Loupe Recommendation Please

BookCat

This topic was most useful to me, though I am in the States. I was wondering, how do you use this type of loupe if you need both hands to work the nib? One to hold the pen/nib and the other to manipulate the tines? Other than these questions, you've all been a great help here. Thank you.

You can get jewellers eyeglasses with the loupes built in. But generally if I'm adjusting a nib I find it sufficient to check the nib through the loupe, work on it a bit, then check again with the loupe, and so on. Most of these loupes have a very shallow depth of field, so if you're doing anything that involves movement of the pen it's going to be hard to keep it constantly in focus anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• BookCat

• tinta

• Glenn Atkins

One thing I have learned from decades of dealing with optics as a professional university biologist, is that good lighting is a must. In fact, it is one of the "secrets" of expert microscopy. The LED-equipped loupes might be handy "in the field" but should never be expected to substitute for good, bright, even illumination. By this I mean using a desk lamp or even high-intensity lamps; some AC LED lamps might be suitable as well. Whatever works for you is fine, sure, but good illumination is always a major plus and worth the effort and cost.

Even very good optics need quality lighting if they are to shine (so to speak).

For adjusting tines and a lot of other fine work, I like to take frequent peeks with higher-power magnification (a loupe or stereoscope microscope, 10X to 15X), and do the two-handed stuff under a low-power lens/lamp combo -mounted on an arm, like a draftsman's lamp- I found locally for about $20 USD. Again, good illumination makes even this 3X or 4X lens a big help.

Some major names like Nikon sell loupes marked, "Made in Japan." (If true.) Check online. These interest me, as Japanese optics have been at the top since the mid-1970s. On the other hand, China has been making some instruments of surprising quality, pressured not only by the export business, but it's vast internal needs in industry, medicine, and military applications.

Gone are the days -as when I was a kid- when it was enough to know you wanted a magnifier made by B&L, AO, or Zeiss. Most brands come off a Far-East production line, and sometimes, the quality is just fine. Opinions here, as to sources, are likely as good a guide as you can readily find.

Good luck,

Brian

Brian

I use a Belomo 10x loupe, from here. I wouldn't want anything stronger, the magnification is perfect and the depth of field is short enough as it is.

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

I use a Belomo 10x loupe, from here. I wouldn't want anything stronger, the magnification is perfect and the depth of field is short enough as it is.

This is indeed an excellent optic & good value.

At first, when I looked at the price on the above web-site, I thought the price has sure gone up since I've acquired mine.

But then I looked up the contact page for the link. The price is expressed in Australian Dollars.

I bought my 10X Belomo when the Canadian Dollar was at par with the USD.

Now our Dollar is hovering around 0.75 USD. :(

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

This is indeed an excellent optic & good value.

At first, when I looked at the price on the above web-site, I thought the price has sure gone up since I've acquired mine.

But then I looked up the contact page for the link. The price is expressed in Australian Dollars.

I bought my 10X Belomo when the Canadian Dollar was at par with the USD.

Now our Dollar is hovering around 0.75 USD. :(

Ugh, ours is even worse, 0.73, and that's up a little this last week or two. Sad fact. 'Tis a time for selling, but buying is so much fun!

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

I am happy with a Belomo 10x as Richard Binder has suggested. I had Chinese ones and they don't compare. A "40x" Chinese one actually has a lower magnification than the Belomo 10x. 10x is enough for nib alignment. For those that reshape tips I would say they should try something around 15-20x. But the 10x has a better depth of view so it is worth it to have one as a starter loupe!

This topic was most useful to me, though I am in the States. I was wondering, how do you use this type of loupe if you need both hands to work the nib? One to hold the pen/nib and the other to manipulate the tines? Other than these questions, you've all been a great help here. Thank you.

I find these to be useful for work requiring both hands since they clip to my reading glasses. One is 5x and the other is 10x.

fpn_1449782526__loupes.jpg

Just broke down and bought a Belomo 10X loupe for about $35 shipped Prime. Another 10X Hastings triplet by B&L tempted me, but it was a few dollars more and provided a smaller field of view. I know a few fellow scientists who still praise the B&L. I hope to eventually compare them side-by-side.

I've spent my professional life using fine optics. After a few informal tests, I'd certainly group the Belomo loupe in that category. The field of view is pleasingly generous, with outstanding clarity, brightness, and flatness of field edge-to-edge. There are no color issues, at least none are apparent so far. In terms of quality, this loupe helps me resolve details better than several Chinese 10X and 20X loupes I have adopted for casual use. The superior performance is definitely there. Belomo is comparable in quality to several older (vintage) B&L lens sets I have (they all offer lower magnification but impressive clarity). Additionally, the lenses are mounted in a sturdy metal case which swings out freely without being loose.

I don't worry about misplacing or dropping the much cheaper Chinese loupes but I wonder if I will use them as much now that the Belomo is at hand. One of the Chinese loupes offers LED lighting built-in; admittedly nice at a flea market, it doesn't begin to replace good ambient lighting, such as a desk lamp. Good light = good sight.

Anyway, I am sold on this Belomo, even if the prices seem to have jumped over the last few years. Richard Binder made an excellent choice for his recommendation. If you want to see what is going on with a nib or other fine detail, skip a pen purchase if necessary (ouch) to try this quality instrument. I'd like to try a higher magnification model, but mostly out of curiosity because 10X seems just right. (Part of seeing goes beyond magnification, and it involves learning to look carefully for the critical details, a matter of having developed an "experienced eye".)

Brian

Brian

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhands-free+magnifier.TRS0&_nkw=hands-free+magnifier&_sacat=0

This is an Ebay page. I am not suggesting that you buy any of these. However, it offers a range

of styles. Your description, of intended use, leads me to think that a "hands-free" version might be

most suitable. Personally, I use my father's Bausch and Lombe visor model. He was a coin collector.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !