Downtime Earlier Today

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of our little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Occasionally, a bit gets lost, and this was the case earlier today with regard to a few stored in a database table, obviously one of importance to be able to see FPN at all. We got the dreaded "Driver Error", one we haven't seen in many years now - that is good in itself :). Just a shame it happened now :).

Cause of such a happening is difficult to ascertain, although we did have a massive increase in traffic early this morning European time, and late last night USA time, well over a 100-fold of normal traffic. Hosting Support noticed this too, and took immediate action. The combination of heavy traffic and a forced hard reboot may well have caused this problem. It happens, it is one of those things.

It has been resolved again, however, so enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• AAAndrew

• EclecticCollector

• Larry Barrieau

Glad it got resolved. Thanks for all you and the entire admin team do!!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Saw the "database driver" error message earlier (a couple of times, in fact) today. Fortunately, late in the day I saw the reassuring "down for maintenance, we're taking care of things" screen.

Thanks for getting things back up and running so quickly -- in case nobody's told you recently, you guys rock! :notworthy1:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks so much for the work you do to keep the ship in motion and still floating. I work closely with the infrastructure folks at a company and I know it's often a thankless job. Your job is only noticed when things don't go well.

Thanks for getting it all back in order. Wonder what the spike was... I can't imagine we'd be targeted for a DOS. Any clues?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

It's amazing at how addicted I have become to the FPN! I rely on the FPN for a great deal of the initial stages my learning about the various topics.

Thank you for bringing the Network up and running in such a short time. I can imagine it was quite the task.

Congratulations on your swift action.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Glad you got it all straightened out.

Had to wait until all our crazy Dutch relatives left before trying FPN again!

I'd like to echo what others have said, I've only been a member a short time and I really missed the site while it was down! My deep felt thanks to all of you who keep this all running so well! :thumbup:

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Well done team :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATING...

I keep getting "waiting for Fountainpennetwork..."Waiting for FPN Marketing", transferring data, waiting, transferring data...

Waiting for FPN Marketing...

FOREVER to LOAD..and that's if you are lucky.

I have tried my PC, Kindle Fire, Apple Ipod, Iphone, from different locations...it is not me. IT IS FPN!!

VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATING.

This is the first time I have been able to connect today, and I have tried around 10 times. ????

Is anyone aware of the problem that is in a position to do something about it?

Yep, it is loading slowly. Seems to go a bit faster on my android.

Seems to be like this for some time. It has possibly to do with our earlier down-times, but I am not sure about that.

I think Wim will have a look as soon as he is available.

I know it's annoying.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I will look into it this weekend.

I have been away for 2 days solid on business, first time I logged in here for two days, unfortunately.

I have a lot of catching up to do it seems.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Had a look at it regardless, and my suspicions were confirmed.

I think it is fixed now, at least for a first pass. I'll do some more checks this weekend.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman