Custom 823 With #15 Fa Nib

Scribble Monboddo

I've seen this combination appear on so many people's wish-lists that I got tempted too! I found one retailer who would provide the FA nib fitted to a Custom 823; the interestingly-named Tokyo Pen Quill Shop, which is not strictly in Tokyo and doesn't actually sell quills, but they do seem to have a good relationship with Pilot. Communication was excellent and, barring some customs charges, delivery was fairly effortless too. The ink capacity is absolutely huge, the pen is nicely balanced, and it writes well - and I think will get better with further use, too. Somewhat to my surprise, the slightly larger #15 FA nib is rather stiffer than the #10 FA (which I have in a Custom 742 and Heritage 912), but it does still flex and it's a pleasure to use. There's a photo of the pen in action and some of my own scribbles at my review blog here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scribble Monboddo

• Amy1234

• Dr.Grace

• Algester

I've looked at these a couple of times. What exactly is the flex on that nib like? Do you have to apply a certain degree of pressure when writing or is it quite bouncy?

Yes please, more details on how much stiffer it is. Is it still significantly softer than a Pilot soft-fine, or is it still softer-flexier than that?

If one had to buy just one, would you advise for this modified 823 at 30k Yen (~240$ + shipping + how much were the custom charges?), or a 912 at ~155$ (Amazon.com)?

Thanks (and, nice handwriting!).

I've seen this combination appear on so many people's wish-lists that I got tempted too! I found one retailer who would provide the FA nib fitted to a Custom 823; the interestingly-named Tokyo Pen Quill Shop, which is not strictly in Tokyo and doesn't actually sell quills, but they do seem to have a good relationship with Pilot. Communication was excellent and, barring some customs charges, delivery was fairly effortless too. The ink capacity is absolutely huge, the pen is nicely balanced, and it writes well - and I think will get better with further use, too. Somewhat to my surprise, the slightly larger #15 FA nib is rather stiffer than the #10 FA (which I have in a Custom 742 and Heritage 912), but it does still flex and it's a pleasure to use. There's a photo of the pen in action and some of my own scribbles at my review blog here.

what ink are you using in the sample? I like the shading.

but asahiya kami bungu is in tokyo... correction it is in Tokyo... by definition it is located in Ota Ward, Tokyo

Tokyo itself is a prefecture inside that prefecture lies the city of Tokyo inside that city lies the metropolis of Tokyo, among which is contained into different "districts" or wards, among them is the Shibuya, Ota (where Tokyo quill pen or in this case asahiya kami bungu is located), Chuo, Minato etc..etc...etc... and each of these districts can be reached by the the subway system

similar here in the philippines when you consider NCR

also as Washington DC in america

Edited by Algester

Well, I stand corrected as regards the geography!

This nib does indeed flex, and the pressure required to achieve that is rather less than that required to get line variation out of one of Pilot's 'soft' nibs, for instance. I feel like it requires only a little more pressure than the #10 FA nib, and I've seen many people describe that as the closest thing available to vintage wet flex so it's pretty good.

I agree with the comments about the owner of the shop - he's a proper fountain pen enthusiast and the attention to detail was impressive. Customs charges will vary depending upon where you are, of course, but I'd say the purchase price is worth it.

vPro, the ink is listed right at the bottom of the review, and I like it too - this came from a sample kindly provided by Diamine, but I liked it so much that I've bought a bottle!

Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of ordering a pen from them for some time. They have some Custom 823s with nibs available to where else. Glad to hear their service was good.

The Diamine Blue Velvet is pretty ink, too. Basically it is just dark blue.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Has anyone figured out how to adjust the feed or what nib meister can increase the flow to allow western flex writing? Of a 742

Thank you for this. I've been considering an 845 with an FA nib, from the same shop. It's good to know you've had a good experience with them.

Has anyone figured out how to adjust the feed or what nib meister can increase the flow to allow western flex writing? Of a 742

have you tried to ask John Mottishaw? else Mike Masuyama

or you can have an alternative carve an ebonite feed stock for the nib

Edited by Algester

Just got the 912 and love it, although the FA nib does have some issues as discussed in Nibsmith's video review. It's pretty picky for writing over paper that have oil on them. Scribble, does the 823 have the same issue?

A lot of people knock on the FA nib, comparing it to a traditional flex when it shouldn't be. I think the amount of flex is perfect for my writing style. You can write with it, and when you need it, it can flex. It's soft and doesn't take much pressure to get some nice line variation.

I'm having some issues running Diamine Kelly Green through mine, just doesn't flow. Scribble, did you have any trouble in the #15 FA nib with your Diamine ink?

Very tempting :)

Another black pen or Amber after all?

If I`m still intrigued by this pen in a month or so, I might go for it.

Edited by Polanova

Just got the 912 and love it, although the FA nib does have some issues as discussed in Nibsmith's video review. It's pretty picky for writing over paper that have oil on them. Scribble, does the 823 have the same issue?

A lot of people knock on the FA nib, comparing it to a traditional flex when it shouldn't be. I think the amount of flex is perfect for my writing style. You can write with it, and when you need it, it can flex. It's soft and doesn't take much pressure to get some nice line variation.

I'm having some issues running Diamine Kelly Green through mine, just doesn't flow. Scribble, did you have any trouble in the #15 FA nib with your Diamine ink?

IIRC Diamine inks are problematic with flexible nibs... I think ancient copper works but thats still on shaky grounds...

Hi there. The FA nib (of either size) can be a pernickity beast and both paper and ink are important to get right, I find. As regards paper, Rhodia or Clairefontaine types work very well, but cheaper paper can be a false economy with this nib. I am a Diamine fan as any reader of my blog will be all too aware, but I had some difficulties getting a few of their inks to work with the FA initially and at first thought I'd have to fork out for expensive Iroshizuku forever, but I was wrong. Diamine inks evidently vary considerably in viscosity; shake one of the clear plastic bottles and you'll see that some have better 'legs' as they say in wine-tasting. The thicker inks which don't run down the sides so quickly seem to work better; I am using Blue Velvet on a daily basis at present with the 823 and it's running fairly smoothly. I hope that helps!

<IIRC Diamine inks are problematic with flexible nibs>

Despite Scribbles comments about <some> Diamine inks, I have Diamine inks in all my vintage Pelikans at present (all with flexy nibs) -- and love the combination and <never> have any problem!

Anyhow, back to the thread: Scribble, I have a #15 FA in a 723 Custom and do not even know the difference between 723 and 742 (or 823, for that matter). Would you explain for me, please?

Like a true vintage, flex nib, it is not -- this FA -- but it is pretty damned good and fun to write with. <Sometimes> I can run the nib a bit dry, if I ask too much of it...

<IIRC Diamine inks are problematic with flexible nibs>

Despite Scribbles comments about <some> Diamine inks, I have Diamine inks in all my vintage Pelikans at present (all with flexy nibs) -- and love the combination and <never> have any problem!

Anyhow, back to the thread: Scribble, I have a #15 FA in a 723 Custom and do not even know the difference between 723 and 742 (or 823, for that matter). Would you explain for me, please?

Like a true vintage, flex nib, it is not -- this FA -- but it is pretty damned good and fun to write with. <Sometimes> I can run the nib a bit dry, if I ask too much of it...

Hiya Christopher, you know what I'm going to say next - let's see some writing samples! 'Love to see what those Pelikans do...

Getting back to the Pilots, I haven't come across a 723 so I can't comment on that, but I do have use of a 742, 912, and 823 (and if I had a bus pass, that would probably get me halfway across the country...). As I understand it, the main differences are nib size and filling systems. The 742 and 912 both use a #10 nib and a push-button converter, which actually works very well. The 823 is a slightly longer pen and has the larger #15 nib, and also gets you into the interesting territory of the vac-fill mechanism - that does suck up a lot of ink but can be a bit harder to push-prime when the feed is running dry.

The FA in terms of flex is pretty nice, just go slow and steady. One of the biggest pitfalls is it skipping on oily paper. Pretty much wherever your hands touch the paper, which is everywhere, you are more likely to have issues. Does anyone have this issue with the other nibs like a SF, PO or is it just relegated to the FA?

Yea, the Damine was hopeless. I have some Noodler's gruene cactus in there now, not much better (at least it flows). Haven't had much luck with Noodler's lately, so I've pretty much stopped using it. I'm having terrible luck finding a shade of green that I like in a drier ink. I got some really good results from Salior's Oku-yama, just having got the pen 912, I'll have to ink it up and try it again. If you don't already, get some, the color is amazing.

I'm not writing on optimized FP paper like most here, but I am writing on Crane's Crest 100% rag. I've had good luck with it, even better with quality inks.

wgrant83 may have the answer: I do tend to write quickly -- so had better cultivate the habit of going a bit slower...thanks!

Scribbler: my (humble) apologies -- it is a <743>, not a 723 or whatever I wrote above! I <shall> try to provide you with writing samples, by and by...

• 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with the Pilot custom 323 running dry after a few pages writing even when it is full of ink AND the screw on the plunger is screwed out approx 2 or more mm as the manufacturer recommends? I've had this problem on both my 323's and just have to stop using it for a while and change to another pen and come back to it later.

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with the Pilot custom 323 running dry after a few pages writing even when it is full of ink AND the screw on the plunger is screwed out approx 2 or more mm as the manufacturer recommends? I've had this problem on both my 323's and just have to stop using it for a while and change to another pen and come back to it later.

air lock. try pilot ink.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.