presentation.

I do love the fountain pen (and wristwatch) trend of using slate gray colors, of late. The IWC slate gray dialed watches look absolutely stunning in a rose gold, or white gold case. The OMAS London Smoke is just awesome. The newest Pelikan M805 Stresemann series done in slate gray, is also quite amazing. I'd be all over a M1005 in that series, should they release one. Of course, I do love the De Balzac Writers Edition from Montblanc (suspiciously similar to Pelikan's Stresemann series).

I quite like the Tolstoy, and am excited to get one. After visiting the Montblanc Boutique and handling the JFK last week, I am looking forward to the WE instead. I was disappointed with the JFK, as I was walking in expecting to pull the trigger on one. That's a topic for another post, I suppose.

I hope everyone who wants one of the Tolstoy is able to get one...

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The pen has been announced in the MB official website, but the picture seems not able to show the characteristic of body of this WE. Hopefully below photo can give some ideas on how it looks :)

http://www.sampanel.com/photos/i-C3GCKvg/0/XL/i-C3GCKvg-XL.jpg

Would you happen to have any other pictures of the actual pen?

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png