Need Help Finding A New Chinese Pen

lreiley

It's the end of an exhausting school year. I'd like something that will write smoothly every time and be pleasing to the eye. Nothing too heavy. I've had my eye on the cherry blossom pens or something like that. Is there a Chinese pen that is a dupe of a Pelikan?

Edited by lreiley

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Ian the Jock

• lreiley

• Manalto

Hi

The jinhao 500 supposedly owes a lot of its looks to the Pelikans.

I have the coffee swirl version and it is a beautiful pen.

Mine writes very smoothly, and is perfectly reliable.

If you're looking for a Pelikan-esque Chinese pen, then the 500 is just the ticket.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

+1 for the Jinhao 500. I like the coffee swirl too (color naming of this pen is not accurate or consistent, so use the photos as a guide); if you don't, it comes in other colors too. As I recall, it was about $6.

ETA: This listing shows the colors available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J174-5-PCS-Jinhao-500-Fountain-Pen-Elegant-Style-5-colors-Medium-Nib-Size-/151707023196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item235271775c

The coffee is the one on the left. See what I mean about the color naming? Would you drink coffee that color? I like it, though. My only complaint about this pen is a minor one - the clip is too stiff.

Edited by Manalto

James

The Jinhao 500 is a nIce pen, and I was getting ready to buy one.

The red and black, and the white pens look nice.

But then I saw the weight. At 42 grams, that is a HEAVY pen! TOO HEAVY for me.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Jinhao 500 is a nIce pen, and I was getting ready to buy one.

The red and black, and the white pens look nice.

But then I saw the weight. At 42 grams, that is a HEAVY pen! TOO HEAVY for me.

Even though it appears to be quite a heavy pen (mine weighs 39g filled) it does not feel heavy when writing, even for long periods.

It is a beautifully balanced pen and is a pleasure write with.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an olive green one to go with the coffee swirl I have.

I don't have any green pens, and I want one, so a green 500 will be "just the ticket" :thumbup:

Ian

Well for less than $4 USD, shipped, I figured what the heck, and ordered one. Mine is the white one.

So in a few weeks I will be able to see how the pen feels like to write.

I did learn a simple trick, use the pen unposted, and that drops the weight considerably. So I plan to do that.

www.SFPenShow.com

Jinhao X750 is a nicely sized and not too heavy pen, mine writes fantastically well and is smoother than my Parker IM. Mine has a classy black trim and isn't thin but isn't too thick either, and I think it's available in a number of different colours too :)

Check out https://penreviewingbrit.wordpress.com for more fountain pen related content on my blog!

Well my Jinhao 500 came today.

That white body is NICE :D

As I expected it is rather heavy (38g), but when unposted (25g) it feels OK. I think this is because the center of gravity is below the top of my hand, that I don't get that tail heavy feel (just as Ian said). Posted, the pen is NOT usable in my hand; too heavy and tail heavy. So the pen will be used unposted. This is going to be interesting to me, as most of my pens are down at the 15g level. BTW, I use my Lamy Safari unposted, as it feels tail heavy when posted. Balance in my hand is important.

The pen is a bit fat (body diameter), but I have not measured it yet. And I'm a slimline writer.

The section however is narrower and seems OK.

Manalto, you are right, the clip is STIFF. Almost too stiff to use.

I have not inked it yet, but the nib feels SMOOTH.

I think I am going to like this.

My difficult decision, that I've been mulling over for the past few days, is what ink to put into it :wacko:

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com