Suggestions For Purchase Of Fountain Pens Bangalore

gautamk

Hello, I am new here and a big fountain pen enthusiast and a writer. I am thrilled to hear there is an entire forum dedicated for users and that there is a growing market (I was secretly wondering whether i am too old fashioned to be using one and that i would be ridiculed for flaunting one).

I have a request to make here, i need to buy some decent fountain pens, not too expensive or collections but not too cheap either. I checked out local stationers and all they have is "Flair Inky" which I didn't like and they did give me a look which i can term downright dismissive as if questioning me in their minds, dude, in which age do you live?!!!

I need your help on where I can buy Camlin, Hero, Wing Sung and stuff like that in Bangalore? Do they even manufacture them now?

Avenue road in Bangalore i know is the stationery hub, but any other place? I live in South Bangalore, driving in the traffic is crazy as you know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and happy writing :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gautamk

• flummoxed

• dinuraj

• Srinivas Prasad

Hello, I am new here and a big fountain pen enthusiast and a writer. I am thrilled to hear there is an entire forum dedicated for users and that there is a growing market (I was secretly wondering whether i am too old fashioned to be using one and that i would be ridiculed for flaunting one).

I have a request to make here, i need to buy some decent fountain pens, not too expensive or collections but not too cheap either. I checked out local stationers and all they have is "Flair Inky" which I didn't like and they did give me a look which i can term downright dismissive as if questioning me in their minds, dude, in which age do you live?!!!

I need your help on where I can buy Camlin, Hero, Wing Sung and stuff like that in Bangalore? Do they even manufacture them now?

Avenue road in Bangalore i know is the stationery hub, but any other place? I live in South Bangalore, driving in the traffic is crazy as you know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and happy writing :)

Check out asapens.in. They sell their own brand of ebonite pens and good quality indian FPs. A personal recommendation: Ask them for Chelpark Sona. It is a very good piston filler for Rs 250/-

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Fellow member Mesu lives in Bangalore. I've bought multiple pens from her. You could send a PM to contact her... She got me my Camlin SD, among many many oter pens...

Welcome to the slippery road of writing with fountain pens...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

As you've listed Hero, Wing Sung and South Bangalore1, I would suggest going over to the two corner stores inside the Jayanagar 4th Block Flower/Vegetable Market behind Janata Bazaar. Last time I was there, both of them had a lot of the Jinhao, Baoer, Hero ensemble. I'm not sure if they had any ofthe Camlin ones apart from the ones branded with cartoons on them.

William Penn (I think the store is in Forum Mall in Koramangala) is another store to check on in case you want to ogle at a few other brands or decide to splurge a bit.

In case you want a wider range and selection, a trip to Avenue Road is always good as you can get Camlin, Wality/Airmail along with the Chinese brands.

However, if you'd like handmade pens or the harder to find ones, please do contact FPN member mesu. Mesu is very helpful and will probably be able to help you out better.

Welcome to FPN!

---------------

1: Are you new to Bangalore? The South/North Bangalore nomenclature seems to have creeped into the narrative pretty recently. It started out as a mild amusement, but now has become a major source of irritation for me.

Thank you for your detailed comment Flummoxed. I am not new to Bangalore but a resident by birth, the problem is the commute to go to Avenue road is so much that it is nothing short of an adventure.

Why i specifically mentioned South is that perhaps someone who is a resident of the city could understand my predicament of sourcing these pens nearby. I know some stationers near Basavanagudi who have fountain pens, but not reliable. I am sorry if i rubbed in to your sentiments inadvertently, i understand it. ;)

Cheers :D

I understand a fellow Bangalorean's traffic woes :-)

There are some really helpful folk here on FPN who can help you online if you can't find offline help. Hope you enjoy the hobby now!

Hi Gautam,

Try Sapna Book Store in Koramangala and in Jayanagar 4th Block. They stock Baoer, Jinhao, Pierre Cardin, Camlin, Staedtler, Reynolds, Flair & Luxor fountain pens.

On your way back from 4th block, refresh yourself with some fresh mango juice at Cool Joint :)

Bangalore traffic is a pain, so you could also take the easy way and order from the comfort of your home via http://asapens.in/eshop/

Their complete catalog is listed at: http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=product/allproducts

Do not be deterred by the "Out of Stock" label on the site. Contact Mr. Subramaniam, who runs ASA pens, on Whatsapp or via email about the availability and nib choices, he will surely help you out.

HTH

Regards,

Rakshit

Hi Rakshit, thanks for your detailed comment. I will definitely try Sapna Book house. Thanks for the juice suggestion :) I will also try ASA pens. Just for this thread's sake, if anyone wants to check out Avenue road, Meenakshi Pen House Or Centre whatever it's called has a very good collection of pens. If you are trying your luck to wade through traffic and the ocean of people that is. I purchased some the other day and i was happy with what he has.

Hi Gautam,

Try Sapna Book Store in Koramangala and in Jayanagar 4th Block. They stock Baoer, Jinhao, Pierre Cardin, Camlin, Staedtler, Reynolds, Flair & Luxor fountain pens.

On your way back from 4th block, refresh yourself with some fresh mango juice at Cool Joint :)

Bangalore traffic is a pain, so you could also take the easy way and order from the comfort of your home via http://asapens.in/eshop/

Their complete catalog is listed at: http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=product/allproducts

Do not be deterred by the "Out of Stock" label on the site. Contact Mr. Subramaniam, who runs ASA pens, on Whatsapp or via email about the availability and nib choices, he will surely help you out.

HTH

Regards,

Rakshit

+1 to whatever rakshit, my brother said above.

Also if you want Jinhao or hero pens they are available at ASA Pens.... you name a pen it can be arranged at very reasonable rates by Subramaniam sir of ASA Pens...

Also if you are looking for Wing Sung i would suggest you to buy Wing Sung 590 on ebay.... LINK

Its a vintage pen with massive ink capacity and writes amazing....

Also just want to let you know that if you want best indian fountain pens... look no further ... go fo ASA...

they stock everything....even inks...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gautam,

HTH

Regards,

Rakshit

Just an update, tried Sapna 4th block absolutely no luck, just got Baoer. They say that they dont get Pelikan anymore and Staedtler is ruled out. :( They have nothing except Lamy and same "stereotyped" (I say that because they don't innovate on designs, all look the same) Indian Parker.

Bangalore is a wash out as far as FPs are concerned. Must be all those computer guys...

A lifelong FP user...

• 2 weeks later...

Bangalore is a wash out as far as FPs are concerned. Must be all those computer guys...

Oh you must see the look of people when you brandish your fountain pen, as though the person holding it comes from somewhere else. Especially in Bangalore i feel that people have almost forgotten using them except for FP enthusiasts who still want them. Thanks to the keyboard. I'm a worried man.. :(.. hope Satya Nadella's prediction of pen going extinct doesn't happen in my lifetime.

Couple of suggestions:

- Chinese brands are easily available on eBay India site. Just search for fountain pens. Some also available on flipkart, Amazon but I personally found greater variety on eBay

- ASA is a great resource for several Indian brands including their own pens. Really good quality and moderately priced

- The best way to buy several of the other Indian brands reviewed here is get their email/phone number here or on Google or even facebook and then directly reach out. They all respond fairly promptly and some even share pictures on whatsapp to choose and finalize. Payments through online bank transfer.

I have used all three above routes as I have a similar issue; I stay in Mumbai suburbs and not too enthusiastic to visit pen stores in South Mumbai.

Btw camlin does respond promptly to email queries. I got their email id from their website.

Hope this helps

The Parker 45 is an excellent "universal" fountain pen. I have several. I used a Parker 45 through four years of college. Most of the medical students from India (Adventist hospitals) were armed with Parker 45's, in the 1970's .

Vintage-pens is an Ebay seller located in India. I have had good results getting Parker 45 fountain pens from this seller.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Couple of suggestions:

- Chinese brands are easily available on eBay India site. Just search for fountain pens. Some also available on flipkart, Amazon but I personally found greater variety on eBay

- ASA is a great resource for several Indian brands including their own pens. Really good quality and moderately priced

- The best way to buy several of the other Indian brands reviewed here is get their email/phone number here or on Google or even facebook and then directly reach out. They all respond fairly promptly and some even share pictures on whatsapp to choose and finalize. Payments through online bank transfer.

I have used all three above routes as I have a similar issue; I stay in Mumbai suburbs and not too enthusiastic to visit pen stores in South Mumbai.

Btw camlin does respond promptly to email queries. I got their email id from their website.

Hope this helps

Hey thanks, will try them out.

The Parker 45 is an excellent "universal" fountain pen. I have several. I used a Parker 45 through four years of college. Most of the medical students from India (Adventist hospitals) were armed with Parker 45's, in the 1970's .

Vintage-pens is an Ebay seller located in India. I have had good results getting Parker 45 fountain pens from this seller.

Thanks, will try Ebay :)

• 2 years later...

I am in a similar situation now, looking for pen stores in Bangalore (don't mind the commute as long as the selection is good). Any more recommendations for stores?

• 4 years later...

OK, I hope I've not been conned or made a fool of myself.

I went to RV Nadam and Co today to purchase hero pens.

I bought hero model 329. And it was 895 rupees.

Amazon has the same pens, 3 for 499.

Was I cheated?