What's Your Quintessential Fountain Pen?

max dog

Sheaffer OS Balance lever filler in Black with a fine nib.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Manalto

• ink-syringe

• Moynihan

Sheaffer PFM-V. It was the pen my father was using when I was about 8 years old and the first fp of which I was truly aware -- fat black barrel, gold cap, snorkel filling mechanism, inlaid gold nib laying down a fine jet-black line of Sheaffer Skrip... It didn't have to yell "PEN!!"; a quiet statement sufficed. He used other pens before and after that one: Parker 51, Sheaffer Targa and Connaiseur. But that PFM embodies for me the idea of fountain pen.

I own it now; he gave it to me before he passed away. Don't use it much, but I look at it often. Every time I hold it the years fall away, and I'm 8 years old again, watching my father fill this pen from an ink bottle that rests on one of his stained blotting cards (I have some of those, too). And maybe this is why I love, use and collect fountain pens.

Pilot Custom FK-700R-B-M. I am simply not using all my other fountain pens anymore (I have 30+ of these).

Since the past 6 months I've only been using this pens, all my other ones are uselessly accumulating dust and their inks are getting dry.

Wow! What an assortment of answers! But it sounds like Pelikans are very popular.

For me, I have two. I love my Lamy Studio Wild Rubin with the 14K gold fine point nib. It is so smooth and inviting to write with that I hate to put it down. The second would be my Delta Horsepower with the fusion stub nib. I love the way the pen molds into my hand, like a comfortable glove. And this pen just keeps on going.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

If it existed...

extra large, beautiful like no other and inexpensive. But no, of course it doesn't exist.

From the Webster site Definition of QUINTESSENCE

1 : the fifth and highest element in ancient and medieval philosophy that permeates all nature and is the substance composing the celestial bodies
2 : the essence of a thing in its purest and most concentrated form

3 : the most typical example or representative < this is my view >

Esterbook J series

The "everyman's pen."

Affordable, many nib options, different sizes (J, LJ, SJ), different colors (red, copper, green, blue, grey, black), many are still available today.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Not necessarily your best, most expensive or even your grail.

Mine is the Pelikan M200 because it is:

• Affordable
  • Well crafted and reliable
  • A classic from an established fountain pen maker.
  • A direct descendant of the early great Pelikans from decades ago.
  • A Piston filler and a smooth responsive writer
...M200 writing sample and on the lost art of hand writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sF5XxcuXA

+1

Thought of the m200 before I clicked into the thread and saw this.

No frills, no nonsense. Just a good nib and a good piston. A workhorse.

I especially like the old ones without the little metal ring on the top of the cap.

Edited by superglueshoe

For me, the quintessential is my Aurora Optima. Piston filler, makes own nibs, long established maker of pens. Not to mention a wonderful history and story.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I had to decide between my Noodler's Konrads and my Lamy 2000. I finally settled on the Lamy.

There are a few quantifiable reasons and a few which are more emotional. I like the piston, the nice writing, the feel in my hand, and the understated look.

But, what really brought it home to me is that I'm on break for the summer. Since I bought it last fall, the Lamy 2000 became my daily writer. I cleaned it once all year. Once it ran out after school, I cleaned it again and decided I haven't used my beloved Pilot Custom 823 in a while. Due to cost, this pen does not travel much!

But, a funny thing has happened. I still like the pen a lot, but I find I would rather write with the Lamy 2000. It's making me wonder if I have a role for the Pilot.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

A Waterman's N°52 for me. Perfect size and weight, and Waterman made some very lovely nibs.

Esterbrook LJ Icicle Green with 2284 nib (which is even smoother than my 9284 nib). If I could only own one pen it's the one.

Duofold Centennial. A thing of beauty and a joy (to write with) forever.

The nibs, I had some who were superbe right out of the box, some needed quite a few pages of writing to smoothen up.

The design, what can I say? After al those years with Duofolds, I find the design still stunning (I do not like cigar shaped pens, not any of them). I have other pens, nice pens, but the Duofolds are stunning beauties.

The finish and colours...well...

But, as always, to each his own and de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.

Enjoy whatever you like!

Hugo

Edited by dojocho

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Sheaffer PFM-V. It was the pen my father was using when I was about 8 years old and the first fp of which I was truly aware -- fat black barrel, gold cap, snorkel filling mechanism, inlaid gold nib laying down a fine jet-black line of Sheaffer Skrip... It didn't have to yell "PEN!!"; a quiet statement sufficed. He used other pens before and after that one: Parker 51, Sheaffer Targa and Connaiseur. But that PFM embodies for me the idea of fountain pen.

I own it now; he gave it to me before he passed away. Don't use it much, but I look at it often. Every time I hold it the years fall away, and I'm 8 years old again, watching my father fill this pen from an ink bottle that rests on one of his stained blotting cards (I have some of those, too). And maybe this is why I love, use and collect fountain pens.

Thanks for sharing your story about your fathers fountain pen. I think your Sheaffer PFM-V takes the crown here as the Quintessenial fountain pen! :)

One of the Langs family of pens, based on the 125 or 185 series. Manufactured pre & post war.

A large 5" plus, totally conservative, lever fill pen. It could be in hard rubber, marble or even lizard skin celluloid, a Summit, Stephens, National Security, Savoy or many other brands (including Conway Stewart).

I have found that they were consistantly well manufactured and an excellent pen to write with, if you like the medium to broad nib they tended to fit.

Edited by peterg

Folks. Just for clarification, the video clip is not mine. I found it on YouTube and liked what was said about handwriting. For respect and due credit to the maker of that video, I should have made that clear in the op.

Edited by max dog

Pelikan.

400NN...though I'd be happy with all or most of the others already mentioned in this thread.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell