"new" Cs 388 - How Did I Do?

Tack

Like some feedback if I may:

Just won an auction for a 'restored' Conway Stewart 388 .

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161721284023

I THINK I did ok on the price - 31 pounds = approx us$47 plus postage (Brings to approx US$60...)

Certainly, a local fully restored from a B&M store is closer to Aus$160 + (approx US120) . I was surprised that it didn't reach a higher amount - luck of the draw or am I missing something?

Really looking for feedback - negative is welcome! Is there something that makes it less than it seems? The seller has great feedback (and a great listing IMHO). Was it just - in fact - a good deal ? Did I pay too much wrt market value... (however I'm happy with the price).

Any and all comments appreciated

Thanks all.

Now to wait the 10+ days for it to wend its way south...

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnmc2

• Tack

• mallymal1

• Effin1

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite E Bay pen sellers. If he says the pen is excellent it will be excellent. Very knowledgeable seller and totally honest in my experience. Well done on a super buy. Enjoy your pen (when it arrives).

Thanks team. I'm a complete noob at buying pens online so was afraid I missed something obvious in the listing etc. I did feel that the level of detail in the listing was such that it gave me confidence. Of course, you can judge a book by its cover - or a nib by its cap!

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

A very nice pen. I'm very fond of my Conway Stewarts and the 388 is a good looking example. I think you have done well.CS pens come up fairly regularly on Ebay downunder but the cheaper ones usually need a lot of work.

CS pens come up fairly regularly on Ebay downunder but the cheaper ones usually need a lot of work.

Yes, I bought a 55 in green marble on Trademe this evening for NZ$21 but it will need a complete overhaul I'm sure, even assuming no damage.

Well done.

I'm not an expert but I think that £31 is at the lower end of the range for a CS388 in good condition so you have done well.

I haven't bought from Belfast Popeye but he is on my fairly short list of "Followed Sellers" (along with Secukltd, FishingMullet, and NibblyPigPens) as he seems to be both reputable and honest.

The 10 days will pass slowly but enjoy the pen when it eventually arrives.

Cheers,

David.

£31 is reasonable for a high end 388 but good from a seller with Belfast Popeye's reputation. I very rarely win any of his auctions.

Not my favourite Conway pen because, although 5" long, it is a bit slim for my hand. However, when you see the quality and write with it you will understand why Conways have such a following.

388's are popular, often out pricing the slightly thicker 286, but then they do have a three band cap which is very rare on Conway pens. Last of the pre war style pen produced by Conway.