So Much For Looking In Antique Shops

Chouffleur

I was bumbling around a new neighborhood today and stopped in at an antique store. The only fountain pen they had was a little 452 1/2. $275. Ouch. But for you, today only, $245. Ouch.

Teensy little thing.

Back to the flea markets.

Edited by Chouffleur

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j-e-g

• inkstainedruth

• Chouffleur

• amk

I was bumbling around a new neighborhood today and stopped in at an antique store. The only fountain pen they had was a little 452 1/2. $275. Ouch. But for you, today only, $245. Ouch.

Teensy little thing.

Back to the flea markets.

You never know, though. My "sumgai" moment came in an antiques mall -- and one I had been in before at that (and had seen nothing but a junker third tier the previous occasion). I don't know what made me go in the place again, but I was in the general vicinity last fall, and had been thinking about finding a writing desk or hutch for myself. No desks -- at least no affordable ones. But not one but *two* Parker 51s with random caps on them. Sellers either didn't realize what they had (ie., didn't know enough about pens to do research) or didn't care. Their loss was of course my gain. Made up for *all* the Wearevers, Sheaffer school pens, third and fourth tier junkers, and overpriced, damaged Watermans I'd seen in my travels over the past couple of years. (And yeah, the woman in the place where I'd seen the Waterman with the nib tines bent at about a 90 degree angle wasn't happy when I told her that $295 was way overpriced.... I guess I should stick my nose in the place again at some point and see if anything new has come in -- it's been a couple of years at this point, I think.)

And just a couple of weeks ago I was in a place that really didn't look like much on the outside, but turned out to be much bigger than I'd realized. Several booths had pens or ink (although mostly for more than I was willing to pay) -- but I came out of the place with one of the pens I saw in a case right on the checkout counter: a Esterbrook SJ with a 9128 nib, for roughly $20.

So while you might not have found anything wothwhile that trip, don't be afraid to check back in the place in a couple of months -- something might have come in just the day before, waiting for you to snap it up.

And my experience with flea markets? Mostly overpriced Esterbrooks, more Sheaffer school pens, and a Parker 21 with a cracked barrel.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You never know, though. My "sumgai" moment came in an antiques mall -- and one I had been in before at that (and had seen nothing but a junker third tier the previous occasion). I don't know what made me go in the place again, but I was in the general vicinity last fall, and had been thinking about finding a writing desk or hutch for myself. No desks -- at least no affordable ones. But not one but *two* Parker 51s with random caps on them. Sellers either didn't realize what they had (ie., didn't know enough about pens to do research) or didn't care. Their loss was of course my gain. Made up for *all* the Wearevers, Sheaffer school pens, third and fourth tier junkers, and overpriced, damaged Watermans I'd seen in my travels over the past couple of years. (And yeah, the woman in the place where I'd seen the Waterman with the nib tines bent at about a 90 degree angle wasn't happy when I told her that $295 was way overpriced.... I guess I should stick my nose in the place again at some point and see if anything new has come in -- it's been a couple of years at this point, I think.)

And just a couple of weeks ago I was in a place that really didn't look like much on the outside, but turned out to be much bigger than I'd realized. Several booths had pens or ink (although mostly for more than I was willing to pay) -- but I came out of the place with one of the pens I saw in a case right on the checkout counter: a Esterbrook SJ with a 9128 nib, for roughly $20.

So while you might not have found anything wothwhile that trip, don't be afraid to check back in the place in a couple of months -- something might have come in just the day before, waiting for you to snap it up.

And my experience with flea markets? Mostly overpriced Esterbrooks, more Sheaffer school pens, and a Parker 21 with a cracked barrel.

If you had to categorize where you bought your collection from, what would be the percentages be from antique shops, flea markets, estate sales, armed robbery, etc. Also what would be the percentage of effort for each? As in "I buy 5% of my pens from pen shows and spend 20% of my time doing so."

Thanks,

Chouffleur

Edited by Chouffleur

Many of the antique dealers have no idea of the 'reasonable' value of a pen.

I've seen CHEAP Chinese pens in bad condition listed for $75+

So I have no idea how they come up with their prices.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you had to categorize where you bought your collection from, what would be the percentages be from antique shops, flea markets, estate sales, armed robbery, etc. Also what would be the percentage of effort for each? As in "I buy 5% of my pens from pen shows and spend 20% of my time doing so."

Thanks,

Chouffleur

The bulk (especially for the vintage pens) have been Ebay.

Can't say as to percentages -- hadn't really thought about it.

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've also had diverse results in antique stores. The user-grade Parker "51" for $350? Pass. The well-preserved Vacumatic for $25? Sure! The 100 Year Pen with a crumbly tail for $10? Why not? I can get that seen to eventually....

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 1 month later...

I came across a Conklin Crescent today... The cap is cracked in 2 places but did screw onto the cap.

Otherwise, the body, feed section, nib, feed and crescent are in surprisingly good shape. Gold looks like it needs a little cleaning and polishing... The nib is "Conklin" gold, tines good and very flexible. The only outer damage I can see is the ring that around the barrel and through the crescent.

Apologies, I am not familiar with them, I just know them by sight.. I don't repair pens or anything, I just can't bear to leave one behind when I know folks who are looking for one or even for parts of one. If anyone is looking for a crescent... PM me

I am not a "collector" or a seller.. I just like fountain pens and junk/antique shopping... I have found some pretty good finds... and prices that are pretty darn good.. ( nothing like what you are experiencing )

Sitting on some great pens/sets that I thought were a good price. After reading others experiences, I am even happier now that I "broke down" and bought them.

Today was a good day I guess, I also found a brown piston Reform with case & cardboard sleeve, mint - never inked... 8 dollars :) Same place that had the crescent.. oh and a nice Morriset bakelite inwell with bottle ( 15.00 )

I hope your lck turns around and don't give up the hunt for those pens tucked away in dusty shops -

I need to correct my remarks about the ring/band that goes around the barrel at the gold crescent filler - I have been looking online and I finally found some images that show that band. The images show that the band isn't supposed to go all around the barrel.

I thought it was a flaw in the pen - glad to learn it is not. This is a website that has images of the pen - Again. send me a message if you are looking for one. The price was amazingly low so a good chance to get one if you need it , I have no use for it :mellow:

http://www.vintageflex.com/Others/0091.html

After 25 years of searching for anything writing related from Old Timers, antique dealers, pen collectore

sidewalk sales , yard sales, ebay, any bay etc

being pen specific now it is getting more and more difficult ( time consuming) to find a pen which meets my buying criteria

which is ever revolving.

As for antique dealers, regular flea market sellers, please do remember they are doing this tying to make a living at it.

They are generalists, not usually any one line of collectibles, yes they have access to much the same research materials as we have but most do not invest that mush time in pricing a product... I definitely do not try to educate them.

If upon finding an item of interest, if the dealer is too high , generally I just move on

If it is too low I mile a little , OK a lot and pay the seller

If his price is a bit higher than I need to pay, I do try to negotiate to a more reasonable price

If a sale does not take please, there really is nothing lost, he still has his pen and I still have my money

Maybe it will be there next time and we can try again

For me the thrill of the hunt continues but the days of bringing home a sac full of treasures is nearing an end

There is still a great many vintage and now modern pens to be un covered, but the market place has certainly changed.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Coming home empty handed and pockets jingling is still a day enjoyed.

A fun day out with your friends. Each one searching for something they treasure. Something to add to their collection(s).

Always fun to hear at least one of my friends holler "score", "jackpot" or "awesome".

It isn't unheard of for me to be on the lookout for pens and coming home with a dresser to re-finish :D

"score"

Coming home empty handed and pockets jingling is still a day enjoyed.

A fun day out with your friends. Each one searching for something they treasure. Something to add to their collection(s).

Always fun to hear at least one of my friends holler "score", "jackpot" or "awesome".

It isn't unheard of for me to be on the lookout for pens and coming home with a dresser to re-finish :D

"score"

Well, the day I went looking for a desk I came home with the two 51s instead. Go figure.... Ended up buying a desk on Craig's list for more than both pens combined (and it was an inexpensive desk).

Well Ruth.. come on over and we'll go junking"

I got a Parker 21 Special in one of a couple baggies of pens and parts.... I am in search of a nib for it...

I was told that the nib for the 51 will work.

Going to enjoy a Sunday stroll through a shop today... xxxxx fingers crossed for something fun.

j-e-g, I like your attitude! With French village sales, I know that even if I find nothing, there'll still be an excellent barbecue and a glass of good wine, cider or local beer before it's time to go home... and if I'm lucky, cake :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

j-e-g, I like your attitude! With French village sales, I know that even if I find nothing, there'll still be an excellent barbecue and a glass of good wine, cider or local beer before it's time to go home... and if I'm lucky, cake :-)

I'm still buying Esterbrooks. I'll put off buying entire French villages until later on. ;-)

Chouffluer -

I went out and about today.. some good finds...

A semi-transparent Ruby with gold Everlast - very cool, held to the light you can see the lever bar in action

A Wahl Oxford, black-gold-browns 14K nib Red Button filler

An Orange, black top/bottom "The Lincoln" lever filler, ring top

A Brown Sheaffer non-nonsense ball point, barrel imprint is along the threads under the cap

Finally a very unsual ( to me ) gold/bronze scrolled/engraved metal pen. No Nib so no clue as to maker etc.

The nib-feed section must screw into the metal body, I'll need to find out what size section to look for. Had a fineline nib section, much too small.

I should post a photo, someone on FPN must know what it is???

I won't be able to post them before then :mellow: Good news is I'll be "GoNe FiShiN"

Oh, those 'Lincoln' pens are nice! and I'm very partial to Wahl oxfords. Sounds like a really super haul.

The little Orange Lincoln pen is quite interesting and the Wahl Oxford is beautiful.

I have seen pens with similar patterns, but I don't know what the particular pattern/design is called ?

It is really in good shape, shiny with nice clear imprint.

( I really need to figure out how to post photos on FPN )

But, the Wahl is blacks-golds-browns with a varied crosshatch type pattern. If I had to give it aname, I might call it a Van Gogh pen. It reminds me of some of his works.

They only thing better than finding these old pens would be if I could just ink them up and use them ! Never the less, was a fun day.

I wish I had all day to look them all up and learn the story behind them.. but the fish are waiting :D Can't wait to see my cousin and his wife. I am looking forward to spending a few day just hanging out on the river.