Matthieu Faivet's Limited Edition, The Original Ubik 01/20

fountainpagan

Matthieu Faivet is a talented french craftsman, always aiming to higher achievements, and getting better and better at his craft. He is Based in Alsace, land of mountains.

http://www.faivet.net/

Patrick C. is a french nibmaster living in sunny south-ouest of France.

Patrick designed it, Matthieu crafted it.

Only 20 The Original Ubik Limited Edition were made

The Ubik comes in a burned pinewood box, with a 30ml ink bottle of an beautiful exclusive anthracite grey, created by l'Artisan Pastelier (Califolio inks), for this LImited Edition.

The contrast between the box and the Ubik is striking:

- one represents sturdiness, strengh, robstness, the other utterly sober elegance. However, these contrasts are, in fact, the caracteristics of the Ubik altogether.

The Ubik is "dressed" in an elegant black material, and Matthieu keeps the secret it, which increases the mistery attached to this pen.

The roll stopper is a watch winder, coordonated with the 18K gold Bock XF nib (you can chose between Gold, Steel and Titanium nibs - all Bock).

As the eponymous book, the Ubik creates surprise, amazement, wondering.

The Ubik is an enigma: it looks like wood, it sounds like wood while beeing uncaped, but... no, it is not wood.

The touching of this pen is a ravishing one, and our fingers remember it even once we have put the Ubik to rest: a powedered touch, amazingly soft, undetectable, and above suspicion, when you look at it.

Technical details:

Length - when closed - 13,20cm

Length - when opened, nib included - 12, 40cm

Cap's length - 6 cm

Nib's length - 2, 30 cm

Diameter - 1,4 cm

Section diameter - 1,1 cm

Uncaping - 5 turns

Meet the 01/20 of the Original Ubik - Limited Edition, by Matthieu Faivet.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/661/NpLZyp.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/901/o9THS4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/905/VN7uoH.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/910/Dr2BEQ.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/1LwH6z.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/kprmbq.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/901/mP154M.jpg
The Ubik's crash test video Matthieu has done with no special effects, or tricks. Here is the proof of how much the Ubik - The Original Limited Edition can take. :yikes: :lol:

DISCLAIMER - I HAVE NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST, I AM ONLY A HAPPY CLIENT. THANK YOU

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• Cryptos

• da vinci

• GatzBcn

Well I found it quite fascinating, but also quite disappointing in a way. Why? Well, I couldn't find a price on his website. Going by the listing of his other pens though I suspect that the Ubik is not intended for people like me.

Well - personally I dislike the design but the crash test makes an impression. On the other hand your review sounds more like a conglomerate of slogans praising pen. That's good that you enjoy it, I like Mathieu Faivet designs. However personally I would appreciate more down to earth review that would actually tell more about the pen and your feelings toward it than few slogans about higher achievements and striking contrast :)

I would be interested in knowing few things both technical and subjective, like: price, availability, size (length, diameter), how much ink does it hold, do you enjoy using it during long writing sessions, is the section profiled to suit smaller hands etc.

To make things clear - I'm huge fan of custom pens and undoubtedly Matthieu Faivet is a skilled artisan, I would just like to read review and not an advert :)

Best,

Lukasz

So, to you, Lukasc, my impressions are slogans. What can I tell you? You ask me for my impressions, which I have given on my review, but to you, my impressions, feelings about this pen, are slogans.

I like to describe my emotions, when I talk about a pen, I am no engineer, see? Moreover, I think if you don't say all on a review, that may be a good conversation starter, people may ask about what they want to know, and that wasn't written. Apparently I was mistaken. See, obviously I am not that good on marketing, despite the slogan talk. :)

The Ubik is perfectly confortable to use, and suitable for small hands.

Cardboard_tube, I do not give prices, because I am not a seller (despite what Lukasc may say, and others may think), and because I believe the price depends on the nib you choose, material wise. I let price discussions to be made between the maker and those interested.

My mistake, I have forgotten to give the dimensions - I have edited my initial message, and added them.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

Cardboard_tube, I do not give prices, because I am not a seller (despite what Lukasc may say, and others may think), and because I believe the price depends on the nib you choose, material wise. I let price discussions to be made between the maker and those interested.

Sorry, I wasn't criticising you (fountainpagan) not giving the price. Just noting that there are prices on his other pens but not this one. I think your review was tantalising. Right up to the point when I found that these pens are not aimed at people in my socioeconomic band. Then I kinda lost interest rather quickly I'm afraid.

My first impression was that the pen reminded me of the TWSBI Micarta (not that I could afford one of those either, but that's by the by).

So, to you, Lukasc, my impressions are slogans. What can I tell you? You ask me for my impressions, which I have given on my review, but to you, my impressions, feelings about this pen, are slogans.

I like to describe my emotions, when I talk about a pen, I am no engineer, see? Moreover, I think if you don't say all on a review, that may be a good conversation starter, people may ask about what they want to know, and that wasn't written. Apparently I was mistaken. See, obviously I am not that good on marketing, despite the slogan talk. :)

The Ubik is perfectly confortable to use, and suitable for small hands.

My mistake, I have forgotten to give the dimensions - I have edited my initial message, and added them.

Yep, this sounds just as a piece of corporate propaganda. Probably that's why not many people chip in, including myself, except for this meta-comment. Maybe you are in good faith, but this is what it sounds. Alas, social marketing it is not so easy...

Yep, this sounds just as a piece of corporate propaganda. Probably that's why not many people chip in, including myself, except for this meta-comment. Maybe you are in good faith, but this is what it sounds. Alas, social marketing it is not so easy...

I ignored having such a talent. I probably will offer my services to some brands, but I doubt my "skills" will look that qualified to them.

Any how, thank you for having, at least, have the sincerity of saying what you think.

I will know now that if I want to speak about a pen here, or a pen maker not already in the club, I will have to strict myself to technical data, and objective impressions, no emotion at all, or at least none of my emotions, or feelings, at all - what for? Pens are not about emotion is in it? ;)

So, all I can say is:

My apologies to the penmaker (who works alone, and is not a corporate) for the wrong I may have cause him, because I like his work so much, and dared to praise it, my way.

My apologies to those who felt treated like costumers (aren't we all, by the way?), or victims of a sale's atempt, despite my disclamer.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

You're too sensitive!

Look. Your review has technical specifications, some great images, and a video showing the pen being used and abused. It's fine as a review, and I enjoyed reading/watching it. Don't listen to these other people. :D

I thought the review was excellent and enthusiastic... why shouldn't we sing the praises of the pens we love? This is one of the better reviews I've seen on FPN... great eye candy and details, plus even a video. It's nice to see this level of creativity in both the writing of this review and of the pen itself... kudos to the pen maker! Love that wooden box it comes in! Very classy.

Don't forget, too... when someone takes the time to post a review, they are doing it in the spirit of generosity and giving. Every review makes FPN just that much better a resource for all of us. So don't dump on others' reviews!

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Thank you Cardboard_Tube.

Thank you fiberdrunk.

I appreciate you having seen my real intentions - and help enjoying the happiness of my first Limited Edition, and with the number 01. Thank you :)

WomenWagePeace

No problem. The review deserved praise. Now if I could find a couple of hundred euros I may well buy one these pens. Alas, they will all be gone before I can get the cash. To tell the truth I've kind of given up on even hoping to chase anything that is limited edition. Nice to look though.

I liked your review fountainpagan, thank you for taking the time. I have not seen these pens before, and they look interesting.

Can you explain the difference between the Ubik and the Nucifera - is it principally the material the pen is made from?

Do they take cartridges and convertors?

Thank you da vinci.

The filling system is converter / cartridge.

I believe the difference between the Ubik and the Nucifera is size - the Nucifera being a little longer than the Ubik, and slender.

WomenWagePeace

Thank you da vinci.

The filling system is converter / cartridge.

I believe the difference between the Ubik and the Nucifera is size - the Nucifera being a little longer than the Ubik, and slender.

Thank you - my interest has been piqued!

I actually liked your review and the pen is minimalistic and stylish. It looks good with a clipless design. I would really want to know the pen material used because this pen would be very expensive and because of that i would want to know the material as it drives most of the price.

My two cents worth

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

"Corporate propaganda"... Concerning a pen made by a small artisan... That's mixing concepts... I think people here are able to make their own opinion about a pen regardless of the review, openly subjective. Nice review indeed, the pen falls in my tastes, but is a bit too short for me. And c/c filler is a turn down for me.

PS: number 7 in grenadila wood looks awesome! The Ubik material certainly is intriguing.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Thank you both, vig2432 and Namo, for your compliments.

Eventhough i dislike wooden pens (it is strictly personal), I agree with you: the grenadia Number 7 is a beauty.

I cannot help you about the material: I do not know about it, he wouldn't say.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

I really like the review. The pen reminds me of the Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava, which is a pen I really like. Can you put a writing sample using the anthracite grey ink? Would you say it is a wet writer or a dry writer? I really like the aesthetics of the pen. Thanks again!

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop