Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

I love the design of this pen. A lot of more expensive FP coming on the market for a decade now are design wise stuck in the FP golden era and tend to be gaudy on top of that. This pen looks like a pen made in 2015 (and not 1925).

I am seriously contemplating getting rid of my Legrand Doue and purchase this pen instead.

(not that there is anything wrong with Legrand, I just stick to my decision to have only that many pens as I can use on a regular basis)

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the design of this pen. A lot of more expensive FP coming on the market for a decade now are design wise stuck in the FP golden era and tend to be gaudy on top of that. This pen looks like a pen made in 2015 (and not 1925).

I am seriously contemplating getting rid of my Legrand Doue and purchase this pen instead.

(not that there is anything wrong with Legrand, I just stick to my decision to have only that many pens as I can use on a regular basis)

Say what you want about Newson, he's certainly made a pen that polarizes opinions: people either like it or hate it. You like the design, which would be a big plus to me if I were in your shoes. The one thought/concern I'd have about switching is the ink supply (or lack thereof) compared to the Legrand...does this bother you?

Say what you want about Newson, he's certainly made a pen that polarizes opinions: people either like it or hate it. You like the design, which would be a big plus to me if I were in your shoes. The one thought/concern I'd have about switching is the ink supply (or lack thereof) compared to the Legrand...does this bother you?

Not really. I love piston fillers and the one on my early 60s Lamy really impresses me, but I don't mind filling a cartridge using a syringe. I used to be a bit of a piston filler snob but my experience with Montblanc cartridges is quite good. I like their black and toffee brown. The only drawback is that you can't post this pen. Considering Newson's biggest success is the chair you can't really sit on that is probably not a surprise. But since Legrand Doue is not comfortable when posted (too top heavy) this would not be a game changer.

I am still making up my mind. I am deciding between Montblanc M and Pentagon FP by Industrial Facility. If the price for Pentagon would drop from 650 pounds to something closer to 400 I would probably go for it.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me roughly how long a Montblanc M rollerball refill lasts? It seems quite expensive compared to the regular refills.

Hello, everyone. I've had the Montblanc M (fine nib) for about three months now. Has anyone experienced a drying problem with it? The pen would refuse to write if left unused for as little as a day! As a matter of fact I had it refuse to write twice in one day day: It refused to write in the morning so I unscrewed the barrel and squeezed the cartridge to get some ink flowing - started to work; later in the afternoon... same thing again! I have used several Montblanc cartridges and it's always behaving the same way. Any advice?

Has anyone experienced a drying problem with it? ...

I have used several Montblanc cartridges and it's always behaving the same way. Any advice?

Quite the opposite here, using it for about two months now. I have used it with Montblanc Irish Green, Iroshizuku Momiji and Yama-Budo and now Montblanc Lavender Purple. This Lavender Purple seems to be the most dry, but that is merely a sort of a grainy feeling with this ink. Never had any hard starts or skips or the pen drying up on me. It is one of the daily writers at the moment, but typically in weekends it hybernates and starts fine next monday.

The relative humidity in this part of the world was never below 53 percent in these last two months, that might make a difference. But I'm inclined to go with jar: bring it in and let them sort it out.

Had mine for about a month. Liked the design but wasn't convinced I'd like it in the hand- I prefer a cap that posts. However, the pen is well engineered and I'm happy without the cap posting.

I've had problems in the past with fine nibs and I avoid them now.

Diamine Imperial Purple in mine at the moment.

My problem is that I can't decide which of the 3 MBs in my current rotation to take out! (M, Starwalker and Heritage 1912 - since you asked!) Lots of other nice pens that need swapping back into use.

My problem is that I can't decide which of the 3 MBs in my current rotation to take out! (M, Starwalker and Heritage 1912 - since you asked!) Lots of other nice pens that need swapping back into use.

Now that's a good problem to have! Congrats on the M by the way

Can anyone tell me roughly how long a Montblanc M rollerball refill lasts? It seems quite expensive compared to the regular refills.

Rollerball? Refill!! Why? Refill is a refill. Bic will do the job, and it is a MOMA permanent collection item. (unlike Lamy 2000)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. First time poster here.

I am very interested in the rollerball/artfineliner version of this pen, but am a bit confused about the refills used. Does anyone know if the capless rollerball refills are the same dimensions as the regular rollarballs? Likewise, are the artfineliner refills the same as the regular fineliner listed on the MB website?

In an ideal world, I would like to have the option of using other refills, and have read that Pilot G2 cartridges typically work in MB rollerballs. If this is no longer the case with the new capless system, then I'm not sure this is the pen for me.

Any experience with the artfineliner? I would like to either buy the ball pen or the artfineliner/rollerball version of the Montblanc M. I will use it for writing/annotating and wonder if the artfineliner is good for writing or to thin and really only for drawing.

The MB capless rollerball is a rebranded Schmidt capless refill, short version. Identical to the refill in the Retro 51. Same used in the retractable MB 1912. Very similar, if not the same, as the capless Lamy refills (Swift, Dialog 2).

Clearly NOT the same as the waterbased ink in standard MB rollerball, and certainly NOT interchangeable.

Good point - this assures access to the capless refill into the future, and at better price 😉

Dr. Scrawl

New joiner to the forum and world of "expensive" pens i.e. anything that costs more than what the average office worker is provided with. I purchased a Montblanc Meisterstuck Platinum Legrand rollerball a week ago and love it. It will be my pen for home and on-the-go use, but I plan to get another Montblanc for the office (I like how they generally look and feel) - a rollerball preferably, though I am conscious that standard office notebooks suit ballpoints when writing double sided.

As per a previous post on here, I would classify myself as that of the Apple target demographic, and I believe that the M is for the same. For me, I want an office pen that is understated in appearance at a glance (though can be appreciated on closer inspection), and feels premium in the hand - like my iPhone 5. This is exactly that, especially when compared to the Starwalker models, which I am also considering, but look much more old fashioned (specifically the top of the cap that screams "look at me" in an open office environment).

Edited by kepa

Consider the Starwalker Urban Speed. Very low profile MB. Also note that the M rollerball refill is NOT the same as your LeGrand. No fine point available, writes thicker with more bleeding of the ink. Different technology. The Urban Speed uses the same type rollerball as your LeGrand though the refill sizes are not interchangeable.

Just be aware.

Edited by rsx

Dr. Scrawl

Consider the Starwalker Urban Speed. Very low profile MB. Also note that the M rollerball refill is NOT the same as your LeGrand. No fine point available, writes thicker with more bleeding of the ink. Different technology. The Urban Speed uses the same type rollerball as your LeGrand though the refill sizes are not interchangeable.

Just be aware.

You mention that the M rollerball takes Schmidt capless refills. Is this confirmed? As after further demoing of the M, I found it writes a little bolder than I would like, but I notice that Schmidt have fine point refill. Would that work? If not, I will probably go for the Starwalker.

Glad you asked. There is no doubt that the MB capless roller refill is a rebranded Schmidt capless BUT Montblanc made a slight change - the black top cap of the refill is about 2 mm narrower than the standard Schmidt.

This means that the standard refill won't fit the retractable Heritage 1912, which I have. I don't know for sure if it will fit the M, but my guess is that MB does not want you to use someone else's refill.

Like you, I love the way the standard MB rollerball writes, but feel the capless is too broad for my handwriting. MB has told me they have no plans for a fine point capless refill. So, for now I would be cautious of the M rollerball. You could opt for an M ballpoint or Urban Speed rollerball which writes like your LeGrand.

Dr. Scrawl

You mention that the M rollerball takes Schmidt capless refills. Is this confirmed? As after further demoing of the M, I found it writes a little bolder than I would like, but I notice that Schmidt have fine point refill. Would that work? If not, I will probably go for the Starwalker.

Why not get cheap rollerball and use Schmidt refill? Problem solved, same writing experience and less money thrown away..

Glad you asked. There is no doubt that the MB capless roller refill is a rebranded Schmidt capless BUT Montblanc made a slight change - the black top cap of the refill is about 2 mm narrower than the standard Schmidt.

This means that the standard refill won't fit the retractable Heritage 1912, which I have. I don't know for sure if it will fit the M, but my guess is that MB does not want you to use someone else's refill.

Like you, I love the way the standard MB rollerball writes, but feel the capless is too broad for my handwriting. MB has told me they have no plans for a fine point capless refill. So, for now I would be cautious of the M rollerball. You could opt for an M ballpoint or Urban Speed rollerball which writes like your LeGrand.

Thank you for your reply. Very informative. I think I will stay clear of the M for now, which is a shame as I like the aesthetics and think the magnetic cap is a neat feature.

Why not get cheap rollerball and use Schmidt refill? Problem solved, same writing experience and less money thrown away..

To be honest, I would be lying if I said the aesthetics and feel of the pen didn't matter to me. I certainly like the Montblanc pens for their style. The Meisterstuck legrand I have has a certain old fashioned elegance and inspires me to use it, but I think the modern lines of the M is perfect for the office. I suppose a rollerball for work need not be so demanding, but it sure would be nice to have a pen that didn't feel like a compromise as I don't plan to own a number of pens, just have a few that I really like.

To be honest, I would be lying if I said the aesthetics and feel of the pen didn't matter to me. I certainly like the Montblanc pens for their style. The Meisterstuck legrand I have has a certain old fashioned elegance and inspires me to use it, but I think the modern lines of the M is perfect for the office. I suppose a rollerball for work need not be so demanding, but it sure would be nice to have a pen that didn't feel like a compromise as I don't plan to own a number of pens, just have a few that I really like.

Maybe you could consider M fountain pen? The nib is one of the stiffest nibs I ever tried, lays even line, writes pretty much as a rollerball (or Parker 51 for that matter). Plus side is you can have more fun with inks and still use it as a workhorse for brief notes.