Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

Glad you asked. There is no doubt that the MB capless roller refill is a rebranded Schmidt capless BUT Montblanc made a slight change - the black top cap of the refill is about 2 mm narrower than the standard Schmidt.

This means that the standard refill won't fit the retractable Heritage 1912, which I have. I don't know for sure if it will fit the M, but my guess is that MB does not want you to use someone else's refill.

Like you, I love the way the standard MB rollerball writes, but feel the capless is too broad for my handwriting. MB has told me they have no plans for a fine point capless refill. So, for now I would be cautious of the M rollerball. You could opt for an M ballpoint or Urban Speed rollerball which writes like your LeGrand.

This might be a dumb question, but couldn't you just pry off the narrower top cap from a used MB refill and then put it on a generic Schmidt capless refill? (Montblanc DIY ;) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe you could consider M fountain pen? The nib is one of the stiffest nibs I ever tried, lays even line, writes pretty much as a rollerball (or Parker 51 for that matter). Plus side is you can have more fun with inks and still use it as a workhorse for brief notes.

Unfortunately, a fountain pen is not as convenient as I would like for work. It seems the refills for the M is not right for me. The rollerball seems more like a broad than a medium, the fineliner is too fine, and the ballpoint black is not as deep as I would like. Shame, as I really like how the pen looks and feels. However, the Starwalker rollerball/fineliner seems like a favourable alternative, if not as attractive or convenient with a twist cap.

This might be a dumb question, but couldn't you just pry off the narrower top cap from a used MB refill and then put it on a generic Schmidt capless refill? (Montblanc DIY ;) )

Might be possible but they seal those capless refills tightly at the top. I might try filing down the top instead.

Edited by rsx

Dr. Scrawl

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where a famous designer would actually focus on the functionality of the item and not on clever curves and references? Where the new MB M were offered with groundbreaking nib technology (as in a Sailor) and a roomy piston filler, with newly designed gaskets to increase longevity and minimize breakage and leakage? Where a new hardy polymer were explored?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I like the pen aesthetically, really do. I have problems with the weight distribution though, i think Montblanc didn't think it through properly, way too heavy towards the nib, not balanced well. the converter absence is unforgivable IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

These cheap Jinhao converters (12 units for 7,41€, shipping included) fit perfectly.

http://fotos.subefotos.com/c6ea2736a16eea53efa431df1c9fd442o.jpg

I picked my MB M at Dromgoole's in Houston a couple of months ago. Larry Dromgoole gave me a converter that works perfectly. I don't know what kind it is, but it does look quite a lot like the Jihhao converter that HermetiC posted.

24256284254_51e39ad003_k.jpg

24256279884_e1aea45237_h.jpg

I was really eager for this pen and quite disappointed when I finally saw one in the boutique. It was small and much less impressive than the photos appeared. In the months since then, it has really grown on me and if it wasn't for those new 110th anniversary pens, I think I would be purchasing an M.

I was really eager for this pen and quite disappointed when I finally saw one in the boutique. It was small and much less impressive than the photos appeared.

It is not a small pen at all.

Length is the same of the Starwalkers, hooded and unhooded

http://fotos.subefotos.com/11f742665b5115121b32f4d8117c574ao.jpg

http://fotos.subefotos.com/b770a735696947ff77a43753f518a326o.jpg

And the body is almost as wide as a 149

http://fotos.subefotos.com/2570ef4c969cfd8fca518b03ff5522f9o.jpg

Compared to a Starwalker, I suppose it is not so small. But I find the Starwalkers small as well, and had hoped the M would be longer (or postable) and have a larger section.

I think it's the perfect "modern" compliment to the Meisterstück series pens, was never really a fan of the Starwalker line all that much.

The little things really count.

I was using Montblanc M and Lamy Dialog 3 all day today. And I was thinking to myself, credits to Montblanc... It is pure marketing genius. The nib on Lamy was in all aspects superior. And I am not talking small margin here. Yet Montblanc is a much more expensive pen. Montblanc, I salute you!

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 1 month later...

I was using Montblanc M and Lamy Dialog 3 all day today. And I was thinking to myself, credits to Montblanc... It is pure marketing genius. The nib on Lamy was in all aspects superior. And I am not talking small margin here. Yet Montblanc is a much more expensive pen. Montblanc, I salute you!

Did you mean that Dialog 3 is much better than M?

I am considering to get one of them.

Your opinion will be really helpful for me

Thanks,

If I may jump in here. I am not a big fan of the M or D3 nib. If you want a contemporary black fountain pen that is a superb writer, and a reasonable price as well, look no farther than the Namiki black matte vanishing point. Having used all three, it is the one I go to most often.

Dr. Scrawl

Did you mean that Dialog 3 is much better than M?

I am considering to get one of them.

Your opinion will be really helpful for me

Thanks,

They are very different pens. What they have in common is that although designed by Italian and Australian, the origin of their design leads to Ulm design school in Germany.Both of them are not very useful for prolonged writing but are good for taking intermittent notes in meetings. Lamy is better made and is more original pen, personally I use MB M more because it is lighter than Dialog 3. MB has more prestige, Dialog is much better value for money, especially if you can get a good deal on it. They are both good pens, if you don't mind heavy pen than Lamy Dialog 3 is a great choice. If prestige is important to you, go for M.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 4 weeks later...

Saw one at Harrod's in London. Those guys must be on commission. The pen wasn't good enough to overcome the discomfort I felt from the staff.

But a new client, wrongfully accused of dealing drugs came in with one. He offered it as a down payment. Too bad it was a rollerball, I think.

I like the clinky clicky cap. But I question the design of a pen that needs a warning label. :-)

Next time I'm in Houston, I'll probably try one at Dromgoole's. Sounds like Larry figured it out. That's a dangerous place for me, but I am attracted there like a moth to the flame.

So, I'm sure I'm not the target market, but I want to give the pen a fair shot before giving a thumbs up or down.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out the fountain pen and it was fine. However I completely fell for the Heritage 1912,so that came home with me. Better nib with a nice flex.

However I like the M form. I also took the Artfineliner home, as I do a lot of technical notes, and it has the best fineliner nib I have ever used. The section is comfortable to me, and it is a solid feel in the hand.

The magnetic cap is a nice touch, and I play with it between notes, and as it is relatively silent, it is hopefully not annoying to those around me compared to clicking ball pen buttons.

I cannot help with the FP as I haven't lived with it, but several months with the Artfineliner and I can recommend it.

Edited by jagwap

Nothing special about this fountain pen. Starwalker have unique transparent emblum, Meisterstuck have classic style but what does Montblanc M have? I rather go for Starwalker Pletinum Resin or Meisterstuck Mozart

• 1 month later...

It will be hard to outdo the Lamy 2000 in terms of iconic modernist design

Lamy 2000 is a great design. But I find Pelikan Souveran m600 Steersman even better. I have the Mark Newson too but I

like my Starwalker more as MB MN is thicker while having a comparatively small nib.

Look at Pilot Custom 845 & Parker Duofold- both thick pens balanced by a bigger nib.

You can use the long Waterman or Pelikan cartridges with no problem. I am.

I havn't tried a Waterman cartridge but the Pelikan long cartridge is not a 100% fit in Mark Newson.

S